Champions League finalists Liverpool and Tottenham now worlds apart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very clear you need to spend heavily on the players to achieve big things. Strange that people still try to deny this. Well actually it's not as they are levy lovers.
Robertson cost 9M and is the best LB in the PL
Arnold cost 0 and is the best RB in the PL

Ndombele cost 64M and isnt better than Henderson.

Must try harder to think before you type.

Very clear you need to spend heavily on the players to achieve big things. Strange that people still try to deny this. Well actually it's not as they are levy lovers.
Utd 1993-2013? Many of their players coming through academy? Barca academy?
I think that’s what Levy’s hoping to emulate - get decent youth setup and save yourself millions. Makes absolute sense. Even City and Chelsea do it with their rich owners...

The thing is, they deserved to be in the CL final last season, we were miles behind the genuine elite teams in Europe and still are, goes without saying.

On a normal day teams like Barcelona, PSG and Bayern would absolutely murder us and it remains to be seems whether we can beat RB Leipzig.. If anyone still thinks that will be easy :mourcheeks:

I think they were lucky enough to be in the final too. I think Barca thought it was job done and were undone by some silly mistakes.

Utd 1993-2013? Many of their players coming through academy? Barca academy?
I think that’s what Levy’s hoping to emulate - get decent youth setup and save yourself millions. Makes absolute sense. Even City and Chelsea do it with their rich owners...
United still outspent most teams. Don't think you can say they didn't invest much yet won a lot. They could buy the likes of Rio, Rooney etc off poorer premiership teams. & give them much higher wages.
Really it's just the 1 off Leicester season.

This forum becomes more of an apology shop by the day.

Liverpool, get within an inch of winning the title after losing just 1 game and actually win the fucking Champions League. They sign nobody this Summer and have the Leagie title pretty muched wrapped up by Xmas.

Somehow this makes us, who had actually won nothing, ducking out of 2 successive transfer windows and starting the rotten corpse of a squad we're seeing today, all Ok.

It was a masterstroke by Levy all along!

:harrylol:

United still outspent most teams. Don't think you can say they didn't invest much yet won a lot. They could buy the likes of Rio, Rooney etc off poorer premiership teams. & give them much higher wages.
Yep - but they only bought the odd player here and there - we ‘won’ the transfer window with the Bale money; we spent (or promised to spend) 140m this summer - Liverpool plugged gaps with ‘better’ players.

the issue, as I suspect we’ll get into a circular argument about, is that there aren’t that many ‘better’ players that can be bought in for most positions at an acceptable price. (And this will now be the same for most clubs - can’t see Chelsea spending big on replacing their ageing players this window even though Frank’s said they will do). EPL standard is basically all internationals and so it’s a marginal improvement at best for 50-60m.

the problem we have is that we need to plug several gaps at once as players have grown old or left - and that is the fault of Poch or the scouts - can’t place it at Levy’s door - he’s always spent on players if asked (albeit Saha, Nelsen and Gallas!). A window of no movement is not Levy, but the manager and the high quality of the team in place.
Based on this logic - we may see a bit of movement this month, but that will depend on moving in Eriksen, Rose etcetera. As contracts expire, more movement come the summer, I expect.

This forum becomes more of an apology shop by the day.

Liverpool, get within an inch of winning the title after losing just 1 game and actually win the fucking Champions League. They sign nobody this Summer and have the Leagie title pretty muched wrapped up by Xmas.

Somehow this makes us, who had actually won nothing, ducking out of 2 successive transfer windows and starting the rotten corpse of a squad we're seeing today, all Ok.

It was a masterstroke by Levy all along!

:harrylol:
Yeah it's a very illogical argument. Why don't we just spend 500m this summer & than none the following summer. Then say we won without spending in s whole summer. This us the reason for our success, not the massive spending spree the summer before.
Just like pretending wages have no impact. The half a billion more Liverpool have spent. In which case we should just offer 500k per week to the best players around & say wages don't count so we have barely spent.

I think Ederson is personally because he doesn’t make flappy Bobby Mimms style errors a few times a year.
As Yorkshire Yid said, the competition is pretty shite.
The likes of De Gea, Lloris, Kepa and Allison aren’t fit to lace the boots of Buffon, Cassilas, Schmicael, Neuer etc at the top of their careers.

Football quality in general has waned since the halcyon days of the late 90s to 2010.
That’s why people today think Eriksen, Dele, VVD, Aubameyang, Walker, Allison, Pogba, Wan Bissaka, Maddison etc are top footballers.

You think they’d be talked about in 2003?
You think people would be talking about Ndombele when the likes of Gerrard and Makelele were peak?
Or people would say VVD is the best defender in the world when the likes of Cannavaro, Ramos, Puyol and Thuram were about?

Schnider, Van der Vaart, Raul, Iniesta, Modric, Xavi, Nesta, Seedorf, Kahn, Robben, Kean, take your pick, they’d all WALK into Liverpool’s starting 11 with ease, and replace anyone there now.

Ederson is probably the most overrated keeper to me. He’s good with the ball at his feet but constantly takes odd angles and makes mistakes.

we outplayed them at Anfield last season, Sissoko has the chance to win it and butchered it, then Hugo and Toby hand them an injury time winner.

We gifted them a first minute penalty in European Cup Final. They were shit on the night, but we were so overawed by the occasion and fielding injured players, we couldn’t lay a glove on them.

We led them at Anfield back in October, they might have been on top but Son hit the woodwork (with an admittedly difficult chance) which would have put us 0-2 up early in 2nd half.

Should have won it yesterday with second half chances.

I’m sick of those fuckers. We’ve beaten them 1 in last 17, which is pathetic. Even when we were better than them for 4-5 seasons prior to last season, we still never beat them.

The condescending words of that gimp Klopp have really pissed me off.

Oh yeah and when we pulled it back to 1-2 at Wembley against them last season, we had a. Injury time penalty that should have awarded for a foul on Son, not given.
Preach brother preach.
Sick to the back teeth of this gas lighting that they are so far above. What’s happened to us as a fanbase? Yesterday everyone myself included, crossing various body parts not to get trollied by these cunts.
If the roles were reversed we’d only be discussing the throw in that was a bad call and VAR officials on their tea break while Robertson went about destroying shins and ankles.
You need luck but their level of jamminess is unheralded. The so called handball in the first minute of the CL final imagine if that was awarded to RM vs them, the city would be on fire. They spent a year denigrating Kane for a dive but Mane going over Aurier is ok, and us the cunts were actually slamming Serge instead of lighting our torches for that cheating prick Mane, that foul on Son in the final seconds is unforgivable. Cheating cunts, the match officials included.
We sing the songs but don’t take in the words WE ARE SUPER TOTTENHAM FROM THE LANE, start fucking believing. Like most of you I’ve invested a substantial part of my life and income into this club.
Stop bitching about ENIC and Levy they’ve set us up for the next century.
Poch down tools, I once worshipped the ground he walked on but he stopped believing so adios
Eriksen once my favourite but fuck him, he stopped playing for us. Farvel wanker

Yep - but they only bought the odd player here and there - we ‘won’ the transfer window with the Bale money; we spent (or promised to spend) 140m this summer - Liverpool plugged gaps with ‘better’ players.

the issue, as I suspect we’ll get into a circular argument about, is that there aren’t that many ‘better’ players that can be bought in for most positions at an acceptable price. (And this will now be the same for most clubs - can’t see Chelsea spending big on replacing their ageing players this window even though Frank’s said they will do). EPL standard is basically all internationals and so it’s a marginal improvement at best for 50-60m.

the problem we have is that we need to plug several gaps at once as players have grown old or left - and that is the fault of Poch or the scouts - can’t place it at Levy’s door - he’s always spent on players if asked (albeit Saha, Nelsen and Gallas!). A window of no movement is not Levy, but the manager and the high quality of the team in place.
Based on this logic - we may see a bit of movement this month, but that will depend on moving in Eriksen, Rose etcetera. As contracts expire, more movement come the summer, I expect.
Yeah I think we won't agree on this one. They easily outspent most of the league. Massive advantage. 1 of the biggest wage bills too. You need great coaches like fergie BUT a lot of investment on players too. We don't invest like that so it's not surprising we are a top 4 at best team. 1 league cup in 18 years under ENIC, you can keep blaming managers levy chooses but I think him & the owners are the main reason for not winning much.

Yeah I think we won't agree on this one. They easily outspent most of the league. Massive advantage. 1 of the biggest wage bills too. You need great coaches like fergie BUT a lot of investment on players too. We don't invest like that so it's not surprising we are a top 4 at best team. 1 league cup in 18 years under ENIC, you can keep blaming managers levy chooses but I think him & the owners are the main reason for not winning much.
:dierpochhug:

We 'lost' the transfer window by selling a world class one of a kind player who was winning games for Spurs single handedly and replacing him with a lucky dip of players for the future, misfits and shite....

Last edited:
We 'lost' the transfer window by selling a world class one of a kind player who was winning games for Spurs single handedly and replacing him with lucky dip of players for the future, misfits and shite....
Agreed - but do you remember the hyperbole at the time: ‘sold Elvis and bought the Beatles’. I was devastated we’d sold Bale but hopeful. The point being that you can sell your star player and move on (as Liverpool did; as Chelsea seem to have; as Leicester did; as Utd did with Ronaldo and Beckham).
It’s more important to replace with the most suitable players - and I will happily admit I was happy to be getting Soldado, Paulinho and that wonder-kid Lamela. See how that’s turned out? It’s not the spending, but the quality.
Those three were not a ‘lucky dip of shite’. (Well, didn’t think they were at the beginning (and may not have been had AVB or Poch had the skill to manage to the players, not the system).

Agreed - but do you remember the hyperbole at the time: ‘sold Elvis and bought the Beatles’. I was devastated we’d sold Bale but hopeful. The point being that you can sell your star player and move on (as Liverpool did; as Chelsea seem to have; as Leicester did; as Utd did with Ronaldo and Beckham).
It’s more important to replace with the most suitable players - and I will happily admit I was happy to be getting Soldado, Paulinho and that wonder-kid Lamela. See how that’s turned out? It’s not the spending, but the quality.
Those three were not a ‘lucky dip of shite’. (Well, didn’t think they were at the beginning (and may not have been had AVB or Poch had the skill to manage to the players, not the system).
Soldado wasn't bought with the Bale money though.....

Soldado wasn't bought with the Bale money though.....
Same summer? If he wasn’t, then it demonstrates even further that ENIC do invest money when asked, in order to build success in the pitch?

I might have made a total mistake here, but I remember him coming that summer, and the article I’ve just checked names him in the ‘magnificent seven’?

Back
Top Bottom