Return of the Poch

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

would you welcome poch back

• yes

Votes: 189 72.1%
  • no

Votes: 73 27.9%

• Total voters
Hearing rumours Poch has been spotted driving into spurs lodge with Messi in the passenger

Exciting times if true
In the baby-seat?

dumb and dumber click the image for a smaller version GIF

Please tell me we're discussing his contract as we speak. We need Poch to be back before the end of tomorrow.

The expectations on him are going to be through the roof, people are going to expect us to get back to the 2016/17 level, I think it's going to be more difficult for him this time around as the league has improved now and last time he needed a season for his style to really bed in, the problem is that we have a team who haven't been playing with any sort of press and intensity.

He will be starting off with a better squad at least though and I guess he and the board will no what to expect off each other so the issues with transfers and backing won't be huge.
Baby-steps would be an improvement on this shit, i would be fine with that.

Plenty singing his name in the south stand and outside the ground.

If nothing else, he'll get us smiling again. Just imagine we sign him tomorrow and smash Forest 5-0. He's magic, you know.

A rancid mess in the top 4 (for now) and the Champs Leg (for now)??

If your expectation is to win the prem and CL, then maybe the squad is a rancid mess but if we accept that Top 4 and a cup run is probably the ceiling for a club like Spurs, it's clear this squad is capable of that and has already achieved them.

This squad without Kane is a completely different question.

Nice try but way too soon.

I was also on the fence, but to the quality players list I have to add Bentancur. I don't think he is that extremely brilliant as some suggest here. And not on Kane level. But if he recovers fully, there is potential.

So to revise my initial list -
young guns with lot of promise - Gil, Sarr, Spence, Udogie, Skippy, Kulusevski (+with some reservation White who seemed like a proper baller!)
proven quality - Kane, Romero, Bentancur
Players that can be used so much more efficiently - Bissouma, Richie, Son (based on this season and current form ofc)
Squad players who have smaller or bigger role going forward - Hjojberg, Davies
Questionmarks - Royal (consistency; though should be better in back 4), Perisic (age and pace; though adds lot of experience), Porro (getting up to speed to the league; depending on our formation).

So I got to 18 players.

That is quite a foundation already.
And it leaves out long list out of whom some might surprise us (and not all of them can be moved on at once) - Lloris, Forster, Dier, Sanchez, Sessegnon, Tanganga, Regulion, Winks, LoCelso, Ndombele, Rodon (10 players in total). Or we could get some money to fund new transfers.

I forgot first pick GK to list as well.
So when we'd have -

GK: new GK + Forster
CB: Romero, Davies, New CB1, New CB2 and most likely Dier (hopefully last resort option)
FB: Royal, Udogie, Spence, Porro, Perisic
CM: Bentancur, PEH, Sarr, Skipp, Bissouma, White
AM: Gil, Kulusevski, new AM
ST/RW/LW: Kane, Son, Richie, most likely another option from list of Danjuma, Parrott, Scarlett

EXACTLY 25 players btw!

So it would mean just 4 players (that have to be ALL top quality; so we are talking 200 mil outlay) - it does not seem unrealistic at all actually. Young and raw team, but loads of potential.
Think you can add Devine to the young guns section.

Don´t think it´s impossible to clear out the dross, if there´s a will there´s a way

Agree with everything you say there, but this bit gave me a wry smile:

And it leaves out long list out of whom some might surprise us (and not all of them can be moved on at once) - Lloris, Forster, Dier, Sanchez, Sessegnon, Tanganga, Regulion, Winks, LoCelso, Ndombele, Rodon (10 players in total).

It really would be quite a surprise miracle if any of those turned out to be a long-term-future big success for us! :)

But as I say, absolutely agree with your thrust - the more I think about it, the more I think our existing squad actually seems nicely set-up for a Poch improvement project. (Not by any clever long-term planning admittedly, but hey ho, our lack of consistent direction manager-wise is another matter...).

This is a top 4 quality— no, title contender potential team, just waiting for Poch to unlock their enormous potential. Dier, Winks, incredible potential there. Let’s bring back Alli, he has potential and just needs that spark back. Richarlison... who cares if he hasn’t scored a league goal, amazing player, we must build around him. Udogie... who cares if he never played in Premier League, must have amazing potential.

All waiting on Poch to show up, apply that tremendous 4-2-3-1 high intensity, high pressing formation and we’re set man. We have amazing team, amazing players with great potential.
:pochshock: :dembelefingers:

Who on this forum rates Dier, Winks, Alli, Rodon, Tanganga, Sanchez, Sess, Lenglet, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon??? I can tell you: NONE, ZERO, ZILCH!! So what makes you think Poch rates them?

Why is it so important for you 23% no-sayers that Poch doesn´t get the gig???

Last edited:
This is a top 4 quality— no, title contender potential team, just waiting for Poch to unlock their enormous potential. Dier, Winks, incredible potential there. Let’s bring back Alli, he has potential and just needs that spark back. Richarlison... who cares if he hasn’t scored a league goal, amazing player, we must build around him. Udogie... who cares if he never played in Premier League, must have amazing potential.

All waiting on Poch to show up, apply that tremendous 4-2-3-1 high intensity, high pressing formation and we’re set man. We have amazing team, amazing players with great potential.
We're not winning with Conte, we're not going to win with Poch, hell, even if Fergie comes back with Guardiola and Klopp as his assistants we'll still never win.

But that's not the point. Since we can't win, at least let's try to be entertaining. We have a decent young core (Romero, Porro, Emerson, Udogie, Skipp, Sarr, Bentancur, Bissouma, Kulusevski). Not title-winning, far from it, but a very energetic side can be built from that.

WOW! Just heard ThisisTottenhamTV reaction from the stadium and could barely hear what they were saying because of the loud Pochettino chants - seems clear what the fans in the stadium want.

:pochshock: :dembelefingers:

Who on this forum rates Dier, Winks, Alli, Rodon, Tanganga, Sanchez, Sess, Lenglet, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon??? I can tell you: NONE, ZERO, ZILCH!! So what makes you think Poch rates them?

Why is it so important for you 23% no-sayers that Poch doesn´t get the gig???

I can see a spot for Sessegnon. He just seems the sort of player who could thrive under Pochettino.

I'd bring back Gil too, for the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom