Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is how he plays mate. This is our lot. This is the Jose brand of football.

Maybe but I always want to give any manager time. Let’s see what happens next season and if it stays the same then I’d imagine Levy will be forced to pull the trigger.

If he goes though it leaves us in a big mess and also it leaves Levy in a mess. What vision is left for the club. Our scouting and philosophy would seem very erratic. I hope at that point Levy finally accepts that we should appoint a director of football and that he is not a football man but a business man.

Maybe but I always want to give any manager time. Let’s see what happens next season and if it stays the same then I’d imagine Levy will be forced to pull the trigger.

If he goes though it leaves us in a big mess and also it leaves Levy in a mess. What vision is left for the club. Our scouting and philosophy would seem very erratic. I hope at that point Levy finally accepts that we should appoint a director of football and that he is not a football man but a business man.
Levy has been and is a business man but on the pitch the club still fails to deliver.

Let's hoe he's gonna do next season.
Pep was awful 1st season at City, just like Klopp with Liveroool.

Just be patient. We knew this season is fucked.
But Mourinho still got it, no doubt in my mind.

Btw his way of speaking to media is way more likrable than what Poch used to do. Poch was gentleman, Jose doesn't give a shit.

Levy has been and is a business man but on the pitch the club still fails to deliver.

That’s the point we go from Redknapp to AVB to Poch to Mourinho while leaving holes in the squad.

I love what Levy has done with the business and stadium and how that has set us up long term just wish he would keep out of the football side and that requires a DOF to control and run the long term vision of the football side.

Wtf?

I've taken on you're bet of £50 that Jose will still be here at Xmas.

If he's gone, you pay my charity £50 if not I pay yours £50.

I then offered you a £100 bet that Jose won't equal or better Poch's miracle of taking a Daniel Levy team to a CL final. You know, when you pissed on my statement that Poch worked miracles

A different bet unrelated to yours.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs . Are you taking on my bet, or backing out?

Mourinho isn’t taking us to a CL final and 4th in the League. And if he does, it will be under the most shithouse football you and I have ever witnessed. Poor old Spurs are getting lost in this argument. It’s all about Poch vs Mourinho and their supporters.

For the record, Poch wasn’t good enough, and Mourinho certainly isn’t. But somehow we’re this supernova football club, right? We’re a mid-table club punching above our weight, and if we’re not why no trophies? We just exist to make money. 8th richest club in the world? How? On the back of a league cup in 2008? Fuck’s sake. Modern football is fucked.

Last edited:
I am more worried now than when I was when he first arrived. I expected to see what we are seeing now but I am alarmed that in the space of fewer than three months he's gone from:
JM: "having one of the best squads in the League" to losing TWO key players from that squad to now "I wish it was July".

That 'one of the best squad in the league...' comment was absolutely baffling to me. I don't for one moment believe he actually thought that. That's when the alarms bells started ringing for me, very early on. If you take out Celsco and Ndombele our midfield is totally sub par.

That’s the point we go from Redknapp to AVB to Poch to Mourinho while leaving holes in the squad.

I love what Levy has done with the business and stadium and how that has set us up long term just wish he would keep out of the football side and that requires a DOF to control and run the long term vision of the football side.
No one can argue that the infrastructure at the club is in a good place world class even but on the pitch levy apart from the league cup win has presided over 20 years of failure and nearly men status.

But surely in order to have faith for next year you need to see elements of what he can do and what he promised to be demonstrated in this. That is why beating City or Wolves whilst being outplayed is still worrying. The underlying performance demonstrates there are deep issues at play.

I am more worried now than when I was when he first arrived. I expected to see what we are seeing now but I am alarmed that in the space of fewer than three months he's gone from:
JM: "having one of the best squads in the League" to losing TWO key players from that squad to now "I wish it was July".

A lot believe that winning ugly is what it's all about, what is it when we lose or draw ugly too?

Whilst playing with a style and panache is great but I'm not expecting to see this. I think that would be a tuff ask for any new manager that comes in. But I am looking for evidence of a more progressive form of football, even if we lose. I am looking for elements of coaching demonstrated with patterns of repeated play. I am now even left scraping the barrel by looking for evidence of coaching of his pragmatic style he's been famed for and I see no evidence of this!!

Surely there is a logic in looking at the "performance(s)" regardless of the result to analyse and look for indicators that there is indeed any coaching going on. If this isn't evident why would there be any confidence be placed in an individual to shape the future of the team?
Agreed when he came in he said it was the best squad he had taken over and didn’t need to buy anyone! He was so pleased. Now it’s a different tune and he can’t be bothered to try anything different. Even if we had Andy Carroll or Bernard up from he would play the same way! This is the manager that said spurs parked the bus in front of the goal when we got a 0-0 v chelski and supported would be frustrated to pay £50 to watch that type of football! Everyone said we had a top 4 squad at the start of the season so what’s changed? We have a new manager everyone thought would take us to next level but like a few posts we have been outplayed in virtually every game! Teams with far less quality play better football than we do I do not accept that can’t play better football and still get results. Just image if those lucky wins we got , which were not due to any tactical plan, we had lost or drawn what every one be saying. Just take the wolves and villa games 2 points instead of 6!we would be nowhere near top 4.

Won 3 EPL titles, 2 Serie A titles, 1 La Liga title, 2 Champions League, 1 Europa League, numerous domestic cups and there are people who think he's shit and even calling him shit.
He took over just 3 months ago and do you really expect this team (14th place by the time he took over) to play like champions all of sudden?
Don't you think even the greatest football manager will need more time and at least one proper transfer market to make proper changes?
Have some respect and patience people, he's a proven winner and the best manager you ever had.

Absolutely spot on. It’s not easy coming in mid season and taking on another managers team.
Since he arrived in late November we have scored something like 39 goals in 22 games.. That’s not bad is it?

We all know there is some dead wood in this squad and I’m sure he knows it as well he needs a summer transfer window to put his stamp on this squad and get players in to play the system he wants.

Injuries are just a pathetic excuse, he’s had Kane and Son playing in the home game v Chelsea and away at Man Utd and guess what? We played the same fucking crap. These are games where he should have shown his tactical masterclass yet the way we were set was to sit back and hope for the best which is far from tactical masterclass.

And for the most points won since his appointment? We’ve scraped through a lot of results, see 1-2 away at Wolves, the win against Man City, I’d say even the win against Villa was circumstantial lucky despite creating and missing a lot of chances.
Wouldn’t be so rosy if you look through that.

Last edited:
Mourinho isn’t taking us to a CL final and 4th in the League. And if he does, it will be under the most shithouse football you and I have ever witnessed. Poor old Spurs are getting lost in this argument. It’s all about Poch vs Mourinho and their supporters.

For the record, Poch wasn’t good enough, and Mourinho certainly isn’t. But somehow we’re this supernova football club, right? We’re a mid-table club punching above our weight, and if we’re not why no trophies? We just exist to make money. 8th richest club in the world? How? On the back of a league cup in 2008? Fuck’s sake. Modern football is fucked.
I maintain that Poch worked miracles getting this team to 4 successive top four finishes and a CL Final working under the financial constraints imposed by Levy.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs disagrees

What miracle did Poch achieve?

He also thinks Mourinho will move us on. Do more than Poch
No I don't. I think Poch took as far as he could and Mourinho will move us on.

As I said before - Poch made us dare, Mourinho will make us do,..

So, I offered him a £100 (to charity) bet that Mourinho will not match or exceed Poch's miracle of taking a Daniel Levy team to a CL final

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs , im still waiting for clarification. Are you going to back up your claims or back down?

But surely in order to have faith for next year you need to see elements of what he can do and what he promised to be demonstrated in this. That is why beating City or Wolves whilst being outplayed is still worrying. The underlying performance demonstrates there are deep issues at play.

A lot believe that winning ugly is what it's all about, what is it when we lose or draw ugly too?

Whilst playing with a style and panache is great but I'm not expecting to see this. I think that would be a tuff ask for any new manager that comes in. But I am looking for evidence of a more progressive form of football, even if we lose. I am looking for elements of coaching demonstrated with patterns of repeated play. I am now even left scraping the barrel by looking for evidence of coaching of his pragmatic style he's been famed for and I see no evidence of this!!

Surely there is a logic in looking at the "performance(s)" regardless of the result to analyse and look for indicators that there is indeed any coaching going on. If this isn't evident why would there be any confidence be placed in an individual to shape the future of the team?

Good post.

I sat watching the game yesterday and thought what a load of sh!t.

Anytime we lose I am irritated but I just saw nothing to give me confidence.

Worst however is that I flit between feelings from game to game and that completely suggests no pattern of anything tangible and concrete .

Mourinho would expect to be judged to some extent because of what he has done in the past. He would surely expect us fans to see evidence of his presence. I am struggling to see that, notwithstanding the comparative points haul.

Whether we need 3 links as in players to bind it all together or 5 or 6 new faces I have no idea but we are not the best at anything at present and I suspect not even n the top 5 in any one facet You don't win things with those kind of stats.

I maintain that Poch worked miracles getting this team to 4 successive top four finishes and a CL Final working under the financial constraints imposed by Levy.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs disagrees

He also thinks Mourinho will move us on. Do more than Poch

So, I offered him a £100 (to charity) bet that Mourinho will not match or exceed Poch's miracle of taking a Daniel Levy team to a CL final

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs , im still waiting for clarification. Are you going to back up your claims or back down?
I’m off to Coombe Hill to fly kites. The kids are ridiculously excited. Sod Spurs, they’ll always let you down. Have a nice Sunday.

The CL final was a miracle, no doubt. We played mostly terrible football for the entire CL campaign and were bailed out by a few amazing moments at crucial times, mainly from hoofing the ball long to Llorente. The squad had run out of legs and couldn't play proper football anymore.

The top 4 finishes were not a miracle. Poch had Kane, Son, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Walker, Rose, Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, etc all in their prime. World class players in almost every position. Finishing in the top 4 with those players was not a miracle when you consider how inferior the likes of Chelsea, Woolwich and United were at that time.

I think part of the problem is that we have seen the Jose story play out numerous times before.

Many people were hoping that he would tweak his tactics following some time away from the game and modernise in line with how the top clubs are approaching football, particularly in the big games.

Whilst I accept he is without key players, nothing in his Spurs tenure or the history of his management record has indicated that anything will change in approach when Kane and Son are back and he has his own players in from the transfer window. This is Jose ball.

Also wish people would stop referencing his trophy haul too. You could do the same with Wenger; the game can quickly pass managers by when they don’t adapt. Focus on what you’re seeing he is doing with the players and tactically on the pitch.

Just over a year ago we went to Stamford Bridge with no Kane, no Son and no Dele due to injuries and Asian tournaments. League Cup semi final. I was at both this and yesterday’s game. We lost both 2-1 but we were so much worse yesterday. No clear plan, system, cohesion, fight, spirit - nothing. Jose is in danger of looking on a par with George Graham or Tim Sherwood, and his increasingly open negativity is not going to sit well with ENIC. Fans are depressed. Players are depressed. There’s very little to buy into right now with Mou and I’m starting to feel it’s going to be a very short term appointment.

Given the fact that only 443 people make up the population at this time the 77% in favour equates to about 301 votes. In Spurs terms 301 voices doesn’t amount to many. I’d be interested to know what the outcome would be if 5000 or 15000 had cast their vote.

To answer your question it does not tell me a lot; I could only speculate; and given the high number online that “ root for “ spurs , rather than follow or support spurs... they maybe don’t understand the vehemence of the rivalry with Chelsea.

I think it more accurately reflects Spurs fans in general

Back
Top Bottom