Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great point well made, we’re trying to calculate Pythagorean theorems in the middle of a football match it is ridiculous
It also shows how little we know about the offside rule after all the tinkering over the last few years.

And there I thought (and so did Dier!) that you can't be offside if the ball isn't played forward...

What is needed is that law to be re-instated and then with ball tracking technology (like in cricket), the ball can be absolutely deemed to have gone sideways or backwards thus rendering any offside VAR decision redundant.

Even after all that rubbish last night, I still think Kane was on-side. If the decision was so tight then the advantage should go to the offensive team.

Waiting 4 minutes for some genius to draw lines is robbing the crowd of the moment.

Shameful.

What about the defender behind Kane in the frame though? From the complete garbage angle, where you can’t tell anything, is he keeping Kane’s knee onside? It’s fucking abhorrent. I’m not a conspiracy theory nut, but when I see a decision like that given by the same two officials who did us in 2019 it does make me wonder what’s going on.

And yes, the team played badly for a chunk of the game. That’s not great, and we should be wary of this. But they pulled it out in the end. Those types of things can change your season.
It's still BS when looking at the defender on Kane!

FgFRE6AaMAA0Yj4

ALSO!!!! There is no way to confirm the point it left Royal's head.

the header from royal is so bad you can argue its not even a pass to kane
It was actually a very good header. Both feet off the ground, to twist his body around, against the direction he was running, so that he could direct the ball backwards and not straight or forwards which would have resulted in an offside call that would not have had any doubt or controversy.

That's even more disgraceful.
its incredibly tight, from that angle it looks like half an inch due to the defenders foot being angled, but thats from that angle. be interesting to see it straight on and measure the toes distance from the 6 yard box.

can see why it took 4 minutes. the technology needs to be better, need better cameras and more of them in important positions so they can actually see from perfect angles

Listened to the gave live on BBC and then got to watch it today. On the BBC the crowd in the second half sounded loud and enthusiastic. On the TV replay the crowd didn't sound nearly as enthusiastic. For anyone who was there, what did it sound like in person? I'm assuming the way matches are produced for radio they crowd noise is mixed much higher.

its incredibly tight, from that angle it looks like half an inch due to the defenders foot being angled, but thats from that angle. be interesting to see it straight on and measure the toes distance from the 6 yard box.

can see why it took 4 minutes. the technology needs to be better, need better cameras and more of them in important positions so they can actually see from perfect angles
Rather than further the technology arms race, I'd prefer they accept a wider margin of error and err on the side of the attacker. If the attacker is less than e.g. 5cm offside then ignore. Use wider lines. If the red and blue overlap then no offside. The ball travels between video frames, meaning it's almost impossible to actually call if it's that narrow a margin.

Offsides are about stopping players from goal hanging to gain an advantage. Having your kneecap 1cm in front of the defender's toe is not an advantage, just ignore it.

Rather than further the technology arms race, I'd rather they just accept a wider margin of error and err on the side of the attacker. If the attacker is less than e.g. 5cm offside then ignore. Use wider lines. If the red and blue overlap then no offside.

Offsides are about stopping players from goal hanging to gain an advantage. Having your kneecap 0.5cm in front of the defenders toe is not an advantage, just ignore it.
yea but then theres always going to be that 1mm thats argued about. if hes offside hes offside.

weve been fucked over enough times by bent decisions. i want them to get it right no matter how tight it is.

end of the day we should of stomed this group, the teams are shit i dont care what anyone trys saying they are europa league standard teams and we have left it to needing a result in the final game. not fucking good enough

yea but then theres always going to be that 1mm thats argued about. if hes offside hes offside.

weve been fucked over enough times by bent decisions. i want them to get it right no matter how tight it is.
I don't. I only want it to be called offside if it's clearly an offside. If the attacker is gaining an advantage.
If it's a matter of millimetres it just doesn't matter and it ruins the game checking it for multiple minutes.

I don't. I only want it to be called offside if it's clearly an offside. If the attacker is gaining an advantage.
If it's a matter of millimetres it just doesn't matter and it ruins the game checking it for multiple minutes.
you say that now but if the shoe was on the other foot and that potentially puts us out of europe i want them getting it right. you want the game to be as honest as possible,i dont want winners coming from bent decisions, seen enough of that over the years and we have been the ones falling victim to it.

offsides are black and white its not like a foul where it can be subjective. they need better technology to help get thee decisions ironed out in under 10 seconds. 4 minutes is a joke

It also shows how little we know about the offside rule after all the tinkering over the last few years.

And there I thought (and so did Dier!) that you can't be offside if the ball isn't played forward...

What is needed is that law to be re-instated and then with ball tracking technology (like in cricket), the ball can be absolutely deemed to have gone sideways or backwards thus rendering any offside VAR decision redundant.

Even after all that rubbish last night, I still think Kane was on-side. If the decision was so tight then the advantage should go to the offensive team.

Waiting 4 minutes for some genius to draw lines is robbing the crowd of the moment.

Shameful.
This
100%

I fail to understand how throwing your body in front of a ball that’s being played past you with the intent to redirect the ball to another direction is not an attempt to play the ball. What can it be considered an attempt to do, other than change the direction of the ball’s travel? Is it now like billiards where if the ball hasn’t gone exactly where I predicted, it doesn’t count?

And even if that’s the rule, how can the call on the pitch have been judge clearly and obviously in error? Is it not at least questionable whether the defender intended to deflect the cross?

To not only claim it was unintentional when he moved his body with the express purpose and to say it’s so obvious that it must be reversed is bonkers

Besides that - if you can’t decide in 5 minutes, how clear and obvious can it have been??

I think it either needs to be like this, or it’s just the feet, and a foot has to be fully clear before the man is off. These decisions you need a micrometer to judge are killing the sport

Back
Top Bottom