Pre-Season 23/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where did you hear that?

I’m pretty certain that is bollocks. Pattern of play sessions are standard for any coach. Especially one like conte who relies on them in games.

We never saw any of these types of drills ever in any of the training sessions clips under Conte ever... they players and club mouth piece gold mentioned many a time the main focus was positional play, keeping shape and lots of fitness. Yes an element of hyperbole in my statement, but we never saw attacking training drills ever, yes they practiced shooting we saw in clips but its not the same and end of the day. It was evident whatever they might of done was not enough, our attacks were not cohesive as a team or slick like there was a real understanding and thats down to that lack of emphasis from the previous coaching staff.

We never saw any of these types of drills ever in any of the training sessions clips under Conte ever... they players and club mouth piece gold mentioned many a time the main focus was positional play, keeping shape and lots of fitness. Yes an element of hyperbole in my statement, but we never saw attacking training drills ever, yes they practiced shooting we saw in clips but its not the same and end of the day. It was evident whatever they might of done was not enough, our attacks were not cohesive as a team or slick like there was a real understanding and thats down to that lack of emphasis from the previous coaching staff.

My understanding of conte has always been he’s almost robotic in how he wants his players to be. So maybe he just didn’t want any videos out there showing his patterns of play.

Can’t believe they never trained them tbh.

Just confirming that a Spurs XI will play Stevenage on Saturday 29 July 15:00

originally billed as a Spurs u21 team.

but the the first Spurs u21 match of preseason v Cambridge United became a mixed Spurs first team and u21 match, and given cancellation of the Leicester match on tour I suspect this one will become a first team match as well

Really good finishes from Sarr at 10:45 and 13:00, MUCH better than his long shots. If he can replicate this in matches he could actually be the 8 we need.

originally billed as a Spurs u21 team.

but the the first Spurs u21 match of preseason v Cambridge United became a mixed Spurs first team and u21 match, and given cancellation of the Leicester match on tour I suspect this one will become a first team match as well
£15 in away end. Plenty of tickets left.

No Djed Spence, Joe Rodon or Tanguy Ndombele again amongst 13 subs named, others such as Scarlett and Whiteman known to be injured, Keeley u21 GK also not included. Sanchez probably not included due to transfer situation.

Match finishes 5-1 but :
First half - Kane penalty and concede one but about 25 shots on goals
Second Half - Richarlison hattrick (and 2 disallowed for offside) and Lo Celso scored and 2nd half with almost 20 shots on goal.

So our 'B' side is better than 'A' side - same as v Wham and an internal match. Something for Ange to analyse.

Positives include :
- Richarlison remembering how to score
- Perisic, Lo Celso and Sarr staking claims to stay, the first two surprise me, but its Perisic as a winger not wing back. Lo Celso ..... , maybe no Argentina matches coming up so puts in the effort ?
- I'm still not convinced we can play both Porro and Udogie as full backs as neither convincing as defenders : IMO might be we play with Udogie and Royal, playing the more defensive RB ? So we have possible solutions in the existing squad. But probably need more defensive coaching, whilst creatively/attacking wise we look fine.
But pre-season has not been testing for the players !

No Djed Spence, Joe Rodon or Tanguy Ndombele again amongst 13 subs named, others such as Scarlett and Whiteman known to be injured, Keeley u21 GK also not included. Sanchez probably not included due to transfer situation.

Match finishes 5-1 but :
First half - Kane penalty and concede one but about 25 shots on goals
Second Half - Richarlison hattrick (and 2 disallowed for offside) and Lo Celso scored and 2nd half with almost 20 shots on goal.

So our 'B' side is better than 'A' side - same as v Wham and an internal match. Something for Ange to analyse.

Positives include :
- Richarlison remembering how to score
- Perisic, Lo Celso and Sarr staking claims to stay, the first two surprise me, but its Perisic as a winger not wing back. Lo Celso ..... , maybe no Argentina matches coming up so puts in the effort ?
- I'm still not convinced we can play both Porro and Udogie as full backs as neither convincing as defenders : IMO might be we play with Udogie and Royal, playing the more defensive RB ? So we have possible solutions in the existing squad. But probably need more defensive coaching, whilst creatively/attacking wise we look fine.
But pre-season has not been testing for the players !

This has been a shambles by any measure.
We don't have the squad that we want yet so much of this is pointless. ANGE may have seen something in players that have been sidelined by other managers but this is the WORST pre season that I can remember.

This has been a shambles by any measure.
We don't have the squad that we want yet so much of this is pointless. ANGE may have seen something in players that have been sidelined by other managers but this is the WORST pre season that I can remember.

Its been a weak pre-season so far - but nobody at Spurs to blame for Roma pulling out.

Forwards/midfield have looked a lot better than I expected, after 2 defensive managers (Conte and Mourhino) - Ange seems to have got them working together a lot better then expected. And Lo Celso has surprised me the most.

Defensively, even one decent CB coming in to replace Davies would make Spurs more solid - two CB's in (to replace Lenglet and Sanchez from last season) would give us decent cover. I've made my comments on wing backs in former post - and we can probably live with the squad we've got.

So our squad is we are way better than your post suggests, but I'd like to see the results in last 2 preseason matches against stronger opposition

Back
Top Bottom