Levy / €NIC. In or Out

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy / ENIC. In or Out

• Levy / ENIC. We want you to stay

• Levy / ENIC. Get out of our club

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep, alot of our fans however would like to see us still with facilities and an infrastructure like you'd have in the 90s.

We're one of the most modern football clubs in the world which is clearly trying to improve it self.
Admittedly, I very much miss the atmosphere of the old ground. Don’t miss anything else about it though.

And the new one will make us much stronger over time. Had to happen.

Good debate. Sugar v ENIC who is worse…always Sugar for me. And I can’t stand Levy. But to me, Sugar just had no clue what was happening on the pitch, while being a cheap and objectionable arse hole off it.

Few things I remember. When Sugar joined the bank debt was not the threat he said it was ( and would hide behind for years ) The sale of Gazza had settled the “threat” to the club. Re Gazza’s situation and as best I recall, that his advisers Stein and Lazarus had him for sale to European clubs for months while Venables was doing everything he could to keep Gazza. He begged them to let Gazza stay and he would build the team around him. They all told Venables to jog on. That’s the loyalty of Gazza’s camp. That’s football.

Venables put so much into trying to get the club off Scholar, especially so when Maxwell was hoovering too ( he’d given a massive loan on the quiet to Scholar ).

If I recall correctly, Philip Green offered £1m to Scholar to jog on, and take over with Venables and Morris Keston added into the mix as Chairman. But greed got the better of Scholar and the deal never happened. Gazza was formally sold thereafter.

Post cup final Sugar ( for reasons best known to him ) got involved in the club. He was well within the top 50 richest people in the U.K. in those days. He buys in and keeps his hands well away from his personal cheque book for the next 10 years, no different to some other owners I could name.

His investment was under £4m at the time, he walked out with a lot more than that !

And along the way, he oversaw…Venables antics but rather than deal with them forced the guy out, then remarkably recruited Ossie who himself would end up on Panorama due to his “creative” accounting ! but it’s the remarkable tactics on the field we all remember.

Sugar also oversaw Gerry Fucking Francis, the bloke with the tube ticket, the man in the Trenchcoat ( whisper this I liked GG) Sol Cumball’s antics, the washing his motor with Kilnsman’s shirt on BBC less than two years later begging Klinsman back! selling Teddy for £3m to pay £6m for Les, refusing to sign foreign talent and buying foreign duds from Wimbledon. And on this last point, As Sir Jimmy said, “Sugar has turned Tottenham into Wimbledon with fans”.

ENIC are a shady bunch, and there is not much between them and Mr “you’re fired”… but in terms of impact on status, they have put Tottenham back into the Top bracket. Sugar did the opposite. Hate the geezer.
very well put and all true. we were as poorly run as everton are now towards the end of Sugar's time

Admittedly, I very much miss the atmosphere of the old ground. Don’t miss anything else about it though.

And the new one will make us much stronger over time. Had to happen.
Yep 100% agree with that about the atmosphere of the old ground, but times change and things move on.

There's no way we could compete at a relatively high level long term if we were still at WHL.

Eventually clubs like Man Utd, City etc would have come after Kane and Son and we would have had no choice but to sell them.

Yep 100% agree with that about the atmosphere of the old ground, but times change and things move on.

There's no way we could compete at a relatively high level long term if we were still at WHL.

Eventually clubs like Man Utd, City etc would have come after Kane and Son and we would have had no choice but to sell them.

Hold on wait, didn't hear over and over again that we cannot expect "to compete against top clubs" anyway and that is a defence of ENICs failure to deliver what they claim we want?

So which one is it?

Are we now competitive or are we not?

Hold on wait, didn't hear over and over again that we cannot expect "to compete against top clubs" anyway and that is a defence of ENICs failure to deliver what they claim we want?

So which one is it?

We have the platform to be competitive since we moved in to the stadium and started to bring in revenue from it - we are not currently competitive (in terms of challenging for the title) because the squad fell to pieces during the build and we're rebuilding.

Nothing that hasn't been said a million times before, not sure why you're needing to ask for clarification tbh

... never mind the excuse, that 20 years of yoyo was justified in making os "competitive", when in fact there are no genuine proof that ENIC intents on even attempting making us just that. Competitive.
Agreed. They either really want to win stuff but are awful at it. Or they have no real desire & determination to win things. I think it’s the later. But either way it’s why they need to go.

Agreed. They either really want to win stuff but are awful at it. Or they have no real desire & determination to win things. I think it’s the later. But either way it’s why they need to go.
I think their blatant lack of intent when we've been so close definitely points to the latter.

Saha / Nelson?. One and a half year self imposed transfer embargo? Lower net spend than the likes of Burnley during Pochetinno's tenure

In fact, it's not really even a question since Levy himself admitted they only got involved to exploit football's popularity for financial gain.

Now. When it comes to real estate and increasing their property portfolio off the back of our football club. They're real winners🏆.
Golf courses, apartment blocks and new cinemas don't really get my juices flowing the same way as a major trophy or two, unfortunately 🤷‍♂️

I think their blatant lack of intent when we've been so close definitely points to the latter.

Saha / Nelson?. One and a half year self imposed transfer embargo? Lower net spend than the likes of Burnley during Pochetinno's tenure

In fact, it's not really even a question since Levy himself admitted they only got involved to exploit football's popularity for financial gain.

Now. When it comes to real estate and increasing their property portfolio off the back of our football club. They're real winners🏆.
Golf courses, apartment blocks and new cinemas don't really get my juices flowing the same way as a major trophy or two, unfortunately 🤷‍♂️
New Orleans Food GIF by PBS Digital Studios

Juices flowing...

So which one is it?

The point I was making was the stadium and infrastructure has given us a massive platform to be able to continue to compete near the top. It's a massive benefit in the long term rather than the short term which if we were still at the old ground the finances wouldn't have been there.

Once we have a few years of the stadium I think we'll see great benefits from it.

Yeah I think so too. It’s short sighted because with just a bit more investment of a couple of quality needed players it could have got us over the line for a title. Then imagine how many more decades that would have bought enic.
It’s sort of like the closer we get, levy sees this as reason why we don’t need more good players because we are good.

The point I was making was the stadium and infrastructure has given us a massive platform to be able to continue to compete near the top. It's a massive benefit in the long term rather than the short term which if we were still at the old ground the finances wouldn't have been there.

Once we have a few years of the stadium I think we'll see great benefits from it.

So in other words it does nothing, absolutely nothing for our footballing ability to

- compete in the actual top (as ENIC said was the ambition)
- now

Thanks. Glad we cleared that up.

Now, appearently, we just have to wait

- another few years before ENIC can be judged.

Good lord, this is going in circles over and over and over and over again, isn't it?

We have the platform to be competitive since we moved in to the stadium and started to bring in revenue from it - we are not currently competitive (in terms of challenging for the title) because the squad fell to pieces during the build and we're rebuilding.

Nothing that hasn't been said a million times before, not sure why you're needing to ask for clarification tbh

Because you and Top Spurs are telling us the direct opposite things.

You are saying we have the platform to be competitive. He is telling us that we can't do it against the top and that we won't for years.

So which one is it? Could you possibly coordinate your excuses before you get back to us?

So in other words it does nothing, absolutely nothing for our footballing ability to

- compete in the actual top (as ENIC said was the ambition)
- now

Thanks. Glad we cleared that up.

Now, appearently, we just have to wait

- another few years before ENIC can be judged.

Good lord, this is going in circles over and over and over and over again, isn't it?
You bought it up?

So you're the one going round in circles.

We finished 4th last season, if we were 17th or sitting in mid table I'd understand your point abit more.

How much more competitive do you want us to be without a state ownership?

Also, do you think the club would have been able to attract Antonio Conte to manage us if it wasn't for the infrastructure of the club? No chance. Thanks to ENIC and the progress off the pitch we have a manager like Antonio Conte.

Last edited:
You bought it up?

So you're the one going round in circles.

We finished 4th last season, if we were 17th or sitting in mid table I'd understand your point abit more.

How much more competitive do you want us to be without a state ownership?

Also, do you think the club would have been able to attract Antonio Conte to manage us if it wasn't for the infrastructure of the club? No chance. Thanks to ENIC and the progress off the pitch we have a manager like Antonio Conte.

You are asking the wrong question. How competetive have ENIC told us for 20+ they want us to be?

It's staggering how we are going round in circles, only for the corporate fanclub to avoid judging ENIC by ENICs own yardstick.

7th the season before and 6th the season before that and looking far more likely to have another season in that range than we are to finish top 4 this season.
Last season was the only change in a steady downward trajectory. From 16/17 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th. I'd love to say we'll finish 4th again this season but our football is poor and another window has pretty much come and gone without much improvement. More likely 5th/6th. Its then difficult to see how we get back in with Newcastle, Woolwich, Man Utd improving, Chelsea spending like they are and Liverpool wont be bad for long.

We've been quite relient on other clubs failings in getting respectable finishes of late, i mean Solskjaer as manager for 3 years, Arteta learning the ropes but our competitors have sorted themselves out by and large. We need to start to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom