TAG AND SOS

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But by your logic clubs shouldn't be losing to smaller clubs than them.

No, by my logic, its possible to finish 4th without paying players 200 grand a week, and with a bit of consistency, a capable manager, and a chairman backing him wisely in the market, we could do that.

As you pointed out, Chelsea lost games but still won the PL.

You are countering your own fucking nonsense. The difference is, they did enough to make up those losses and achieve their targets.

We did not. It wasnt impossible though, it was due to poor management, poor man management, poor performances, lack of squad rotation, lack of belief, players making stupid mistakes and a general lack of stability within the club.

No, by my logic, its possible to finish 4th without paying players 200 grand a week, and with a bit of consistency, a capable manager, and a chairman backing him wisely in the market, we could do that.

As you pointed out, Chelsea lost games but still won the PL.

You are countering your own fucking nonsense. The difference is, they did enough to make up those losses and achieve their targets.

We did not. It wasnt impossible though, it was due to poor management, poor man management, poor performances, lack of squad rotation, lack of belief, players making stupid mistakes and a general lack of stability within the club.

If it was possible then everyone would be doing it. And that's just a fact. Why would Chelsea, City, Woolwich and Utd all be paying players 200k a week otherwise? Because they have too much money and want rid of some of it? Jog on mate.

If it was possible then everyone would be doing it.

Have you heard of some teams being better than others?
Just because it was possible for us, doesnt mean it was possible for Newcastle, or Burnley.

Why would Chelsea, City, Woolwich and Utd all be paying players 200k a week otherwise?
Because their target is not to scrape 4th by a point or two...shall I tell you what their targets are? Are you thick?

Why should we need to pay the wages of PL and CL winning teams, when out target is 4th and a plucky domestic cup run?

Because they have too much money and want rid of some of it?
No, because they have world class players as their intentions are to win the league, and beat the likes of Barca and Bayern in CL Finals. Thats the price of the top of the game.

Trying to get 4th is not the same as trying to win the CL, and PL.

How can you not understand that..
:avbfacepalm:

Have you heard of some teams being better than others?
Just because it was possible for us, doesnt mean it was possible for Newcastle, or Burnley.

Because their target is not to scrape 4th by a point or two...shall I tell you what their targets are? Are you thick?

Why should we need to pay the wages of PL and CL winning teams, when out target is 4th and a plucky domestic cup run?

No, because they have world class players as their intentions are to win the league, and beat the likes of Barca and Bayern in CL Finals. Thats the price of the top of the game.

Trying to get 4th is not the same as trying to win the CL, and PL.

How can you not understand that..
:avbfacepalm:

How can you not understand that in order to compete for top 4 against teams who pay their players 200k a week, we need to pay our player 200k a week as well? Are you actually thick? You have just agreed they are all competing for the title, so how catastrophic would it be if they spent all that money and finished below us while we only pay our top players about 80k a week?

Can you honestly not see how dumb what you just said was?

If we get top 4, we gave built a team capable of getting top 4.

You and Juicy Sushi think that if you pay players 200 grand a week and get top 4, then you have built a team to get top 4.

If you pay them 80 grand a week, and you get top 4, its because we got lucky and things went our way.

Your arguments are a fucking farce.

Sammy do me a favour and check on Wikipedia the teams that have qualified for the champions league each year from its inception and you will notice that it is always the big spending big wage bill teams that qualify there will be a few exceptions that prove the rule like us and Everton and maybe Newcastle back in the day but all the rest including leeds got there by having vastly higher expenses than the rest. Of course it is possible for us too qualify but it is a long shot and there is 19 years worth of evidence to support this theory.

Is it possible to qualify for the CL. Yes

But it means we need to have a balanced, stable squad. It's not just talent, wages etc. the reason why we got top 4 under Redknapp was that we had a good team with players right for the manager, I still feel we lacked depth back then but the first 11 was good.

Since then due to manager changes, odd transfers etc we have not been had the stability nor the squad to play at 100% of our potential so even when teams like Man City have had bad seasons we have not been in a position to capitalise.

For me we have a good if unproven manager, some stability and in certain areas good players. However by not getting a cover striker or DM any outside chance of top 4 now looks bleak. We might not be able to buy the richest players but if we have a better balanced squad than our rivals we can compete that way. I feel it's a missed opportunity.

Maybe the Berahino and Witsel deals where impossible I don't know but those two would have left us with a pretty complete squad, 2-3 decent players per position. Woolwich, United,IMO have balance issues that's where we could have had advantages.

Last edited:
Why is it improbable?
Because it has only happened about 3 times in the last 20 years..

Yet AGAIN, I will wait for you to answer how much we would have needed to spend last year to take 7pts, instead of 1pt from Stoke, WBA and Palace?
Is that point tally so highly improbable to you?
Man Utd spent about 170 millions to come 6 points ahead of us. Its hard to fight that, and add to that our horrible mess 13/14 season..

And it happen to us 2 times in the last 5

Thank you.
Man Utd spent 170M to fight for the PL and CL. Yet wins against WBA and Stoke at home, and a draw at Stoke away would have seen us in the CL ahead of them.

Those 7pts did not require 200 grand a week wages.

Some people claim we dominated Utd away despite their spending and our young squad. So why is their spending being used now, by the same people to claim we cant finish 4th, ahead of them.

Why are people who claimed that Liverpool spending money did not equate to them strengthening, now claiming it will be difficult to finish above them due to their spending?

Why are people who were saying we had a better window than Woolwich, and are much stronger than last season now saying we cant finish above them? How much have Woolwich spent the last decade?

We have spent more. Why have´nt we caught them?

Why are people who claimed we underachieved by not coming 3rd under Redknapp, now saying its improbable to finish 4th, even though we have not regressed?

Why are people who claimed we were lucky to get 4th twice because City were weaker, ignoring the fact that the last few seasons, Utd and Woolwich have been weaker than when we made it?

Why are people saying we dont have the resources to build a top 4 team ignoring that we spent £50M this window, and were on the verge of spending over £70M? And that we spent £110M just two years ago?

And that our net spend is still miniscule meaning that we have recouped, and could have strengthened significantly?

Why are people who were screaming that we spend £27M Schniderlin last summer, when I was saying we should stick with Mason, Capoue and Bentaleb, now saying we cant afford a DM and we have to go with youth?

Why are people who wrote off Stambouli after one season, still happy we didnt cash in on Lamela and get someone decent in?

Why are people saying we cant afford high wages not criticising Poch for not playing our highest earner?

Or Levy for not making it a priority to get him out?

When those concerned can answer those without contradiction, let me know.
It's very hard for us to finish above Woolwich or Man Utd this season because their players are much better than ours. IMO of course.

This pathetic embarrassing thread is 24 pages long and our match thread against Sunderland is 7 pages long says everything to me.
The knowledge of one or two of our so called supporters allows them to barely speak on the match thread ( unless it's to slag off Levy ) but they can spend all day and night talking on this bollocks thread without any problem..
I hate to spoil your little party but we have a game tomorrow, you know actual football, why not try to talk about that and how the team will set up and perform?? Give it a go, you might even enjoy it..instead of setting your alarm every hour through the night so you can make sure you get the last comment in..
You really are a pathetic little loser...I don't even have to mention names..

This pathetic embarrassing thread is 24 pages long and our match thread against Sunderland is 7 pages long says everything to me.
The knowledge of one or two of our so called supporters allows them to barely speak on the match thread ( unless it's to slag off Levy ) but they can spend all day and night talking on this bollocks thread without any problem..
I hate to spoil your little party but we have a game tomorrow, you know actual football, why not try to talk about that and how the team will set up and perform?? Give it a go, you might even enjoy it..instead of setting your alarm every hour through the night so you can make sure you get the last comment in..
You really are a pathetic little loser...I don't even have to mention names..

If all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like nails.

Man Utd have strengthened, so the last few seasons have well been an opportunity missed.
However, they are still in transition. LVG has been there exactly the same time as Poch, the team is not settled and there are reports of dressing room unrest.

Woolwich man for man are stronger, and have depth, plus Wenger.
It will always be difficult to surpass them them but around our CL era, there was a genuine feeling of the North London tide beginning to turn. And that was a stronger Woolwich side.

This is what baffles me when people claim we have not regressed, and absolve Levy of destroying all that progression by not building on it. His trigger finger got it catastrophically wrong, and ever since, we´ve had the DoF model reintroduced and our signings have been in conflict to our managers.

Harry took his eye off the ball with his court case (understandable) and England (less so), but we still got 4th spot.

Levy hiring a DoF as soon as he was sacked speaks volumes. This club needs Yes Men as its "head coach". Redknapp wanted to pick his players, and his targets and that is in direct conflict with Levy and his control freak nature.

People can talk about Poch "being his own man" all they want, but we will see in one of two ways if thats the case:
If he is, he will eventually get sick of not being given the tools he feels he needs to work with and walk, or like AVB before him, get fired for being too stubborn to work with what Levy gives him.

Please dont try to claim he is as happy with Chadli as striker as he would have been with Ings, Benteke or Berahino.
Or that our interest in Witsel was because he sees Dier as his ideal option as DM.

If he´s not a Yes Man, and he is genuinely happy with this squad, then we are in for a very long wait to get back to where we were 5 years ago. How is it progress to be where we was in 2010, some 8 or 9 years later?

Two 4th places and a CL quarter between 2010 and 2012. By 2018, I would have expected a couple trophies and one or two genuine title challenges and a few more top 4 finishes. Thats progress.

To be challenging for top 4 and not making it, (5 and 6 years after getting 4th) with a young squad of inexperienced players, and in transition with our 3rd manager since the one that made the CL, with a weak unbalanced squad, and not one single player left from the CL era is not progress.

And thats not Harry, AVB, Tim or Pochs fault.

Its Daniel fucking Levy´s and this window, like most others, was a joke.
I agree with most of that.

We have regressed, no doubt about it. And I agree the sacking of Harry was a big mistake. I think the blame must also lie with whoever was involved in buying the players the summer after Bale left. Whether it was officially "the Bale money" or not, the fact of the matter is that Levy was happy for us to spend big that summer, and that was our chance to make up for the loss of Bale and maintain our place as top four challengers. We failed miserably. That transfer window, perhaps more than anything else, is where we went wrong, IMO.

But now we are where we are. With the players he had at his disposal, I think Poch had a good first season. You can talk about Stoke, West Brom etc., but equally about beating Chelsea and Woolwich, and getting to a cup final. Man Utd are unsettled, I agree, but look at their team- they're still loads better than us. Liverpool have spent money and look decent. It's going to be hard. 6th would be a good outcome this season, not underachieving. We have to accept where we are now, not base things on where we were a few years ago.

Yes Poch is most likely unhappy with things under Levy, but what do you expect him to do? He wants to keep his job and it's in our best interests that he does, too...if that means he's a yes man then so be it. The last thing we need is another change of manager.

And there we have it....no answers available from the tail chasers and backtrackers, who funnily enough, were happy to contribute to the thread until they hit a brick wall.

So they happy clap as hard as they can and play the "oh you are so negative" card.

The thread is about a Levy Out campaign. I dont agree with that, but you have to be a bit of a thick cunt to come in here and expect unicorns and people lauding our squad. Sigh.

Sorry Sammy you were right about everything well done.

Look with Levy any guy that speaks his mind will get done such as Redknapp, Sherwood etc. Poch keeps his thought to himself, that probably will also keep him his job.

We drew against Stoke and Everton at home during the Redknapp era, you're argument is stupid and you should feel stupid

Why is my argument stupid?

Are you capable of debating the point or do you want to stay in the playground making childish insults?

Twat!

There I've come down to your level!

:vertna:

Agreed

If he is a Yes Man, then he needs to show it by using the squad. Its all very well saying the right things in interviews, but last season when it came to matchday, half the senior squad was thrown out with the rubbish.

He is not being a Yes Man by forcing Levy to sell Stambouli and Capoue after outcasting them, while Mason died on his feet and the team suffered.
He is not being a Yes Man by forcing Levy to pay Adebayor 100 grand a week and not use him while Kane limps into his 20th consecutive month of competative football.
Or by outcasting Fazio and Yedlin, who were signed under his tenure.

We will see how he uses the new signings and it will be soon clear which ones were his choices. We all know Toby was his....no one has seen one minute of Trippier or Wimmer yet though, despite being in situations already this season where 15 or 20 minutes of either would not have hurt anyone.

Njie hasnt been seen, and Poch has cited "needing to train with the team" as the reason. Was that really not worthy of a place on the bench the last couple games?

If we struggle, and Levy is in a position where he needs to sell players signed this window due to them being sidelined as some kind of statement, then Poch is gone.

Not playing Adebayor already cost AVB his job.
Have you ever been sectioned Sammy?

Why is my argument stupid?

Are you capable of debating the point or do you want to stay in the playground making childish insults?

Twat!

There I've come down to your level!

:vertna:
Attempting to have constructive debate here is about as useful as attempting to teach Calculus to Autistic children. There's no point so just embrace the cunt off, you waste of space

Back
Top Bottom