Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's see if Jose inevitably surprises us but it's too soon for me to pass judgement on how it's goin with him.
Again, more conventional wisdom that gets trotted out on these pages and routinely in football discussions. It is not 'too soon for [you] to pass judgement'. You can pass preliminary, incremental, process, etc evaluation on Jose, Spurs, your morning breakfast, or your post-breakfast turd. You can do evaluate thing according to any number of criteria; the expectations, the formations, tactics, sideline antics, interviews, etc.

The only things it is possibly too early to make is 'final judgement'. And believe it or not it may not be too early for that. You know why? If it's is perhaps going exactly as you expected it to go based on passed evidence, and no new or surprising results/data are being gathered, then it is reasonable to conclude that what you previous expected holds...ie it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

To be clear I'm not saying I or anyone else should have made 'final judgement'. I'm just saying it is never to early to draw reasonable conclusion from you observations...got to be clear here otherwise some mook will pop in with a "so you're sayin..." type response. For the record no, I'm not sayin...

But his remit was to secure champions league football and the windfall that comes with it.
If it wasn't, why wasn't he sacked after such an abject tactical failure.

Pochettino was sacked because we were 14th in the table and had presided over a run of 25 points in his last 24 league games and lost the dressing room.

It’s been patchy enough under Mourinho so far. He inherited an utter mess but 26 points have still been amassed in his first 15 league games, the 3rd best record in the league behind Liverpool and Manchester City in that period.

I don't see why tbh. Again, In my defense... I made clear from my first post the part that I was contesting.

Makes me laugh.... I was as vocally opposed to Jose as ANYONE on this forum when his name was first flung around and he was polled as a successor. I'm just prepared to give it some time now he's here and am pleased to see he's at least got us into a position where it's possible to salvage something out of this season in the meantime.

If by means of ugly football we end up back in the CL next year I'll take that in the short term. Cup success would of course be a welcome bonus... (Regardless of how shit-house cunts like John Thomas John Thomas or Don Giovanni Don Giovanni want to paint me.)

More fucking irony; those two shit-talking haters and their ilk have been bleating on since October that the "season is over", yet here we are still credibly scrapping for our targets and proving my faith in the club to be well founded.

UP THE FUCKING SPURS!
But I'm not nor have I accused you of wanting him or not wanting him or supporting him or not supporting him.

I have only been at pains to express that Jose's football has been dross. And not as good as Poch's. Which is the gist of the journo's tweet.

We've gone on further to expand on the why's thereafter. I can handle us playing well and loosing. I can handle us not quite clicking so long as I can see what it is that we are trying to do, and what is required to make us click, or have a handle on what it is that we are trying to play like. This is exactly what I did with Poch. This is giving the manager time.

If during this time we are playing shit, then that will be discussed, same too if during that time we play well or look like we are improving.

I don't want to be dragged into any other beef you are having with other posters but the irony is though that it is our manger that can't wait for the season to be over.

Again, more conventional wisdom that gets trotted out on these pages and routinely in football discussions. It is not 'too soon for [you] to pass judgement'. You can pass preliminary, incremental, process, etc evaluation on Jose, Spurs, your morning breakfast, or your post-breakfast turd. You can do evaluate thing according to any number of criteria; the expectations, the formations, tactics, sideline antics, interviews, etc.

The only things it is possibly too early to make is 'final judgement'. And believe it or not it may not be too early for that. You know why? If it's is perhaps going exactly as you expected it to go based on passed evidence, and no new or surprising results/data are being gathered, then it is reasonable to conclude that what you previous expected holds...ie it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

To be clear I'm not saying I or anyone else should have made 'final judgement'. I'm just saying it is never to early to draw reasonable conclusion from you observations...got to be clear here otherwise some mook will pop in with a "so you're sayin..." type response. For the record no, I'm not sayin...

He's been at the football club for 3 months and taken us from 13th to 5th. He's done so whilst losing key players through injury or suspension like Son, Kane, Lloris, Sissoko and Davies whilst our record signing apparently can't finish 90 minutes of football. The reason I say it's impossible for me to judge him so early is, if you like it or not he's actually done alright.

Prior to Sonny getting injured we were bettered only by Liverpool in terms of points gained since he took over. The 10-12 months prior to that we were actually bottom of the league table, averaging a point a game. Sorry mate but if that's any other manager doing that with sucha demoralised and wayward looking team, he'd be getting mad praise. Simply put it's too early to judge him because he has probably got us higher in the table than anyone would have imagined. How can he be poorly judged for what is ultimately a results business?

But I'm not nor have I accused you of wanting him or not wanting him or supporting him or not supporting him.

I know... I'd broadened my spiel out to a general basis by that point.

Nor am I telling you whether or not you should give Jose more time.

I don't want to be dragged into any other beef you are having with other posters

You needn't feel that you are either mate... My comments garnered a response beyond just yours....

If during this time we are playing shit, then that will be discussed, same too if during that time we play well or look like we are improving.

Sure. I'm not deluded to expect any different.

but the irony is though that it is our manger that can't wait for the season to be over.

I anticipate the finish line too.. Like I said, in this sense this season has become all about the placings rather than savouring the journey.

Last edited:
How can he be poorly judged for what is ultimately a results business?

It is a results business, but when I was 7 it wasn’t - or it didn’t seem to be to my young mind. I can’t speak for others, but I still find difficulty reconciling results vs enjoyment. Supporting, and going to watch Spurs, was my escape from a humdrum world of school, never ending Sundays, and greyness. Spurs was a splash of vibrant colour in my youth, and I must accept that has gone. Nonetheless, apart from my family, I’ve never loved anything for so long,

It is a results business, but when I was 7 it wasn’t - or it didn’t seem to be to my young mind. I can’t speak for others, but I still find difficulty reconciling results vs enjoyment. Supporting, and going to watch Spurs, was my escape from a humdrum world of school, never ending Sundays, and greyness. Spurs was a splash of vibrant colour in my youth, and I must accept that has gone. Nonetheless, apart from my family, I’ve never loved anything for so long,

She'll always be my first love, my life's love, maybe even my only love :pochcry:

Simply put it's too early to judge him because he has probably got us higher in the table than anyone would have imagined.
Did you even read what i wrote? I think we are having a fundamental failure to communicate. Do you feel that 'judging' necessarily means to look at unfavorably? It doesn't. It just means to look at objectively and critically. That can happen at any point. You are defending his work thus far by posting those results. Presumably you are judging him favorably thus far. No problem. But is sure as shit isn't too early to pass an interim judgement.
How can he be poorly judged for what is ultimately a results business?
See, this is a strawman. No one said anything about being judged 'poorly' just that it is possible for him to be judged at this point.

And you can be judged poorly for good results but bad football. Though typically prioritized, most teams, people, and/or businesses have multiple objectives at once. That shouldn't come as a surprise to you...or are you that single-minded?

Did you even read what i wrote? I think we are having a fundamental failure to communicate. Do you feel that 'judging' necessarily means to look at unfavorably? It doesn't. It just means to look at objectively and critically. That can happen at any point. You are defending his work thus far by posting those results. Presumably you are judging him favorably thus far. No problem. But is sure as shit isn't too early to pass an interim judgement.

See, this is a strawman. No one said anything about being judged 'poorly' just that it is possible for him to be judged at this point.

And you can be judged poorly for good results but bad football. Though typically prioritized, most teams, people, and/or businesses have multiple objectives at once. That shouldn't come as a surprise to you...or are you that single-minded?

I get what you're saying but I think it's safe to say that those who are judging him on this forum hence my discussion on said judgement is predominantly of the negative ilk. Likewise with the positive judgement, 3 months in and the majority not his players, it's still too early to judge for the long term Jose era and it's potential be it good or bad.

I defend his work because of the limitations and factually where we were position wise and where we are now. If people were going doolally for what he's done I'd still reserve my judgement but overall in a short space of time I honestly don't think he's done that bad. It's still early days however and I get that but in normal working life he's still in what many would regard as being their probation period. I don't no judge him as the second coming or a false dawn, I just see it as being a decent start to his career at Spurs early doors pal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom