Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not like before the last 2 years he was scoring goals either.

Debuted in Nov 16.... Scored on debut.... Injured at end of that season.... In and out the following year.... He hasn't even had a year's worth of appearances as a #8.... I'm not championing hi scoring record; it just seems a bit silly comparing his goal prowess to a proper #8 by trade that was actually deployed to contribute to our attack. Maybe if he'd been allowed to develope as a #8 we'd be having a different conversation.

Even when Jose first arrived his openly catagorised Winks a a passer rather than a DM.

Sad thing is that Winks has been coached into being a 'safety first' player which was the opposite of his strengths as a #8 (forward passing, chasing and runs from MF).

I think one offsets the other.

Stylish football with no trophies? Most fans will live with that

Shite football with trophies? Most fans will take that too

But. Shite football with no trophies? Now we're down to the likes of Airfixx Airfixx and RomanzoCriminale RomanzoCriminale
Spot on. There is zero sympathy for managers who play bad football without results.

Klopp is an excellent example here. His first 2 years at Liverpool were open to criticism if you look strictly at the results. But it was clear to see an exciting pathway and identity towards success.

The reason Moyes and Big Sam are consistently getting sacked is because as soon as the results dry up there is zero to cling on to.

Being a football fan is about hope. There’s no reason to support anyone but the big clubs otherwise. Good football gives you hope.

Sorry I typed that out too quickly.

I think my point was that it was made out to be. Jose fans say “we had a coach who could play good football, now we need a winner”. The inference from those people is that the options are exclusive and they aren’t.

I find our situation a little bit like dating a lovely pretty girl, the sort your parents want you to marry and have kids with. That hasn’t worked out so you decide to root a filthbag instead as some sort of rebound.
All I’m saying is that Spurs are known more for stylish football rather than being serial trophy winners. Most Spurs fans didn’t start supporting the club because of trophies won. I see I’m getting a few disagrees, that’s fine, but am I wrong?

He wasn't. He makes NO reference to any time period past or present. He's just talking about the style of football being better. You brought up last season. I brought up is first season as an example of the football not being great but under a new manager, there were signs of something there (I thought it relevant comparison to make seeing as we have a new manager now).

Yeh, but that's YOUR perspective; not that offered by the tweets.... He's being far more simplistic....

Paraphrasing: Poch is pretty / Jose is ugly.

Your take is far more nuanced.... Which is why I said in my first post; I'm taking umbrage with the tweeter; not your position on the matter.

Last edited:
All I’m saying is that Spurs are known more for stylish football rather than being serial trophy winners. Most Spurs fans didn’t start supporting the club because of trophies won. I see I’m getting a few disagrees, that’s fine, but am I wrong?
Not at all.

I’ll honestly say right now I wouldn’t swap these last few years for mid table finishes and a couple of league cups.

The highs I’ve experienced as Spurs fan during the Poch era are far and above anything I can remember in my lifetime including the 2 league cup wins. I couldn’t give 2 fucks if a Gooner or West Ham fan thinks the only way to wind me up is to point to a lack of trophies over that period. I’ll keep my head high knowing it’s the happiest I’ve been as a fan of this club in 20 years.

It would be deemed massive if the big clubs weren't dismissive of it. If it's dismissed then it can't be considered massive.

It's a conundrum for sure and one that will not be fixed. Because so long as the CL shuts it's doors and disproportionately pays the "historic big teams" and the National leagues around Europe are dominated by the same clubs it will always be dismissed by those teams.

Just look back to the old European Cup, over a two-decade period it was one by a good cross-section of clubs, from Villa to Forrest to Milan, Juventus and Liverpool to Ajax etc. Because of this and more fluid leagues and the formate of the UEFA Cup, both were genuinely sort after Cups.

I think CL qualification makes it much less dismissed, though obviously if a club is comfortably running high in their domestic league it’s not really a concern.

I’d definitely take a European trophy over a domestic cup, bar the league. Largely because I’m a petty bastard who likes telling gooners that we have more European trophies than them.

Do you really rate poch that highly as a manager?

No he just wants City's owners THAT badly.
I think one offsets the other.

Stylish football with no trophies? Most fans will live with that

Shite football with trophies? Most fans will take that too

But. Shite football with no trophies? Now we're down to the likes of Airfixx Airfixx and RomanzoCriminale RomanzoCriminale

No John.... I've not mentioned trophies(*) here only to make the point that in my mind the EL IS worth winning. Funny tho'.... You're crusading for Poch; which is odd cos Poch wasn't that fussed about the 'lesser' cups.

(*Nor ENIC; but don't let that get in the way of your usual fake news-ing)

Shite-talk as usual.

Yeh, but that's YOUR perspective; not that offered by the tweets.... He's being far more simplistic....

Paraphrasing: Poch is pretty / Jose is ugly.

Your take is far more nuanced.... Which is why I said in my first point; I'm taking umbrage with the tweeter; not your position on the matter.
But that's twitter for you and it's taken us multiple posts back and forth to clarify.

Jose's football is dross though. I never said that about Poch's nor has the football world.

I think CL qualification makes it much less dismissed, though obviously if a club is comfortably running high in their domestic league it’s not really a concern.

I’d definitely take a European trophy over a domestic cup, bar the league. Largely because I’m a petty bastard who likes telling gooners that we have more European trophies than them.
And I concede it's the best-looking trophy bar none.

I'd love a trophy or two but as a Spurs fan the minimum requirement I demand is good football and being entertained. Players like Lo Celso, Sonny and if he comes good Ndombele are talent wise what makes me fall in love with the game.

Due to where we were last season and going into this one, the entertainment factor needs rebuilding. Let's see if Jose inevitably surprises us but it's too soon for me to pass judgement on how it's goin with him. 3 months in and we were 13th when he took over, it was vital we steadied the ship.

Back
Top Bottom