Champions League finalists Liverpool and Tottenham now worlds apart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The gap was created in the 2018 summer

No - if that was the case then we would have bridged in the gap in the summer of 2019 given that they brought no one in and we spent £130 million.

The actual gap is in the quality of recruitment - that’s been the case for nearly five years. Their scouting committee is well above ours at present.

We have only added one real first team quality talent in the time and that was Son in 2015. They in comparison bought Salah for £34, Mane for £35, Robertson for £8, Fabinho for £40 million.

No - if that was the case then we would have bridged in the gap in the summer of 2019 given that they brought no one in and we spent £130 million.

The actual gap is in the quality of recruitment - that’s been the case for nearly five years. Their scouting committee is well above ours at present.

We have only added one real first team quality talent in the time and that was Son in 2015. They in comparison bought Salah for £34, Mane for £35, Robertson for £8, Fabinho for £40 million.
Our recruitment under Poch was shambolic.

If Liverpool and Klopp play their cards right, they could be at the top for years to come

It’s a hollow statement because no team has been able to maintain such a high level scouting strategy.

Their cycle will be over in the next 2 -3 years - Mane, Firmino and Salah are all virtually the same age. The are at their peak now but will decline at the same time when they reach their 30s and they don’t have the resources to replace like for like.

This is what drove me so mad with our ‘next season’ passive mentality amongst our supporters with the elite team we had. These sides don’t come around too often and we had a manager basically waste it away

Then I put it to you that you don't understand the words within the context they're written. That's ok though, John.... No-one expects you not to be blinkered and superficial.

I'll save you the bother of replying...

JT; now, then and forever: "Spend more".
Yes Daniel

Again 2015 was great, Ali, Toby and Son.

Absolutely shocking since, and it’s not about money as those signings attest
Yes one of my few gripes with Poch but how much of that was his fault I don’t know. If you look back at my post above, Klopp spent significantly more but on fewer players but those players all made big impacts on their team. The same cannot be said for us. Quality over quantity every time.

Alisson is the best keeper in the league...
I think Ederson is personally because he doesn’t make flappy Bobby Mimms style errors a few times a year.
As Yorkshire Yid said, the competition is pretty shite.
The likes of De Gea, Lloris, Kepa and Allison aren’t fit to lace the boots of Buffon, Cassilas, Schmicael, Neuer etc at the top of their careers.

Football quality in general has waned since the halcyon days of the late 90s to 2010.
That’s why people today think Eriksen, Dele, VVD, Aubameyang, Walker, Allison, Pogba, Wan Bissaka, Maddison etc are top footballers.

You think they’d be talked about in 2003?
You think people would be talking about Ndombele when the likes of Gerrard and Makelele were peak?
Or people would say VVD is the best defender in the world when the likes of Cannavaro, Ramos, Puyol and Thuram were about?

Schnider, Van der Vaart, Raul, Iniesta, Modric, Xavi, Nesta, Seedorf, Kahn, Robben, Kean, take your pick, they’d all WALK into Liverpool’s starting 11 with ease, and replace anyone there now.

Norwich beat Man. City this season, it happens once in a while, but it doesn't mean that we were even close to the genuine elite teams in Europe last season in terms of football ability.. Not even talking about this season, as I said it will be very difficult for us to beat RB Leipzig over two legs, let alone when we face..
They’re in the knockout stages of the CL - they should be hard to beat. Saying it’s difficult to beat a team in the CL as a way if saying your team’s not great is a bit odd, tbh, as the whole competition is made up of the best teams on the continent.

some absolutely great teams have not even made it through group stages in the past- that’s the point.

They’re in the knockout stages of the CL - they should be hard to beat. Saying it’s difficult to beat a team in the CL as a way if saying your team’s not great is a bit odd, tbh, as the whole competition is made up of the best teams on the continent.
Well, the point was that people on here were saying that it will be easy to go through, which is indeed ridiculous - RB Leipzig are a very decent and well-coached side, but not even close to the genuine top teams in Europe.

I did not enjoy reading that article so didn't finish it.

It is very simple:
1. They made the right signings as and when needed without compromise on cost. All new players making immediate impact on the starting XI.

2. Season 2018/19 without any recruitment.

3. Season 2019/20: Poch making noises in the press to sign/overhaul. Levy wants to shut him and signs 3 players. We are half way to the season and those 3 ineffective. 2 seasons wasted, ie: going backward on the field, hence the article.
Apart from - probably Chelsea and a couple of mid-table overachievers - that article could have been about any other Prem team. Tbh, it could also have been about Liverpool and City. Big picture is that Liverpool are having a crazy season - no-one else is.

He’s actually not very good. If someone was stupid enough to pay 70M for Kepa, it doesn’t make him world class either.

He was better than Mingolet and that blond prick which isn’t a big task, and we didn’t need a keeper in 2018 so not sure how them signing Allison left us behind.
He spent most of the year making Lloris look composed.
Agree - take VVD out of their back line and you have De Gea style brain farts at Utd at the moment. It’s the sum of the parts, not the parts themselves.

Apart from - probably Chelsea and a couple of mid-table overachievers - that article could have been about any other Prem team. Tbh, it could also have been about Liverpool and City. Big picture is that Liverpool are having a crazy season - no-one else is.
I agree except it could be written about Chelsea who won the league only a couple of seasons ago. Also Liverpool had their full strength team yesterday but we were far from that.

"If you want the biggest and best train set down your road ,you have to go out and buy it,no one is going to give it to you" - jimmy Greaves said this about owning and being a successful a football club in the latter 90's.
And he is right, even more so nowadays
Very clear you need to spend heavily on the players to achieve big things. Strange that people still try to deny this. Well actually it's not as they are levy lovers.

I agree except it could be written about Chelsea who won the league only a couple of seasons ago. Also Liverpool had their full strength team yesterday but we were far from that.
I put Chelsea in as they’re overachieving a bit at the moment so wheel’s haven’t fallen off yet (will do, though, I’m sure - but I was also sure about Leicester a couple of years back!)

Back
Top Bottom