Tottenham Hotspur v. AS Roma (I-Tech Cup) July 30, KO 19:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not half as bored as we are of hearing it. Maddison gets name checked a lot because he's exactly of player we miss, certainly in games like last night. Nobody is saying we should buy him or someone like him and change the formation suddenly. But we have four or five players to choose from in the middle of the park and neither of them offer any sort of threat or creativity in the opponents half. It puts big pressure on the wing-backs to create and ours are an average bunch collectively at best compared to Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea.

Lol..... If there was ever a post that is oblivious to the one which it is a reply to.......

People keep talking about the lack of creativity in this match but the answer seems to be go get Maddison or another CAM, not sure it works like that, I mean I'd like a CAM to come in as an option for when we need to change it up and I do like Maddison but he isn't going to suddenly be the answer to our problems in there, I don't think he is.

I don't even think we have a creativity issue, we are finding our players in space in and around the box, the problem is what happens when our players get to those positions, normally decision making and final ball is where it breaks down, maybe when we see Lenglet come in as he has the ability to overlap and cause overloads will give us an option.

People keep talking about the lack of creativity in this match but the answer seems to be go get Maddison or another CAM, not sure it works like that, I mean I'd like a CAM to come in as an option for when we need to change it up and I do like Maddison but he isn't going to suddenly be the answer to our problems in there, I don't think he is.

I don't even think we have a creativity issue, we are finding our players in space in and around the box, the problem is what happens when our players get to those positions, normally decision making and final ball is where it breaks down, maybe when we see Lenglet come in as he has the ability to overlap and cause overloads will give us an option.

It's certainly a matter beyond merely parroting "bUy A cAm" over and over and complaining about PEH.

Perisic very good as expected - lenglet very good not as expected - confident for the season ahead though 2 big take outs from the game - if we don’t learn to defend a corner into the six yard box we are fucked (it’s lge one basic football) and just keep Kane away from free kicks it’s as embarrassing as our inability to defend a corner !

It's certainly a matter beyond merely parroting "bUy A cAm" over and over and complaining about PEH.

Yeah it's nonsense, people just think a CAM is suddenly gonna make us more creative and we'll open up teams at will. Last season when we played those teams who sat back denied us space the onus was on the CB's and WB's to create as they had most of the ball (as they generally had the most space on the pitch).

As I said though it would be nice to get an attacking mid as an option.

Don't get too high or too low on pre season games. Personally, I'm encouraged by what Perisic and Lenglet can potentially bring to our left side. Bissouma and Bentancur is potentially a very classy midfield pair that we haven't seen yet. And Spence is a bit of a wildcard down the right, though seeing him against the goons last year shows he does have the tools for the job.

We have had some tough runouts to get fitter, now Conte will have the week to prepare his team for Southampton. We should be very optimistic.
Think your being wildly optimistic mate having watched that game with the players we had and not have a single shot on target is a cause for concern.
We still don't look any better than last season despite all the adulation about our summer window.
All we have done is put a plaster over certain positions such as RWB nothing has changed there and the lack of creativity for a club in the CL is laughable.
I think the so called 150m injection has clouded many peoples vision and yet again has created a false narrative that spurs are challengers they are not.
We are probably playing for somewhere between 4th and 6th and that is it others around have improved such as the gooners who so far are free scoring and not conceding the total opposite to us.

Then we better hope Lenglet hits the ground running or we buy a new LCB.

With Rodon and perhaps Tanganga out of the door, Sanchez may get quite a lot of playing time this season. I’m pessimistic about him.
Sanchez is an inconsistent defender, and consistently shit on the ball. Get him out

Yeah it's nonsense, people just think a CAM is suddenly gonna make us more creative and we'll open up teams at will.

As was the case when we had Eriksen playing #10 under Poch; strike hard and early or it's a long afternoon.

Last season when we played those teams who sat back denied us space the onus was on the CB's and WB's to create as they had most of the ball (as they generally had the most space on the pitch).

I thought it was universally understood that CBs & WBs are pivotal for Conte-ball. I guess not.

As I said though it would be nice to get an attacking mid as an option.

Indeed. Options is always nice.

Think your being wildly optimistic mate having watched that game with the players we had and not have a single shot on target is a cause for concern.
We still don't look any better than last season despite all the adulation about our summer window.
All we have done is put a plaster over certain positions such as RWB nothing has changed there and the lack of creativity for a club in the CL is laughable.
I think the so called 150m injection has clouded many peoples vision and yet again has created a false narrative that spurs are challengers they are not.
We are probably playing for somewhere between 4th and 6th and that is it others around have improved such as the gooners who so far are free scoring and not conceding the total opposite to us.
I think people have gone a bit overboard with how well we have done in the transfer market, but I think you have to look at it in the context of Conte's reign as a whole, so far.

Since Conte took over, I think we outscored almost everybody whilst having a top 3 defence, and getting a top 4 place with a very strong finish to the season in the last ten games or so.

We have massively upgraded at left wing back, which was our joint weakest position (along with right wing back). For rwb, Conte had Doherty playing at a much better level, until his injury v Villa. We have added Spence and we'll wait and see how that goes. The attacking output from wide areas will be night and day compared to Reg, Sess and Emerson.

Going back to the Roma friendly, it's a game of fractions. No shots on target was down to poorly executed finishing as opposed to a lack of chances. I can think of 3 instances where the shot should have been on target, from Perisic, Son and Kane. That's not taking into account that it was a friendly game played in ridiculous humidity.

I think you are being too downbeat. In half a dozen games time we could likely see a starting xi of Lloris - Romero, Dier, Lenglet - Spence, Bentancur, Bissouma, Perisic - Kulusevski, Kane, Son. That's 6 changes to the starting XI since Conte took charge, in two transfer windows. Given we finished 4th without having many/any of these players available for last season, why shouldn't we be optimistic about the season ahead?

I think people have gone a bit overboard with how well we have done in the transfer market, but I think you have to look at it in the context of Conte's reign as a whole, so far.

Since Conte took over, I think we outscored almost everybody whilst having a top 3 defence, and getting a top 4 place with a very strong finish to the season in the last ten games or so.

We have massively upgraded at left wing back, which was our joint weakest position (along with right wing back). For rwb, Conte had Doherty playing at a much better level, until his injury v Villa. We have added Spence and we'll wait and see how that goes. The attacking output from wide areas will be night and day compared to Reg, Sess and Emerson.

Going back to the Roma friendly, it's a game of fractions. No shots on target was down to poorly executed finishing as opposed to a lack of chances. I can think of 3 instances where the shot should have been on target, from Perisic, Son and Kane. That's not taking into account that it was a friendly game played in ridiculous humidity.

I think you are being too downbeat. In half a dozen games time we could likely see a starting xi of Lloris - Romero, Dier, Lenglet - Spence, Bentancur, Bissouma, Perisic - Kulusevski, Kane, Son. That's 6 changes to the starting XI since Conte took charge, in two transfer windows. Given we finished 4th without having many/any of these players available for last season, why shouldn't we be optimistic about the season ahead?
I'm not being down beat I just wasn't caught up in the hype through the summer like many others were and the media because not much has really changed.

I'm not being down beat

Nah, you're the original party boy innit! :contesmile:

I just wasn't caught up in the hype through the summer like many others were and the media because not much has really changed.

Undoubtedly improved 2 positions in the first XI (Bissouma & Perisic) and improved our depth..... But not much has changed.

:contebored:

Pre-season this pre-season that but watching Real-Juve right now and Barca-Juve and City-Liv recently, they're several levels above what we've shown so far.

Much more crisp and accurate passing, more movement and combination plays, moment of individual quality, pace of play etc.

Night and day.
Perhaps we are beasting the players and conditioning them….. so they are going into games tired and fatigued (intentionally) and they have a recovery week now before the real stuff starts?

Conte is v focused on fitness so it wouldn’t surprise me

I'm not being down beat I just wasn't caught up in the hype through the summer like many others were and the media because not much has really changed.
I guess we fundamentally disagree then. Even if we signed nobody, a full season with Conte, Bentancur and Kulusevski would alone be an improvement on last season. But Perisic in at left wing back is a top class signing and I think Bissouma is an upgrade on Hojbjerg. Spence and Lenglet are potential upgrades, we will wait and see. Richarlison is a big upgrade on Bergwijn and gives us a proper rotation option for the forward positions.

I don't think it's been a perfect transfer window, but I think there is far too much stock put into pre season friendlies, we saw that with Ramos (an example I always repeat). Likewise people who are impressed with Woolwich, let's see how they do in the real games. I'm sure Jesus has out performed Son and Kane in pre season, I don't think any of us are in a hurry to swap them though.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised once the real games begin.

Back
Top Bottom