Spurs vs Leicester City - Sat 17th Sept 2022 - 5:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We just looked a completely different side with a 3. My opinion always is if you got 5 at the back you don't Need 2 extra wingers as the width comes from the wing backs. It allows you to have the extra midfielder (in this case bissouma) that can allow you to completely control the game. Compliment that with 2 forward players with completely different assets that compliment each other so well in Kane and Son then you have your recipe for a good 5 at the back side. This 343 to me leaves us too light in the middle people getting in each others way out wide and as you say leaving the 2 in the middle with far too much to do(also resulting in defenders having to come out and support and getting caught out) and getting overrun.
The formation switch helped us but Leicester were open all game and were trying to grab an equaliser - this is to a large degree why Kane/Son were running riot when we won the ball back. Playing 3-5-2 against a low block team would prob leave us all frustrated; not enough creativity. Think it’s a good ace up our sleeve for certain moments in games or away to the likes of pool/city but I’d still prefer 3-4-3 to be our main formation.

I thought we started the game well, it was high tempo and very fast paced and it wasn't a surprise to see us have periods later where we looked leggy, tired and a bit stretched.
Sanchez messed up originally and tried too hard to recover things, considering the enormity of his mistake he recovered his composure pretty well and played ok for the rest of the time he was on.

Outside of the goals, it didn't feel like we created loads first half and Leicester played some pretty decent stuff - the extra player in midfield and having some good technical players meant we struggled but I never felt we weren't gonna win this and was surprised at some of the reactions at the half time whistle, heard some boos and swearing around me in the South stand.

Didn't understand swapping Sess and Perisic over after their goal and also our forwards were coughing the ball up too cheaply. Both Kane and Rich were guilty of flicking the ball onto no one and needed to hold it up better to help relieve pressure and retain possession.

Bent did well twice for goals and as is typical in a Rodgers coached team, they always cough up chances and are loose defensively. Obviously Son took his goals brilliantly but Conte really is a total pragmatist and wanted things under control and introduced Emerson (who was decent defensively) and Yves (who looked very decent) to shore things up. Even at 6-2 and a minute to go Conte was screaming at his players.

Must say I'd like to see the 352 more often, really think we could dominate teams but he's got 4 top forwards to keep happy and a system that gets results.

How do people feel about our style of play? It's not really the classic possession based footy that we've come to expect but he's getting results and we're probably 4/5 players away from having a team that can win the really big trophies so he deserves massive credit. In less than a year we've gone from utter shit to a well drilled results machine but it seems some are not happy and I'm interested to know why.

The problem is… it’s like when we score we just stop playing attacking football. We were great until Dier scored. And we were great until Bentancur scored in 2nd half. I don’t know ehat happens.

I thought we started the game well, it was high tempo and very fast paced and it wasn't a surprise to see us have periods later where we looked leggy, tired and a bit stretched.
Sanchez messed up originally and tried too hard to recover things, considering the enormity of his mistake he recovered his composure pretty well and played ok for the rest of the time he was on.

Outside of the goals, it didn't feel like we created loads first half and Leicester played some pretty decent stuff - the extra player in midfield and having some good technical players meant we struggled but I never felt we weren't gonna win this and was surprised at some of the reactions at the half time whistle, heard some boos and swearing around me in the South stand.

Didn't understand swapping Sess and Perisic over after their goal and also our forwards were coughing the ball up too cheaply. Both Kane and Rich were guilty of flicking the ball onto no one and needed to hold it up better to help relieve pressure and retain possession.

Bent did well twice for goals and as is typical in a Rodgers coached team, they always cough up chances and are loose defensively. Obviously Son took his goals brilliantly but Conte really is a total pragmatist and wanted things under control and introduced Emerson (who was decent defensively) and Yves (who looked very decent) to shore things up. Even at 6-2 and a minute to go Conte was screaming at his players.

Must say I'd like to see the 352 more often, really think we could dominate teams but he's got 4 top forwards to keep happy and a system that gets results.

How do people feel about our style of play? It's not really the classic possession based footy that we've come to expect but he's getting results and we're probably 4/5 players away from having a team that can win the really big trophies so he deserves massive credit. In less than a year we've gone from utter shit to a well drilled results machine but it seems some are not happy and I'm interested to know why.

I think 352 can only be used at certain points - if you start every game like that it's too easy for the opposition to line up in a 433 which matches you up in every key area

The problem is… it’s like when we score we just stop playing attacking football. We were great until Dier scored. And we were great until Bentancur scored in 2nd half. I don’t know ehat happens.
We noticed this yesterday too, foot off the gas after we get in front. Don't think it's an instruction, probably psychological and hard to stop from happening.

Really good post.

When we get the style of play right we are really really effective and its a great watch, it does rely on a little bit of individual quality and when players are not on form it can look abit iffy but on the whole I really enjoy it. People love to moan about when we're rubbish going forward but on the other hand we do look much better defensively. We grind out results much better than what we ever did in the past.

Completely agree about the progress of the club, a year ago no one had a clue where the club was going but since Conte has come in he has changed everything. Trouble with sport and football nowadays is people just want instant success and don't see the bigger picture. Even Conte had said that it will take more than a year or so to get us competitive for the Premier League but for me the fact that we're top on the league, level with the Oil Merchants I think we're doing really well.

What’s so foul about it?

I didn’t boo. I did what a lot of people did and stood in the stand while she was recognised.

I recognised peoples right to mourn. People should respect my right to dissent.

And then took my seat. Thought we played crap but won 6-2. Exciting. My Woolwich brethren are shivering.

When the 70 mins applause happened. It was muted. I didn’t clap. Other did. Some of those clapping said, “I’m a republican btw, this nuts”

So that’s my journey. Why are you so angry?
'My Woolwich brethren'.......you are the Woolwich brethren you prick.

Where was the infringement of the penalty? I have a still, dunno how to upload it but don't see why they retook the penalty.

André Mariner did VAR and he previously tried to disallow a Harry Kane goal by zooming in on VAR and excluding the ball which was in front of Kane, so he couldn't be offside even if he was last man.

Mariner was taking an age and as I said he zoomed in so viewers couldn't see the ball but on Tottenham's big screen they showed it.

Once Mariner realised Spurs had it on the big screen and fans started to BOO Mariner he zoomed out and then gave the goal.

This is the same man who made a retake of the penalty which was a dive - Sanchez starts to lunge and then pulls out - the Leicester player dives (Sky commentary do their lies to cover up). It was a very clear dive by Justine and a travesty, yet VAR Mariner did not overrule the ref on a clear and obvious error.

Same happened again when ref gave a foul on a Sanchez goal, and also a penalty on Sanchez with full contact on him in Leicester's box. Sky did not show one replay of it and basically ignored it.

Then Son's hattrick goal, how can the lino fllag offside and get it so wrong? They know it will be reviewed and even Mariner can't deny that one, so the linesman in a close call favours Leicester??? Why? How? Makes no sense except that TOTTENHAM GET THE WORST REFEREEING ON THE PLANET.

WTF?
It was a penalty. Sanchez visibly tripped him. And, unfortunately, like it or not, Lloris was off his line. None of this was debatable really.
If either scenario had gone the other way you'd be spitting utter venom if a) it wasn't given or b) the penalty wasn't re-taken.

What is more pertinent is why Sanchez goal was disallowed so quickly with barely a glance at VAR, why after he hit the bar and was subsequently flattened wasn't that looked at, and how the actual fuck the lino thought Son was offside and raised his flag at all. You didn't need lines to see he was on.

Not watched the game yet so only going by the posts. Seems a split in opinion. We weren’t great for large parts but good in others.
From what I can deduce we need 3 in midfield. I’d go with Biss main man then 2 from PEH bent skipp or kulu depending on the oppo. Eg v citeh no kulu but 2 from the other 3 plus Biss. Up top Kane and son with richo as sub.
3 in midfield would allow us to be more attacking in WB positions. So rwb has to be either spence or Doh. Royal is holding us back so much but conte loves him. We need to let the handbrake off!
I’d go like this:
Romero dier (no one else) lenglet
Spence, Biss , 2 from PEH/bent/skipp/kulu, perri
Kane and son.
Would still leave enough on the bench.
Great to win 6-2 and seems like parts of the game we were attacking g with pace.
Negatives based on the posts we let Leicester have the ball too much, they got 2 goals and Hugo had to make some decent saves. We really need to stay on the front foot and not left the oppo get a sniff. Said it before even crap trans will get confident and tails up doing this so asking for a spanked bun.
Keep it tight by all means but make sure to pressure.

Back
Top Bottom