Pre-Season 23/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Today's game was enjoyable but I'm as nervous as hell about our defence. All well and good playing crouching tiger hidden sailors and #wetspamdontpress (a game we still lost) but we need a proper challenge and some new bloody CBs.

No Djed Spence, Joe Rodon or Tanguy Ndombele again amongst 13 subs named, others such as Scarlett and Whiteman known to be injured, Keeley u21 GK also not included. Sanchez probably not included due to transfer situation.

Match finishes 5-1 but :
First half - Kane penalty and concede one but about 25 shots on goals
Second Half - Richarlison hattrick (and 2 disallowed for offside) and Lo Celso scored and 2nd half with almost 20 shots on goal.

So our 'B' side is better than 'A' side - same as v Wham and an internal match. Something for Ange to analyse.

Positives include :
- Richarlison remembering how to score
- Perisic, Lo Celso and Sarr staking claims to stay, the first two surprise me, but its Perisic as a winger not wing back. Lo Celso ..... , maybe no Argentina matches coming up so puts in the effort ?
- I'm still not convinced we can play both Porro and Udogie as full backs as neither convincing as defenders : IMO might be we play with Udogie and Royal, playing the more defensive RB ? So we have possible solutions in the existing squad. But probably need more defensive coaching, whilst creatively/attacking wise we look fine.
But pre-season has not been testing for the players !

The "B" side moves the ball so much quicker than the "A" team. 1st half team slowed things down too much. Mostly Sonny off the wing. In the 2nd half the combination play was much better which created more space and opportunities

--------------------vicario--------------------
royal-----romero-----whoever-----udogie
---------sarr---------------bissouma
---solomon-----madders------perisic
------------------richarlison------------------

going off what we seen so far i would say this is the team that would deserve to start. hard to not include gio but madders has looked slick...hes had an uninterested wannabe KDB up top though.

would love to see what gil could do in this new system and a proper midfield supporting him.

Woolwich beat Barcelona 5-3 in the night - that fixture will certainly be interesting.

Win and Ange has won two trophies before the season has started. Treble is on.

Woolwich beat Barcelona 5-3 in the night - that fixture will certainly be interesting.

Win and Ange has won two trophies before the season has started. Treble is on.
We seem to be getting to finals with no problem at all , I don’t even remember the previous games

😃

The "B" side moves the ball so much quicker than the "A" team. 1st half team slowed things down too much. Mostly Sonny off the wing. In the 2nd half the combination play was much better which created more space and opportunities
Most of the B side have had a few more weeks to work with Ange before the tour. So I guess it shouldn't be that big a shock that they are more used to his style. But the A side need to step their game up and catch up.

Even though it's hard to say here we stand overall a few weeks before kicking off, it's easy to find positives and get hope for the things to come.

The main thing for me is that our players seems to be enjoying football again, and that we can see a new and better direction footballing wise. And - to be honest - I love that we see signs of comeback and real quality within the players we already have.
What could be more satisfying than if Richy, Lo Celso, Sarr and more, were vital parts of a new, sparkling Tottenham?

Bring on the new season, can't wait

There's the Richarlison goal where a Lion City defender tries to head back to his keeper and Richarlison pounces on it, and I remember thinking, "well it works against defenders from Singapore, but that would never happen in the Premier League", but then I remembered Dier did it twice against Salah.

In our two pre-season matches so far, the 'B' team seemed to be better than the 'A' team.

For example Solomon better than both Kulusevski and Son, and played well on either wing. Lo Celso (and I've been a critic of his since he joined the club) has been better than Maddison. Perersic also been better than Son, now that he's not having to run back and defend after making forward play. Richarlison been better than Kane in both matches, it seems that Kane isn't that interested and I don't know why we're bothering to play him if he's about to leave the club.

Most of the B side have had a few more weeks to work with Ange before the tour. So I guess it shouldn't be that big a shock that they are more used to his style. But the A side need to step their game up and catch up.

Not sure how true that is.

Richy, Perisic, Lo Celso, Solomon, PEH, Skipp all arrived with the internationals. They Are playing like a team with quick one touch pass and moving.

Son, Kane, Kulu are all playing like individuals. Stuck in the Conte way of things slowing it down trying to do too much on their own or 1v1.

FWIW i thought Kane did a better job of playing on the CBs but Son/Kulu are cutting inside rather than keeping the width and whipping in crosses

In our two pre-season matches so far, the 'B' team seemed to be better than the 'A' team.

For example Solomon better than both Kulusevski and Son, and played well on either wing. Lo Celso (and I've been a critic of his since he joined the club) has been better than Maddison. Perersic also been better than Son, now that he's not having to run back and defend after making forward play. Richarlison been better than Kane in both matches, it seems that Kane isn't that interested and I don't know why we're bothering to play him if he's about to leave the club.
I mostly agree, but I don't think Kane isn't interested, he just doesn't have the workrate and mobility of Richarlison.

I mostly agree, but I don't think Kane isn't interested, he just doesn't have the workrate and mobility of Richarlison.
The last two pre-season matches are the only games I would say that Richarlison has played better than Kane, since we signed him from Everton.

So, only White and Devine featured in the Spurs XI friendly today. (65 mins each.)
Maybe a behind closed doors friendly will be arranged before the next game on Sunday 6th?

I know he supposedly picked up a slight injury but it seems odd we haven’t see hardly anything of Ndombele at this point. Maybe it’s just unfortunate and bad timing but can’t help but wonder if he’s on the outs even with Ange now.

I know he supposedly picked up a slight injury but it seems odd we haven’t see hardly anything of Ndombele at this point. Maybe it’s just unfortunate and bad timing but can’t help but wonder if he’s on the outs even with Ange now.
Yh there was a bit of talk about him being back in the fold but he's just unreliable.

Lo Celso is unreliable too but atleast he been amongst the pre season games wether its bad timing or what always seems to be a problem with one of them.

Bentancur will walk straight back in this team even if both are fit

There's the Richarlison goal where a Lion City defender tries to head back to his keeper and Richarlison pounces on it, and I remember thinking, "well it works against defenders from Singapore, but that would never happen in the Premier League", but then I remembered Dier did it twice against Salah.
Yeah Dier who is likely starting our first league game....I've stopped laughing

Back
Top Bottom