Easiest premier league start ever?? (For Tottenham)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After 8 games we would have played the bottom 4, an out of sorts Man Utd, a Brentford team who have won 1 in 7 to date, a Liverpool team who reduced themselves to 9 men at our place and a woolwich team at the emirates who should be title contenders. 2.5 “hard” games out of 8?

Given that last season people were saying how easy a start woolwich had and were lucky etc etc Well our start this season has been far easier.

Not buying this at all.....

Brentford
Man U
Arse
Liverpool
........Not one of those games did we go into expecting them to be easy; nor were they easy.

Sheff U were a fucking pain in the arse too.

Getting good results doesn't mean the games were easy.

After 8 games we would have played the bottom 4, an out of sorts Man Utd, a Brentford team who have won 1 in 7 to date, a Liverpool team who reduced themselves to 9 men at our place and a woolwich team at the emirates who should be title contenders. 2.5 “hard” games out of 8?

(I fully expect we will be unbeaten after the 8 games as luton are pretty poor.)

Given that last season people were saying how easy a start woolwich had and were lucky etc etc Well our start this season has been far easier.

Good for the team and fans anyway. Sure Ange is managing his own expectations.

Momentum can go a very long way in sport and we seem to have it right now anyway.

Can we beat the Conte start to least season which was our best PL start ever? 24+ points from 10 games would be the target.

:ange-pray:
I think you might voted for Christmas with this one !!
Don't worry, be HAPPY.

(I fully expect we will be unbeaten after the 8 games as luton are pretty poor.)

Momentum can go a very long way in sport and we seem to have it right now anyway.

Can we beat the Conte start to least season which was our best PL start ever? 24+ points from 10 games would be the target.

Is this some sort of attempted joke?

We haven’t even had the easiest start in the league this season, let alone ever. Check Chelsea’s fixtures so far. Or man city.

Use some actual data.

There was good play involved but there was also definitely luck. And that’s fine as all teams need and get luck.
Luck on the Diaz goal/non-goal. Completely agree.

Luck in the sendings off? No. Sometimes they wouldn't be given and sometimes they would. Overall, given the other fouls in the game, as far as one can tell from watching from afar, I wouldn't say Tottenham were lucky with sendings off. Liverpool were stupid to play that way.

As a counter to a the "lucky" narrative, presumably Biss was hurt by the Jones tackle right? It's pretty much a given that players play worse once they are hurt. So is that lucky us, or unlucky us?

It's amazing how good the last 15 or so games of 21-22 were, and the first 10 of 22-23. Just shows how badly Conte fucked things up in H2 22-23

Bunch of away games plus Arse, Liverpool and United (I guess United are a bit crap to be fair).

That’s not an easy start at all, could be worse but doesn’t strike me as an easy start.

The side is good and can beat anyone. It’s depth or lack of that could hurt us.

If you jinx us, I will wipe my ass with your face!

And I had a dodgy mexican last night.
nice GIF

The easiest start I can remember was 2002-03. I had a bet on us to be top after 5 games at about 12/1.

Everton (a) 2-2 draw
Villa (h) 1-0 win
Charlton (a) 1-0 win
Southampton (h) 2-1 win

Followed by...

Fulham (a)
We were pissing it 2-0 up , and then managed to fuck it up away to crappy Fulham (and they were crap then). Acimovic then had a header disallowed for offside while we were 2-0 up, and we crumbled spectacularly midway through the 2nd half to lose 3-2.

At least we beat the Spammers 3-2 in the very next game.

Is this some sort of attempted joke?

We haven’t even had the easiest start in the league this season, let alone ever. Check Chelsea’s fixtures so far. Or man city.

Use some actual data.
We had the 2nd easiest first 5 games and our next 6 are the 2nd easiest. We had Woolwich away and pool at home in the middle. Seems a lot of teams have a difficult run of consecutive games this season. Chelsea, City and Arse do now, Newcastle already had it and us and Utd have it coming later.

You seem to have totally forgotten some important factors: f.ex., that Spurs came into this season after a very demoralizing end of last season, losing one of Spurs best ever players, Harry Kane - without getting a "direct replacement" - being without a DoF and a having new head-coach (who's new to Spurs, new to the EPL and new to European top football) after all the top 5+ choices turned Spurs down, and the team adapting to a totally new system with 4 new starters and a totally new back-4 (Romero & Porro are not new to Spurs but they've hardly played together).
And you call this an easy start of the season... 🤔
Some fans were even talking about possible relegation battle this season.
PS! There really are no easy games in the EPL; just ask Man City - they struggled to beat Sheff Utd and lost to Wolves.

We have had a bit of luck. So playing against 9 men is a break, we were lucky Liverpool lacked discipline and gave us that opportunity (how many times do we play against 9 men?!). Utd are definitely out of sorts, good time to play them.

Woolwich away though, one of the toughest fixtures in the league. We were well worth the point and played well.

Sheff Utd made life very hard for Man City and they did for us, but we dominated the game and deserved the win, even if it was late. Burnley and Bournemouth we cruised past and it's not easy to cruise to victory in this league against anybody.

I dunno if it's our easiest ever start, but it's certainly easy to slip up. We haven't slipped up and mostly played pretty well. Beat Luton and we go top, with the only points dropped against Brentford away (who have a very strong home record) and Woolwich away (enough said). Potentially unbeaten and top by the 2nd international break is no easy achievement.

Beat Luton and we go top, with the only points dropped against Brentford away (who have a very strong home record) and Woolwich away (enough said). Potentially unbeaten and top by the 2nd international break is no easy achievement.

So here's a quandry for ya'll re: this weekend's games.........

MC / Arse - Draw
B&HA / Dippers - Draw

or

MC win
Brighton win

?????

We've played three of the so called "big six" and come through unbeaten.

Not an easy start, although to be fair we've also had two of the probable relegation candidates too so it's evened out.

Easy start?

Ok let us analyse:

Brentford away - a team we have NEVER beaten away since they were promoted, and who’s home record has been very impressive generally. A 2-2 draw there is a decent result.

Manchester United at home - A fixture that has caused us all sorts of problems over the years, regardless of how good or poor United or ourselves have been at the time of any given game. A mentality issue, as much as anything. Ange’s second game and we come away with a 2-0 win. Great result.

Bournemouth away - A game I would expect us to win most of the time but nevertheless a place where good teams can go to die, as has been proven many times over the years. A nice 2-0 win, they had a wee spell in the game but never really in doubt.

Burnley away - Always a tricky game and a place we’ve invariably struggled over the years. A place where teams like Spurs should go and win but not always the case. A very comfortable 5-2 win, great result.

Sheffield United at home - maybe the only absolute gimme game we’ve had this year but as is very often the case it didn’t pan out like many would have expected. In the end though, a 2-1 win. Anything less would have been a massive disappointment.

Woolwich away - a place we normally can’t buy a result. We went there, and arguably might have deserved to win the game. A 2-2 draw was maybe just about right, but if anyone deserved the full three it was probably us.

Liverpool at home - Much like Manchester United, a fixture that we always struggle in. Rarely get a slice of luck either. The in game circumstances were out of the ordinary but I feel we deserved the points in the end. I’m convinced that we would have failed to take advantage over the last few years.

Taking recent history into account there would be no real surprise if we were were perhaps sitting on maybe 9 or 10 points just now.

To me, that doesn’t constitute an easy start.

Maybe because expectations were low at the start people can't quite believe how its gone and are looking for reasons to explain it . The cards have fallen reasonably good so far but alot of that is down to us doing the buiness .Think Luton will give us another clue to where we are if we can put them away early and control the game we will take more confidence to the next game and so on .

Luck on the Diaz goal/non-goal. Completely agree.

Luck in the sendings off? No. Sometimes they wouldn't be given and sometimes they would. Overall, given the other fouls in the game, as far as one can tell from watching from afar, I wouldn't say Tottenham were lucky with sendings off. Liverpool were stupid to play that way.

As a counter to a the "lucky" narrative, presumably Biss was hurt by the Jones tackle right? It's pretty much a given that players play worse once they are hurt. So is that lucky us, or unlucky us?

The initial red is unlucky for Jones - he goes to make a legal tackle and it ends up dangerous. We're lucky that a) there is no injury and b) its a free ticket to playing 10 men early when they were well on top 11vs11.

We're then very lucky a team goes to 9 after their first yellow was mistakenly given.

Bissouma wasn't particularly hurt. Didn't seem impacted. We've had bad luck in these fixtures in the past so I have no issue with being happy with getting some good luck this time.

Back
Top Bottom