TAG AND SOS

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you missed the point. Some of us have been saying for almost two years that we needed a DM and a striker, while Sammy has been saying that Bony and Schneiderlin would have been a waste of money as they were shit. This makes it especially strange that he gives us his 'told you so' on this point

Ok I get it but I'm not a Bony fan and not sure Schneiderlin is any better than Dier.

If you look at the team that finished the game against Sunderland in Bale's last game, and the team that played vs Everton, we clearly have gone backwards. Mainly because of Bale, though. Take Bale out of that team and there is little to choose between that side and our current one. I'd probably say the older side is still slightly better, even without Bale, but it's arguable.

We have spent money badly since then. Our chance of fighting for top 4 depends on being able to sign unproven players who then come to be very good, or for such players to come through the youth system, and of course how well the manager/coach does. But it's a tough ask when you look at who we are competing against, and the advantages those sides have, even if one or more of them underperform. There's always going to be games we should win that we don't, and although the league table last year said that 71 points (or 70 with a very good goal difference) would have been enough for top four, you can bet that if we had challenged til the end that total would have been higher, I would guess 76 points...if Man Utd & Woolwich had needed to win games at the end.

Kane probably could have got something close to that this off season if he wasn't a Yid.

I wish Poch would use Bentaleb and Mason further forward. We will never know their full potential played out of position. At least Mason has been used there recently. But with these new signings I think it will be back to being AVB'd.
I think there's a good reason we haven't seen that. Both struggle to score. You might say that they haven't had enough chances playing deeper, but I'd say they've both had plenty, especially Mason, and we've seen enough to conclude their chance-conversion rate is too poor to be playing in that position.

I think there's a good reason we haven't seen that. Both struggle to score. You might say that they haven't had enough chances playing deeper, but I'd say they've both had plenty, especially Mason, and we've seen enough to conclude their chance-conversion rate is too poor to be playing in that position.

Plenty? One (Mason) has played a SINGLE full 90 as an AM. Not one of them have played 2 full games as an AM yet.

They have been DM's. Only this season has Mason been used and I'm still not sure if he's even completed a full 90 with subs etc.

They can only be judged in that aspect after a season of being an AM. Or at least a couple of months.

Also: Mason was one of the best players on the pitch when he did. We found out the hard way when Lamela replaced him.

Btw Mason used to score a ridiculous amount of goals as an AM. 58 goals in a youth season.

We need to see where his natural position takes him.

He's been Dembele'd. So sick of AVB era square pegs in round holes.

Plenty? One (Mason) has played a SINGLE full 90 as an AM. Not one of them have played 2 full games as an AM yet.

They have been DM's. Only this season has Mason been used and I'm still not sure if he's even completed a full 90 with subs etc.

They can only be judged in that aspect after a season of being an AM. Or at least a couple of months.

Also: Mason was one of the best players on the pitch when he did. We found out the hard way when Lamela replaced him.
Sorry, my post was poorly worded. I know they have been playing as DM's, but even in that position they have had enough chances on goal and have been very poor in that regard. From that my opinion is they are not good enough in front of goal to be playing further forward, regardless of 58 goals in a youth season. I like them both but they haven't been dangerous enough. Even playing in that role you would expect them to contribute more goals. From what I've seen they are better at defensive work.

Don't forget scraping a 2-2 draw at home to Stoke who took us to the cleaners when Harry went off!
Or the goalless home draw against Everton where we could well have lost it!

Not good enough IMO but some on here seem happy with these performances!

Wait until we play someone decent!

Surely we'll beat the Mackems on Sunday the worst team in the prem.
Won't we???

:vertna:
We drew against Stoke and Everton at home during the Redknapp era, you're argument is stupid and you should feel stupid

And the management's statement thread, and the ENIC thread, and just about every other one since it's always the same 5 people saying the same 2 things.

Its called having a consistent argument.

Lets see what you have claimed the last few weeks:
The squad needs improving
The squad is fine
Dont want signings
Want signings as the squad can be improved
Dont want signings cos we cant afford it
The window was good, happy with the squad
Squad could still be strengthened
Happy with Levy´s transfer policy
Happy with Poch
SAF, Jose and Pep would do no better with this squad as its weak
Squad is strong
Building for future, dont need signings
We are better now than when we was in the CL
Need to pay players 200 grand a week to finish 4th
Cant compete without money
Could still finish 4th without money
But cant compete without money
But could still finish 4th without money
But probably wont
Maths said we probably wont
But we could
But we need money
But we might
But we probably wont
We are a 5th wage bill team so finishing 5th is par
But it will be unlikely to finish 5th with this squad
6th would be ok
4th was lucky
We are better now, but dont expect 5th
We need to mould our academy players into 200 grand a week players
Thats the only way
We cannot build a top 4 team
We can build a top 4 team
But Utd and Liverpool spent money
Our £110M to finish 6th doesnt count
The £50M we spent this window doesnt count
The £22M we tried to spend on deadline day doesnt count
We are broke and need a stadium to come 4th
Coming 4th twice before was a one off

Its called having a consistent argument.

Lets see what you have claimed the last few weeks:
The squad needs improving
The squad is fine
Dont want signings
Want signings as the squad can be improved
Dont want signings cos we cant afford it
The window was good, happy with the squad
Squad could still be strengthened
Happy with Levy´s transfer policy
Happy with Poch
SAF, Jose and Pep would do no better with this squad as its weak
Squad is strong
Building for future, dont need signings
We are better now than when we was in the CL
Need to pay players 200 grand a week to finish 4th
Cant compete without money
Could still finish 4th without money
But cant compete without money
But could still finish 4th without money
But probably wont
Maths said we probably wont
But we could
But we need money
But we might
But we probably wont
We are a 5th wage bill team so finishing 5th is par
But it will be unlikely to finish 5th with this squad
6th would be ok
4th was lucky
We are better now, but dont expect 5th
We need to mould our academy players into 200 grand a week players
Thats the only way
We cannot build a top 4 team
We can build a top 4 team
But Utd and Liverpool spent money
Our £110M to finish 6th doesnt count
The £50M we spent this window doesnt count
The £22M we tried to spend on deadline day doesnt count
We are broke and need a stadium to come 4th
Coming 4th twice before was a one off
You really do try so very hard to misrepresent everyone else for the sake of starting arguments, don't you. Not really sure why, but given how much you post, it seems to be spawned by some lack of attention in the real world.

Sammy. Are you really so dumb as to not see that those things can be said in almost the same sentence? We don't have the resources to build a champions league quality squad right now, that is true. But if things go our way and we get lucky we could end up in a champions league spot anyway. Just like we have done before.

Idiot. :dembelefingers:

I havent misinterpreted a thing. You say a different thing every post:

One post 5 minutes after the other. You go around and around and around and deny meaning anything you say, and saying whatever comes into your head that second.

Now your new mantra is "the wage bill". You read an article the other day, and now thats your thing.
Its pathetic.

Go on and explain away the quotes above with another essay starting with "still not getting it Sammy"....
Oh I get it alright...its in plain English.

We dont have the resources to build a Champion's League quality squad right now

But

It doesn't mean we can't reach the Champion's League

Fucking mug
The only mug is you. We don't have that money to buy a Champion's League club off the shelf. Literally. We cannot pay for a squad of 25 Champion's League players. We don't have the money to pay for either that much in transfer fees, or that much in wages.

That does not mean it is impossible for us to finish in the top 4. It means that it is highly improbable. Shit can happen, and a freak season could come our way. But it's not likely.

There is nothing inconsistent in what I have said. What is inconsistent is your ability to actually understand what's written.

Who has asked for that? No one, thats right

Why is it improbable?

Yet AGAIN, I will wait for you to answer how much we would have needed to spend last year to take 7pts, instead of 1pt from Stoke, WBA and Palace?
Is that point tally so highly improbable to you?

You seem to think that Utd are the Utd from 1999, and arse are the team from 2002.

Both have been catchable for a few years now.

Bottle, heart and mentality doesnt cost a thing. We are not 40 points off 4th.
Even the AVB/Tim tag team of shit only finish 10pts off 4th. You are fucking deluded.

The simple fact is, our transfer policy sucks, we have substantially weakened the squad, and our manager is actually not showing that he has what it takes. Time will tell, but making up points, consistently against the likes of West Brom, and not getting done 3-0 at home to West Ham is what gets you top 4.

You dont even need to beat the the rest of the top 5 to get there, so there is zero need to "buy 25" world class players, and no one has even said anything of the sort.

A striker and a DM and we might have stood a chance. MUG

By your argument Chelsea shouldn't be getting done 5-3 by us. Or getting beaten by any team for that matter, since on paper they have the strongest squad in the league. Can you explain how that happened? Can you explain how Chelsea didn't take 6 points from us last year even though on paper we have a worse squad and a worse manager than them? Is it because we played better on the day? Much like West Ham did against us? You need to stop acting like you can buy points. IF you could buy points then UTD would have won the league last year and will win it again.

And Liverpool would finish above us, not below us.

And even without signing a striker or a DM we still stand a chance. MUG.

They made up for it by winning the PL you fucking idiot

That still doesn't excuse the fact that we beat them. We could still finish 4th this year. There was always an outside chance of us finishing 4th last year. Because we are an outside bet. Nobody but you seems to expect that we should be finishing 4th because once again, the jump from 5th to 4th IS THE FUCKING BIGGEST JUMP IN THE LEAGUE

Let's say we make up the 10 points we need this season to get a champions league spot with last years points total. It will count for fuck all if UTD, Chelsea, City and Arse all improve their points tally on last year by cutting out their defeats to smaller clubs. If no teams lost to clubs smaller than them, the league table wouldn't look that much different. In fact, we'd be finishing 6th instead of 5th.

That still doesn't excuse the fact that we beat them. We could still finish 4th this year. There was always an outside chance of us finishing 4th last year. Because we are an outside bet. Nobody but you seems to expect that we should be finishing 4th because once again, the jump from 5th to 4th IS THE FUCKING BIGGEST JUMP IN THE LEAGUE
Are you really a Cocky Jocky?

They made up for it by winning the PL you fucking idiot
Nice try at a topic change. They still lost to us. Why didn't they win that one game? They're obviously better than us, since they won the league, so why didn't they beat us? If they're the better team, then they should win the game, every time, right?

If not, then you also have the same reason we lost the games you harp on about. Shit happens.

Your posts have shown that you don't understand the concept of probability. As such, I am done with the discussion, as you're literally incapable of understanding the topic.

But by your logic clubs shouldn't be losing to smaller clubs than them. Meaning by your logic bare in mind, that the highest we can finish in the league would be 6th.

By Sammy's logic we need not even play any games, just wait to see who spent most in the transfer window and hand them the points accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom