Spurs vs Leicester City - Sat 17th Sept 2022 - 5:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But this law is like the 'offside' law. You're either breaking it or you're not. And Hugo clearly was.

...and the still they showed in the stadium proved to me that he was clearly off his line.
How the fuck has anyone disagreed with this?
They showed him a good yard off his line, both feet, at the moment the ball was struck.

There's no opinion on the matter. The rules state the keeper has to have at least 1 foot on the line until the ball is struck. Neither foot was anywhere near the line.
Quick, honest question, had Tielemans scored the first time, (with Hugo so clearly on the 6 yard line when he took it!!) would the pen have still been retaken?

An offence is an offence, regardless of the outcome, no? Woulda been hilarious had he been made to retake it and THEN missed/saved!

Luckily, it was in the first 3minutes, and not the final 3 minutes with anything else riding on it...

But I thought there and then it was gonna be one of those crazy games (I actually said to my mate it's gonna be summit like 5-4) so I wasn't far off!

Quick question, had Tielemans scored the first time, (with Hugo so clearly on the 6 yard line when he took it!!) would the pen have still been retaken?

An offence is an offence, regardless of the outcome, no?
Nope! If you look at the rule, you'll see that the goal would have stood! lol

I’ve paused it right as the taker strikes the ball …. Loris’ trailing foot is at most a couple of inches off the line

That is an extremely ‘keen’ call

I really don't mind if they apply this "law" to ALL penalties now, to the smallest margin even. But, we all know how this goes. There will be an incident in the next week or so, where it is completely ignored. It is the inconsistency of how these things are applied that pisses people off.

Last edited:
Have to say I'd never heard of their keeper. Made a good save from sanchez but thought he was crap. Whole back line was shit as well. Evans is past it. If they go down we should pounce on a couple of their players. Maddison and inenacho.

Quick, honest question, had Tielemans scored the first time, (with Hugo so clearly on the 6 yard line when he took it!!) would the pen have still been retaken?

An offence is an offence, regardless of the outcome, no? Woulda been hilarious had he been made to retake it and THEN missed/saved!

Luckily, it was in the first 3minutes, and not the final 3 minutes with anything else riding on it...

But I thought there and then it was gonna be one of those crazy games (I actually said to my mate it's gonna be summit like 5-4) so I wasn't far off!
Well no, because if he scored the keeper hasn't gained an advantage

You could be right - I hadn't thought of that. I was in the upper shelf of the North Stand and immediately thought the noise was from some idiot/s intentionally disrupting the silence.
Is there anyone in the South Stand or Shelf side who was closer to it and saw what happened?
it seemed to come first from high up in the South stand and then from high up in the East stand.
I guess every football crowd had its share of village idiots…

He wasn’t alone by any means, but Bentancur wasn’t at his best first half. Couldn’t fault his effort but things just weren’t coming off. When Bissouma came on second half and gave us the additional player in midfield, Bentancur started to really play. He was taking balls on the half turn, looking up and forwards and his passing became much more crisp and accurate. Looked so much better than first half.
As someone who plays central midfield myself, knowing there's someone behind you holding the middle is such a boost. Having that safety net just allows you to take more risk and play with more freedom.

The final epitomises that. PEH is happy to break forward knowing Bissouma and Bentancur are behind.

I thought we started the game well, it was high tempo and very fast paced and it wasn't a surprise to see us have periods later where we looked leggy, tired and a bit stretched.
Sanchez messed up originally and tried too hard to recover things, considering the enormity of his mistake he recovered his composure pretty well and played ok for the rest of the time he was on.

Outside of the goals, it didn't feel like we created loads first half and Leicester played some pretty decent stuff - the extra player in midfield and having some good technical players meant we struggled but I never felt we weren't gonna win this and was surprised at some of the reactions at the half time whistle, heard some boos and swearing around me in the South stand.

Didn't understand swapping Sess and Perisic over after their goal and also our forwards were coughing the ball up too cheaply. Both Kane and Rich were guilty of flicking the ball onto no one and needed to hold it up better to help relieve pressure and retain possession.

Bent did well twice for goals and as is typical in a Rodgers coached team, they always cough up chances and are loose defensively. Obviously Son took his goals brilliantly but Conte really is a total pragmatist and wanted things under control and introduced Emerson (who was decent defensively) and Yves (who looked very decent) to shore things up. Even at 6-2 and a minute to go Conte was screaming at his players.

Must say I'd like to see the 352 more often, really think we could dominate teams but he's got 4 top forwards to keep happy and a system that gets results.

How do people feel about our style of play? It's not really the classic possession based footy that we've come to expect but he's getting results and we're probably 4/5 players away from having a team that can win the really big trophies so he deserves massive credit. In less than a year we've gone from utter shit to a well drilled results machine but it seems some are not happy and I'm interested to know why.

It’s the style of play as to why some moaning a bit. We sit in deep and allow the opposition the ball, which is fine when we break with good passes and purpose but when we don’t it feels like wave after wave of attacks against us

It’s the style of play as to why some moaning a bit. We sit in deep and allow the opposition the ball, which is fine when we break with good passes and purpose but when we don’t it feels like wave after wave of attacks against us
We don't seem to have quite mastered the art of playing out from the back.

Where was the infringement of the penalty? I have a still, dunno how to upload it but don't see why they retook the penalty.

André Mariner did VAR and he previously tried to disallow a Harry Kane goal by zooming in on VAR and excluding the ball which was in front of Kane, so he couldn't be offside even if he was last man.

Mariner was taking an age and as I said he zoomed in so viewers couldn't see the ball but on Tottenham's big screen they showed it.

Once Mariner realised Spurs had it on the big screen and fans started to BOO Mariner he zoomed out and then gave the goal.

This is the same man who made a retake of the penalty which was a dive - Sanchez starts to lunge and then pulls out - the Leicester player dives (Sky commentary do their lies to cover up). It was a very clear dive by Justine and a travesty, yet VAR Mariner did not overrule the ref on a clear and obvious error.

Same happened again when ref gave a foul on a Sanchez goal, and also a penalty on Sanchez with full contact on him in Leicester's box. Sky did not show one replay of it and basically ignored it.

Then Son's hattrick goal, how can the lino fllag offside and get it so wrong? They know it will be reviewed and even Mariner can't deny that one, so the linesman in a close call favours Leicester??? Why? How? Makes no sense except that TOTTENHAM GET THE WORST REFEREEING ON THE PLANET.
The pen was a pen. Sanchez catches his trailing leg, which was left to be caught. He wasn’t throwing himself down like salad, but he did go easy and early. Thought Sanchez was good overall, though.

We noticed this yesterday too, foot off the gas after we get in front. Don't think it's an instruction, probably psychological and hard to stop from happening.
I could see Hugo calling it. To get sharp to stop the usual soft goal after scoring. Doesn’t mean they have to withdraw as much as they do, but the mentality is important to avoid that kind of mistake.

Back
Top Bottom