Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Step 1. The two lines still go exactly where the VAR thinks they should go, he/she gets a nice razor thin line to work with like now.

Step 2. the line is then automatically made wider to recognise that the VAR's placement cannot be perfect, given uncertainty in when the ball is "played" and the fact the ball moves between frames.

I don't know what the width should be, it will be something like 5cm of pitch. There is surely a scientific approach that accounts for the margin of uncertainty in the measurement.

Step 3. If the two lines still don't overlap then it's offside.

It would result in fewer microscopic offsides (where the attacker really isn't getting a true "benefit") but still catch all obvious offsides.

Problem solved, thank you very much.
Hmmm, actually I quite like it. I mean of course the arbitrary 1mm will still be making a difference, it will just be in a different place where Joe Public can't really see it, so we won't have the granular info available to have such outrage when decisions go against us. I do like it though - OffTheBench OffTheBench for next FA Chairman! :)

There where times yesterday - and Dier, Hojbjerg and Bentancur where the worst offenders - when what a 20m space would open up in front of them and they would just dawdle…..panic and sideways pass.

It’s probably the most basic rule of football, get the fucking ball up the pitch. The moment they started moving forwards, esp once Gil came on, Sporting would immediately on the back foot and struggling.

That was a game we could have won 4-1 but we conspired to draw. Still pissed off about it.

Enjoyed the ‘one of our own’ pints though, grown on me
I thought bentancur was the best player on the pitch by a country Mile

Last edited:
What are the odds that the 2 most influential and worst calls we’ve had in Europe in the VAR era were made by the exact same officials? (For those that don’t know, the VAR and center ref were both involved in the CL final vs Liverpool)

It can’t be probable.

? ???
I see skippy as a holding midfielder he not exactly an assist monster
He doesn't exactly provide assists - from his position you wouldn't expect it. But he can thread beautiful, incisive passes through from midfield and he's not averse to moving into high positions either. Altogether a far more attacking presence in midfield, while still being a solid tackler and a reliable defender. I think he's great!

I swung by too but wasn’t sure what/who I was looking for. Think we need some kind of secret salute…

:mourfinger:

Maybe some sort of trendy / stand out hat would work better. We’d all know each other then.

chicken-hat-602-p.jpg
goorin-bros-rooster-cock-gallo-de-la-playa-the-farm-orange-blue-and-yellow-bucket-hat.jpg

That's why Skipp needs to be given more game time. He knows what to do with the ball and has a natural attacking instinct.
I hope I'm not just jumping the gun but this kid may well be our best midfielder (by a small margin), unless Brighton Bissouma shows up. He's a lot like Kulu in that he seems to have game intelligence.

Best of the lot in terms of rescuing Dier/Davies, and while he doesn't have Benta's finesse in tight spaces, he seems the best of the lot at keeping the rythm and flow of the team going and making a well weighted forward pass.

he can thread beautiful, incisive passes through from midfield
He doesn't have a high volume of forward passes, and he can improve in that regard, but, I'd rather his type than PEH who constantly fails with those balls over the top, he's not Eriksen, he only gets assists with the few good final balls from an huge number of attempts.

But don't you think yesterday was a text book example of how offsides aren't always black and white? There's a lot of grey between the black and white.

The technology will no doubt get more complex in the hunt of "perfection". However I really don't think it would make football better.

With that tech route, you'd need dozens if not hundreds of 120fps video cameras along the touchline and overhead too. And you still wouldn't be able to always solve everything, such as when players are blocking views of balls and limbs, or the exact millisecond that the ball is played. Is it the final millisecond when the ball is touching the player? When the ball leaves? How to account for flex in the ball? What if Cucurella's afro means you can't tell? What if the white lines are 1cm out of line across the pitch?

All that complexity adds no enjoyment to the sport at all. Just make the VAR lines a bit wider.
but with the money involved they should have the technology to deal with it much better than they have. if they need 100 cameras get 100 cameras. tennis have hawkeye why hasnt football got something similar where it can get accuracy within mm?

i agree with what someone else said though, there should be a time limit on VAR until they have the technology required, if they dont get it within 30 seconds the on field decision stands as its not clear and obvious. in 2022 youd think the technology they would have for it would be faultless. its massive money involved so needs to be right.

with all the dodgy shit weve been robbed with over the years im all for technology involved. weve been done a few times. pedro mendes goal cost us europe that year i believe? we could potentially be in a much better position right now if that goal isnt taken away from us, who knows? and i think i read on here the other day the ref for the nani incident admitted he was intimidated by fergie so let the goal stand instead of listening to the linesman? VAR protects us against this shit.

its also given us justice against city in the champions league, without it we wouldnt of had that night in amsterdam, we would of been robbed of that.

Last edited:
I am still fuming. The scenes in the ground at the death was pure Bedlam. Then they called on a device that is dedicated to finding ways to disallow goals.
Kane was off because the defender did not intentionally play the ball. Fuck off. He was breaking his neck to block that pass, it's his job to get in the fucking way. Therefore he did mean to deflect it, he did his job.
I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of shit that any top European club in their own ground would have got that.
VAR is sucking the last vestiges of joy out of the game and won't be satisfied until people stop going to games.
Only the football authorities could take a good idea like VAR and find all kinds of ways to fuck it up.
I can take not turning up until half time, I can take the mind numbing dross we turn out and I can take fucking up group games we should have won, I can even take Referees that UEFA recruit from pitches on a Sunday morning. But what I can't take, what, in these miserable times, I can't fucking take, is technology that has mutated into a new enemy of football fans..
As if we don't have enough to piss us off, we have the best kind of knockout stage qualifying, fifth minute of injury time goal, that gives unbridled joy, snatched away from us by pedantic, faceless football Lilliputians who want to destroy the fun in the game.
Percy Dalton must be spinning in his fucking grave.

I am still fuming. The scenes in the ground at the death was pure Bedlam. Then they called on a device that is dedicated to finding ways to disallow goals.
Kane was off because the defender did not intentionally play the ball. Fuck off. He was breaking his neck to block that pass, it's his job to get in the fucking way. Therefore he did mean to deflect it, he did his job.
I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of shit that any top European club in their own ground would have got that.
VAR is sucking the last vestiges of joy out of the game and won't be satisfied until people stop going to games.
Only the football authorities could take a good idea like VAR and find all kinds of ways to fuck it up.
I can take not turning up until half time, I can take the mind numbing dross we turn out and I can take fucking up group games we should have won, I can even take Referees that UEFA recruit from pitches on a Sunday morning. But what I can't take, what, in these miserable times, I can't fucking take, is technology that has mutated into a new enemy of football fans..
As if we don't have enough to piss us off, we have the best kind of knockout stage qualifying, fifth minute of injury time goal, that gives unbridled joy, snatched away from us by pedantic, faceless football Lilliputians who want to destroy the fun in the game.
Percy Dalton must be spinning in his fucking grave.
100% spot on

That’s never, ever, ever, ever been a rule.

In England they must teach you guys some weird things. Almost every player I’ve played with knows that what matters is if the receiving player is behind/ahead of the ball when it’s played. Americans don’t do many things right in football but I guess at least teaching the rule is one of them.

I can see the confusion… it’s very unlikely a player is offsides on a ball played backwards, but the direction the ball is played has nothing to do with offsides.
1863 offside rule:

The first widely agreed offside law was cemented with the formation of the Football Association (FA) and the publication of its laws in 1863. The rule prohibited any attacking player from being in front of the ball when it was kicked forward.

Every kid learning football (in the UK) was taught you can't be offside from a throw, corner ( as the ball must travel sideways or backwards), in your own half or if the ball is played sideways or backwards.

As I said it shows how little we know (including me and Dier) of the modern offside rule following the changes of the last 20 years.

1863 offside rule:

The first widely agreed offside law was cemented with the formation of the Football Association (FA) and the publication of its laws in 1863. The rule prohibited any attacking player from being in front of the ball when it was kicked forward.

Every kid learning football (in the UK) was taught you can't be offside from a throw, corner ( as the ball must travel sideways or backwards), in your own half or if the ball is played sideways or backwards.

As I said it shows how little we know (including me and Dier) of the modern offside rule following the changes of the last 20 years.
True haha! My memory from 1863 is a bit rusty!

I’ve played for 27+ years and the offsides rule about being behind/ahead of the ball is the same as now. There’s slight changes over the years about what makes a player active or not but nothing ever related to a forwards/backwards pass in my lifetime.

True haha! My memory from 1863 is a bit rusty!

I’ve played for 27+ years and the offsides rule about being behind/ahead of the ball is the same as now. There’s slight changes over the years about what makes a player active or not but nothing ever related to a forwards/backwards pass in my lifetime.
I'm not really debating the in front/ behind argument but whether you can be offside if the ball is played backwards or sideways as I believe Emerson's header to Kane was last night.

Clearly the modern law does not mention the ball being played forward.

The fact that Dier mentioned "the ball went backwards" also shows the confusion about the modern law even amongst pros.

I'm not really debating the in front/ behind argument but whether you can be offside if the ball is played backwards or sideways as I believe Emerson's header to Kane was last night.

Clearly the modern law does not mention the ball being played forward.

The fact that Dier mentioned "the ball went backwards" also shows the confusion about the modern law even amongst pros.
Agree, carragher didn’t know it either.

I just found it interesting as there’s never been this confusion in the states and we know fuck all about football.

Back
Top Bottom