Home Opener (vs. Stoke), 15 Aug, 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Coming into the season, with as much VERY young talent(by top half premier league standards) I had tempered my expectations. As long as we actually play that young talent this season. See some incremental progress individually, & cohesiveness as a young core I don't think it would be the hardest squad to get behind. Whether Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen,Lloris stick around for another year or two to bear the fruits? who knows.

poch wasn't faultless in his decisions today ofcourse, but the main reason we fucked this up is simple, Kane had to come off and we had no recognizable striker on the bench to replace him therefore completing ruining our shape, for what its worth I thought we were quality today until that pivotal moment when we lost kane, but this whole scenario is unforgivable for a club of our stature. PS big up to Kane, even when he is clearly not fit he is still a class above

It's Levy who hires & fires though. & if results don't pick up, it won't be Teflon Dan who gets the boot from the fans. It will be Poch that gets the boot from Teflon Dan. Rinse & repeat.

Poch's severance is cheaper than the players it would take to avoid firing Poch to hide the scent of your confiscatory mismanagement. That's an easy call for our pal Levy.

Think the best aspect about today's game was our players making runs past Kane, giving us an option for the ball over the top rather than constantly trying to play through teams. Really impressive for the fist hour, Kane and Mason in particular were unfortunate not to score. We capitulated after some strong pressing by Stoke, they moved in between the lines between our back four and midfield and cut off any supply, with Kane off we had no out ball and the ball over the top wasn't an option with a complete lack of pace. Hopefully Njie can sort this out, he would of been a wonderful option to come off the bench today, I wholeheartedly agree he should of been on our books a few weeks ago but I'm not assigning blame as to what party is at fault. Mason, Dier, Dembele all played really well, thought we lacked a lot of bite when Mason came off, Bentaleb looks very jaded for some reason, but he could just be off form, that's football, no doubt he'll be a big player for us this year, as might Dier. I do hope more than anything we can bring in an experienced head for our midfield to kill off games, similar with Man U bringing Schwienstieger on for the last 30 mins to try and dictate the tempo. Well done to Stoke lastly, they were brilliant in the second half, Stephen Zidane Ireland had the game of his life, we gave away a patented Chiriches penalty, Arnoutavic had one of his three good games this season, But land made three very good saves (Lloris literally barely had to move for his in fairness today), onward and upwards, shit day but there's no need to fucking boo, so muck. Gonna smash the top of the league next week anyway in the Lineker derby.

Whole new team, new managers same shit still happens

Honestly don't know how we sort it

This is the third young funky progressive manager we have had in a row. Even Harry had a blind spot for making sure we were Soft Spurs.

It's such an easy thing to avoid but time and time again we put wet paper bags in our team.

It's ok to put one Eriksen in there. Or one Lamela in a free role. But you put two on and that's a 50% gap in the middle of the park that's wide open.

Fucking joke. Going two up isn't enough of a clue Poch? How to fuck it up instantly.

Disappointed, of course. But what we suffered from today was lack of depth. Dier and Mason were pretty good but both tired. Replacement available, Bentaleb, was awful. Kane worked very hard but tired. Replacement available, Lamela, is always awful. The latter cost us more, as there was no way of relieving the pressure with a striker in a position to hold the ball in a forward position - and Lamela's only contributions were to give away the ball, or free kicks. I doubt now that he will ever get used to the speed of thought and action needed to play in the BPL.

The next two weeks ought to see 2 strikers and a central midfielder in. With a more robust squad I think we can still do well this year. But I guess it was always going to take time to out 11 players so we were never going to get all the I comings done that early.

Big consolation was Dier first goal at 25-1

Sorry, but anyone who is not royaly fucked off right now are the ones Id question how Spurs they are to be honest

Maybe we don't all take it as seriously as you do mate?

Spurs are important to me, I watch every game I can, go when I can and am elated when we win and disappointed when we drop points, but I have a life, I've got a kid and a wife and a house and a job, and at the end of the day (gonna sound like my Mrs now) it's only football, and only the second game of a long long season at that.

This is the third young funky progressive manager we have had in a row. Even Harry had a blind spot for making sure we were Soft Spurs.

It's such an easy thing to avoid but time and time again we put wet paper bags in our team.

It's ok to put one Eriksen in there. Or one Lamela in a free role. But you put two on and that's a 50% gap in the middle of the park that's wide open.

Fucking joke. Going two up isn't enough of a clue Poch? How to fuck it up instantly.
Fuck off once and for all you worthless goober maggot CUNT

Poch's severance is cheaper than the players it would take to avoid firing Poch to hide the scent of your confiscatory mismanagement. That's an easy call for our pal Levy.

This is my first anti Lev post. I said this manager was his last chance for me.

Poch would make a good fitness coach. As for the rest....he's just shooting us in the foot.

For me I'm not turning anti Lev because of transfer windows. I think his choice of managers had been poor and that is why he should be fired.

If this season we underperform, it's not player influx It's cheaping out on managers.

Instead of having the six points we deserve, we have one - at least the inevitable spursy business is crossed out (twice). It would've happened at some point, regardless, and I'll take today over botching a guaranteed Champions League spot in the last match any day.

We were awesome until we weren't, just like against United, and the foundation being built is something to rely on. It's too early in the season - or Pochettino's reign - to flip about anything.

Plus: Charlie Adam didn't break anyone's leg.

Instead of having the six points we deserve, we have one - at least the inevitable spursy business is crossed out (twice). It would've happened at some point, regardless, and I'll take today over botching a guaranteed Champions League spot in the last match any day.

We were awesome until we weren't, just like against United, and the foundation being built is something to rely on. It's too early in the season - or Pochettino's reign - to flip about anything.

Plus: Charlie Adam didn't break anyone's leg.

I agree we have a good team in here. But why put Lamela in front of a player on a yellow card?

That was mismanagement.

Maybe we don't all take it as seriously as you do mate?

Spurs are important to me, I watch every game I can, go when I can and am elated when we win and disappointed when we drop points, but I have a life, I've got a kid and a wife and a house and a job, and at the end of the day (gonna sound like my Mrs now) it's only football, and only the second game of a long long season at that.

I take it seriously for what it is. I dont smack my bird around or smash up a shop cos we lost either.

But you´re in or you´re out as far as Im concerned. I dont invest emotionally when it suits me, laud all the triumph but when its shit Im like "aahhh whatever".

It hurts, Im angry and Im in it for life....despite the fact I also have a job. Weird point to make.

You might be able to switch off, then go right ahead and enjoy the season, even if we end up treading water again.

I´ll be fuming if we continue to do the same old shit, and I´ll be moved to tears if we finally get it right and achieve.

You can continue to be like "Meh...I got work on Monday" all you like. I really dont care.

he worked his ass off today, was injured for a while and didn't get back to full training until after everyone did, and Bentaleb SHOULD have offered us a more defensive presence to see the game off.

He said Mason needs to work on his fitness. He injured himself blocking a shot on goal. He was late from preseason but had a ice pack on the foot when he was subbed.

No, my position is that I actually back the manager. I don't think that I could do a better job, and dont think many out there could. I dont pretend to back the manager while actually really wishing we still had Sherwood in charge - your real position.

I get it, people make mistakes and you come on and say I told you so. Because everyone else thinks they are infallible. Muppet

No, it is you that is absolutely obsessed with coming on saying 'told you so, told you so" Especially after a disappointing defeat. Upset my arse, you are fucking delighted.

I agree, but you also agree that we needed a right back, a centre back. Signing 6 players for our standard is not so easy. That's where we differ, I look at reality, where you live in a fantasy land

Is it a fantasy land? As far as I can see it some of us were realistic about the state we were in before the season opener. It's a piss poor position to have left ourselves in, the one striker situation alone has already cost us today at least. CB at DM; already working with makeshift personnel.

The fact is those that thought we were fine as-is or, it's acceptable to wait 3-4 games into the season with so many critical gaps or, just plain happy clappers have proved to be wrong to date. Accusing people of being smug 'I told you so' is the best they can come up with to deflect from their naivety or just general apathy about an incompetent failure on the part of the club.

I'm praying for a win at Leicester as I bet Sammy is, not hoping we lose to be even more right about us leaving ourselves bang in trouble - the fact is we were too close to trouble of our own making before kick off last week no matter what had happened. If we'd been 'lucky' enough to do better it doesn't change the huge risks we've taken.

Unfortunately I actually think we might have only 4pts max by the end of the month, I don't want us to have that few but I fear we may.

Back
Top Bottom