10 Wins From 16 Should Be Enough

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

we need to do the following things to nail down a top 4 finish

1) exit the europa league (might ruffle the feathers of europa league apologists)
2)Keep Adebayor injury free and motivated ( do not risk him when necessary)
3)Keep eriksen injury free too (Another vital goal scorer and creator)
4)Patch up the crack in our defence,Bring in a decent central defender ( lescott?)
5) Bring in a decent left back (Ekotto back?)
6)Do not reduce our depth, we have returned to one striker and rightfully so, means our attacking midfielders will get a shout
7) Reintroduce Lamela ,this could be our ace under the sleeve

1) exit the europa league (might ruffle the feathers of europa league apologists)
4)Patch up the crack in our defence,Bring in a decent central defender ( lescott?)
6)Do not reduce our depth, we have returned to one striker and rightfully so, means our attacking midfielders will get a shout
We have enough depth in our squad to fight in Europe and in the league. Why do we keep blaming that tournament when Champions League teams have enough in them to fight on both fronts?

BAE probably won't come back. I think that I remember Sherwood saying something like that in a press conference.

No one will come in either. Maybe a striker on loan, but otherwise it will be more yoof that will be promoted I think.

We certainly shouldn't exit the Europa. We have plenty of depth to cover both competitions, IF we buy. I agree Lescott would be great, if not a similar type of utility defender. Also need another keeper, and another striker.

Once again, time for ENIC to show some ambition or almost certainly another trophyless season, and no CL either.

Let's just start with #7 ....

“My moment will come and I will make the difference"

We have enough depth in our squad to fight in Europe and in the league. Why do we keep blaming that tournament when Champions League teams have enough in them to fight on both fronts?

BAE probably won't come back. I think that I remember Sherwood saying something like that in a press conference.

No one will come in either. Maybe a striker on loan, but otherwise it will be more yoof that will be promoted I think.

Rubbish, we do not have enough depth to rotate the squad completely. Our long haul trips to Russia,Modolva and Norway has disrupted the preparation of weekend games, not to mention the fans are negative because they have to watch all the other teams win on saturday. Playing wednesday night in italy/spain is not the same as playing thursday nights in some brothel on the other side of europe.

I don't think we should exit the Europa deliberately. I do think it should play second fiddle to the premier league in all games except a final though. We have enough talented youth and fringe players not getting enough minutes that the Europa will be a good way for Timmie to keep everyone happy. We are already out of the other cup competitions don't forget, so it is only these two.

Rubbish, we do not have enough depth to rotate the squad completely. Our long haul trips to Russia,Modolva and Norway has disrupted the preparation of weekend games, not to mention the fans are negative because they have to watch all the other teams win on saturday. Playing wednesday night in italy/spain is not the same as playing thursday nights in some brothel on the other side of europe.
Well the majority of the shit sides who play on the other side of the world are out now, which leaves us with the ones who play in France, Spain, Germany, etc. Kane will probably get thrown in at the deep end for EL games in the style of Bentaleb, so we have some cover for up front. Plus we have Defoe until March. We have the potential to fight on both fronts.

Man City H - 0
Hull A - 3
Everton H -1
Newcastle A -1
Norwich A -3
Cardiff H -3
Chelsea A -0
Woolwich H -1
Soton H -3
Liverpool A -1
Sunderland H -3
West Brom A -3
Fulham H -3
Stoke A -3
West Ham A -3
Villa H -3

Should be enough. Those games against Everton/LFC are huge. Also remember that this is LFC's run in after they play us

West Ham (A)
Manchester City (H)
Norwich City (A)
Chelsea (H)
Crystal Palace (A)
Newcastle United (H)

I can see them dropping 6 there to City and Chelsea so if we stay within touching distance and get a good result against them then we should be having CL at the Lane next season.. Everton aren't as big of a threat IMO as they don't have a strong squad as us but neither of Everton/LFC have Europa to deal with.

Utd can be a force when RVP/Rooney are back which scares me as they've only lost once when both of them play together but we SHOULD finish above them if we keep everyone fit. We also have to think though, games like WBA at home would be nailed on 3 points if I was predicting at the start of the season so there's going to be blips from everyone. It's going to be a very tight season but I think we can do it

No one's mentioned goal difference. Our's is crap and could bite us in the bum come end of May. Last year Norwich, West Brom early doors took points off us and the fateful Fulham 0 1 home defeat done us. A similar story this season so far but we are in the mix which is more than we could have asked for thinking back to when I was walking to Seven Sisters after the Pool mauling. Before anyone asks yes I did leave leave early at 0 3.....

I think someone did mention GD, but it's of little importance compared to 30 points or more. If we end the season with one more point than Pool, they'll have the superior GD, but that will be scant consolation to them.

Re the Europa, I hope Tim leaves at home all the players he has pencilled into play on the Sunday, but we'll still have a good team, IF we bolster our squad now.

New keeper, Naughton Vlad new defender/Kab Fryers/new defender, Lennon Capoue Siggy Holtby Kane Defoe as an example

Last edited:
Utd and Liverpool are similar in that they each have outstanding front pairs and a hell of a lot depends on that.
If Suarez/Sturridge or RVP/Rooney get injured I expect their team to fall away, if they dont I expect them to be favourites for 4th.

Ive fully expected Everton to fall away and yet they havent. They have lost only 2 all season, remarkable, and have strengthened smartly so far.

McGeady and Traore (assuming he signs) are very good players who can help Everton to results - so while I dont think it likely they will be there come the end of the season I think it would be wrong to rule them out.

We have some serious competition.
Agreed on the competitive side of things - what I don't get is why some people think that it will require more points to get one of the top slots, if there are more clubs taking the points, then there are less to be had. Or is it that the belief is that the gap between the top 6 or7 and everyone else is getting bigger?
The latter sounds more plausible, which shows the accuracy of sibs post, in that points dropped against the outsiders will probably be far more costly than the ones lost against the elite.
The tighter it becomes, the more telling our abysmal goals for tally will become

Or is it that the belief is that the gap between the top 6 or7 and everyone else is getting bigger?

That is my thinking. The league used to be subdivided, for example mini competitions of 1st-3rd, 4th-7th, 8th-11th, 12th-15th, 16th-20th.
It was quite clearly defined, and you could watch a team progress or regress through the layers.

Now, IMO, you have 1st-3rd, 4th-8th, 9th-20th. There is a divide from above midtable to the bottom. Look at the table, 20 points between 1st and 9th, 6 between 10th and 20th (and 7 between 9th and 10th)

Villa are tenth and have no comfort in that midtable position whatsoever, in a few of weeks they could be sacking their manager for falling to the relegation zone...

There is a chasm between the top teams and the bottom, there never used to be such a gulf IMHO.

Optimistic

Man City H - 1
Hull A - 3
Everton H - 3
Newcastle A - 3
Norwich A - 3
Cardiff H - 3
Chelsea A - 0
Woolwich H - 3
Soton H -3
Liverpool A - 1
Sunderland H - 3