Are Hooliganism and Atmosphere Linked?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember, it's easy to glamorize things from the past.

I get more of a buzz from going somewhere like Rome, Krakow, Besiktas, Ninian Park, Turf Moor etc, rather than Wigan or Blackburn away. In a way I like that, but let's not pretend that most of us actually would like to go back to the days where you could end up in hospital just because you were going to football.

In answer to the question; a heated atmosphere does raise the intensity without doubt, and there will always be that tinderbox feeling that it will only take one person to set the whole thing off.

That said, I don't think they are one and the same, otherwise you would get more fights kicking off in pubs during football but it doesn't happen.

I think we've all become a massive bunch of pussies, I need to rectify this by smashing the receptionists railings down his fucking gob.

But, in countries where hooliganism still exist, the atmosphere does seem to be something that many groups want to aspire to. Holmsdale Fanatics for example. Not saying HF, 1882, any other similar groups want a return to the 80s by any means, but there should be a happy balance which I think the author of the piece was getting at.

Back
Top Bottom