Are Hooliganism and Atmosphere Linked?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not one remark or threat from any of the hundreds of Gooners that were near me. Should it be like that? Probably, but it would have been more fun if it wasn’t.
More fun? More fun if what? They beat you senseless and leave you in hospital for a couple weeks in critical condition?
No thanks. I like the walk back to Seven Sisters to be as safe as it can be.

If they'd only thought to use a lemon, it would've really stung the cuts!
Covered in salt as well?

Interesting read and I think he has a point.

Atmosphere was far better 10 years ago when WHL was an intimidating venue for away supporters. Now it is an utter stroll in the park for any set of away fans to come to.

Love you T
tumblr_inline_mtm8owKJOY1rhhhr1.gif

Look at those small northern teams like Crewe that have a decent youth mob but shit atmosphere at their ground.

It's a tricky issue of course re atmosphere. No easy answers, you want the buzz without the bust up. (well I do anyway :)

It all got too silly in the 70s and 80s, and I wouldn't want a return to those days. Though some of the atmospheres were fantastic, and unforgettable.

A nice balance was the 60s. An example with Millwall is a case in point. In 67 we played them at home in a replay, 50,000 people under the lights, good/great atmosphere but nothing too intense, couldn't match some of the later atmospheres I experienced. Still, I was stood in the Park Lane with no fear before, during and after the game. I may have gone on my own, or with friends I can't remember. I'll just never forget Greavesie latching on to a back pass, keeper saves his shot, Gilly puts in the rebound, this is right in front of me, as I'm near to the net up the front. Sheer joy, and we went on to win the Cup that year.

Fast forward a few years, the Wall in Lge Cup. Far less people, about 30k I think. I'd migrated to the Shelf by then, but I couldn't have got to where I stood in 67 if I'd wanted to. Millwall turned up early, took the Park Lane, which had become our 'hooligan end'. 'Our firm' couldn't get it back. I don't remember what happened in the game, though I know we won again. But for Millwall, most of their fans probably counted it as a victory as they took the Park Lane. The pendulum had swung too far away from football. Attendances were suffering, and it was getting way too naughty for many/most fans, including me.

Last edited:
HOoliganism could never ever exist again, no fucker wan't to pay 80 quid just to have a fight, the reason people could fight was because of the terraces and the cheap ticketing and turnstiles, but no they're not directly interrelated, i think age has something to do with it, plus stewarding, young people could afford to go to games then, so the atmosphere was better, like when west ham came to WHL, alot of the fans there were in their 20's, the only way football will improve is lessened ticket prices and less stewarding

I don't think there is any link between hooliganism and atmosphere at all, it brought more tension to games thats for sure. In the 70's the game was jam packed with young people attending games, the very people who could generate a smashing atmosphere.
The numbers going to away games was nothing short of fantastic, but you had to be very careful and all stick together for safety's sake, we really don't need to go back to those days to get an atmosphere going.
Safe standing, afordable football and less stewarding would get the atmosphere rocking. FC united of Manchester don't seem to have trouble generating atmosphere, yet there is hardly a hint of hooliganism in the non league game.

Back
Top Bottom