10 Wins From 16 Should Be Enough

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unique up until last season, but there's lots of competition at the top of the table now - more than last year IMO.

We don't need to monitor anybody's results. There's no point. We just need to win as many points as possible and hope its enough.
Yes, that's pretty obvious, but it's only natural to look at the teams who are likely to be challenging us for 4th. I'm going to take a bit more interest in LFC, MU, Everton's results than Fulham or WH for example.

After the past couple of season's of 'what if's and finishing 4th but STILL not getting CL... I daren't hope, nor calculate anything!
Even if we finished 4th, we've seen how 'Spursy' it can turn out!
3rd is probably out of the question... so we'll just have to do what we can to finish 4th, and hope Man Utd don't go and win the feckin' CL!!! (being denied once like that was bad enough... but twice and I might have to consider my position at the club!!)

These thread always seem to be quickly followed by us ballsing up a few games

it might have more to do with the time of the season that people start to think about the finishing line, rather than them jinxing our form.

Think it's going to go down to the final day again. Possibly as a 3 way shoot out this time. I think a lot will depend on how seriously tiger Tim takes the Europa league. On the one hand he knows that finishing 4th will give him a huge shout to continue as manager. However he may know his days are numbered no matter what and see the Europa league as his big chance to win a trophy and go down in history.

All said, I definitively wouldn't want to be speculating about projected points totals right now. Not after last season. What's for sure is that a win vs Everton at home is crucial and we need to come away from anfield with at least a draw.

These thread always seem to be quickly followed by us ballsing up a few games

it might have more to do with the time of the season that people start to think about the finishing line, rather than them jinxing our form.

I doubt a few words written on a forum could jinx much but each to their own..

It was designed to see which games anyone could see us picking up the required 30 points.

After the past couple of season's of 'what if's and finishing 4th but STILL not getting CL... I daren't hope, nor calculate anything!
Even if we finished 4th, we've seen how 'Spursy' it can turn out!
3rd is probably out of the question... so we'll just have to do what we can to finish 4th, and hope Man Utd don't go and win the feckin' CL!!! (being denied once like that was bad enough... but twice and I might have to consider my position at the club!!)

If we finish 4th and United win the CL I honestly think I might go on a rampage in Piccadilly gardens!

See the 'Don't Panic' thread...

Honestly think that you need to be thinking nearer to 80 points to be certain of top 4.

When you hit that then you can pretty much relax.

Luckily we have players coming back from injury at the right time and players finding form.

We seems to be getting results against the teams we should be beating... We need to make sure we pick up points against the team around us.

Oddly it isn't the 5-0 6-0 results that will cost us... It's the West Ham, West Brom and Newcastle games... Just one win... One goal even against West Brom and one at Newcastle and we'd be fourth...

... If we had won all three we'd be top.

I appreciate it's all if and buts and you could say the same about any team, but it is these results that really did the damage for AVB... No one likes a heavy loss, but we would could have had those losses and still be top four.

I just hope we don't get spanked by City. Happy with a point. We need to be solid in defence and try and really get at them... Hopefully we can play Chirches and Vertonghen at the back. Vertonghen and Sandro coming back from injury could be huge

If we are in pole position with the last 6 games that we have left and we fuck it up then it will be Spursy

See the 'Don't Panic' thread...

Honestly think that you need to be thinking nearer to 80 points to be certain of top 4.

When you hit that then you can pretty much relax.

Luckily we have players coming back from injury at the right time and players finding form.

We seems to be getting results against the teams we should be beating... We need to make sure we pick up points against the team around us.

Oddly it isn't the 5-0 6-0 results that will cost us... It's the West Ham, West Brom and Newcastle games... Just one win... One goal even against West Brom and one at Newcastle and we'd be fourth...

... If we had won all three we'd be top.

I appreciate it's all if and buts and you could say the same about any team, but it is these results that really did the damage for AVB... No one likes a heavy loss, but we would could have had those losses and still be top four.

I just hope we don't get spanked by City. Happy with a point. We need to be solid in defence and try and really get at them... Hopefully we can play Chirches and Vertonghen at the back. Vertonghen and Sandro coming back from injury could be huge
Good post. 100%

Because I'm bored...

Man City H - 0
Hull A - 3
Everton H -1
Newcastle A -1
Norwich A -3
Cardiff H -3
Chelsea A -0
Woolwich H -1
Soton H -3
Liverpool A -0
Sunderland H -3
West Brom A -3
Fulham H -3
Stoke A -3
West Ham A -3 (hopefully sending them down please god)
Villa H -3

32 points. However we don't take 3 points off of Liverpool or Everton so god knows how that leves things

Everton are really good this year. They are overachieving but only because their team of players aren't as capable as some other teams including us. They are set up well, believe is good, tactics are good, it's a team. But I think they will fall short in a similar way to how Newcastle did a couple of seasons ago.

Liverpool are very similar to Everton this year, but the difference there is that they do have a world class forward in Suarez. He is a cunt, but he is a great footballer and if he stays injury free then they will continue to push us hard for fourth.

United aren't a serious threat this year IMO. They have a few very good players, but they have injuries, some of the best players have aged, a lack of belief, lots of pressure, bad form and a manager who isn't big enough for the role.

I think we are favourites personally. I'd be pretty confident of getting 31 points out of the next 16 and I think we will need that extra point this year because it is going to be tight. We have good form, a big squad, talent in most positions, big players to come back from injury soon, a striker who is scoring goals. The only question for me is whether our manager is good enough - so far, he has suggested that he is. But there are 16 games to go so we will have to see how he does.

Woolwich are likely to get third I think - but you never know, they could slip up badly if things start going against them and they see the tropies disapearing again for at least another season.

Man City H - 0
Hull A - 3
Everton H - 0
Newcastle A - 1
Norwich A - 3
Cardiff H - 3
Chelsea A - 1
Woolwich H - 0
Soton H -3
Liverpool A - 1
Sunderland H - 3
West Brom A - 3
Fulham H - 3
Stoke A - 3
West Ham A - 3 (sending these fuckers down)
Villa H - 1

edit: Also, haven't they changed the CL qualification rules to include the 4th team now, even if another team outside the top four win it. I thought I read that they changed that so that it won't happen again?

Last edited:
Utd and Liverpool are similar in that they each have outstanding front pairs and a hell of a lot depends on that.
If Suarez/Sturridge or RVP/Rooney get injured I expect their team to fall away, if they dont I expect them to be favourites for 4th.

Ive fully expected Everton to fall away and yet they havent. They have lost only 2 all season, remarkable, and have strengthened smartly so far.

McGeady and Traore (assuming he signs) are very good players who can help Everton to results - so while I dont think it likely they will be there come the end of the season I think it would be wrong to rule them out.

We have some serious competition.

Back
Top Bottom