Champions League finalists Liverpool and Tottenham now worlds apart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't we beat the "best team in Europe" last season in the quarter-finals though? We're behind the elite, but we can beat the elite as well.
Norwich beat Man. City this season, it happens once in a while, but it doesn't mean that we were even close to the genuine elite teams in Europe last season in terms of football ability.. Not even talking about this season, as I said it will be very difficult for us to beat RB Leipzig over two legs, let alone when we face..

Dippers have a much bigger wage budget than we do, fair enough. They’re not at same levels of Manchesters or Chelsea in spending power though. They have bought wisely under Klopp though. Out scouting/recruitment has been terrible for a good 5 years now and we’ve had any number of flips in transfer market. Just as a matter of interest, when Pochettino was there, who was calling the shots in terms of the players that we were bringing in?

Liverpool clearly jumped a level when they signed Van Dijk in January 2018, prior to that we were better than them. We played them at Anfield later that season to that 2-2 thriller when Wanyama scored a rocket and Lamela shithoused his way to a penalty. We were pretty equal, maybe they were better than us by this point, but we even finished ahead of them in 17-18.

The summer of 2018 is when they jumped a level over us and really fixed all their weaknesses, and they have moved even further ahead as they have developed chemistry and gotten familiar with Klopp. They signed Alisson and Van Dijk when they needed a Keeper and CB. Keita has looked great when he’s been fit this season. We signed Aurier and (no one) when we needed a RB and DM. That’s the difference.

I did not enjoy reading that article so didn't finish it.

It is very simple:
1. They made the right signings as and when needed without compromise on cost. All new players making immediate impact on the starting XI.

2. Season 2018/19 without any recruitment.

3. Season 2019/20: Poch making noises in the press to sign/overhaul. Levy wants to shut him and signs 3 players. We are half way to the season and those 3 ineffective. 2 seasons wasted, ie: going backward on the field, hence the article.

Liverpool clearly jumped a level when they signed Van Dijk in January 2018

They sold Coutinho and bought Van Dijk. A bold, risky, not certain to succeed move.

And they they paid over the odds for a new goalkeeper after the UCL disaster. A bold, decisive move that certainly could have been mistaken for panicky.

They've gotten big, difficult decisions right. Good things will follow from that.

Our decisions haven't been as good.

Let’s just not mention alisson. That shit keeper they signed ...
He’s actually not very good. If someone was stupid enough to pay 70M for Kepa, it doesn’t make him world class either.

He was better than Mingolet and that blond prick which isn’t a big task, and we didn’t need a keeper in 2018 so not sure how them signing Allison left us behind.
He spent most of the year making Lloris look composed.

They sold Coutinho and bought Van Dijk. A bold, risky, not certain to succeed move.

And they they paid over the odds for a new goalkeeper after the UCL disaster. A bold, decisive move that certainly could have been mistaken for panicky.

They've gotten big, difficult decisions right. Good things will follow from that.

Our decisions haven't been as good.

I take from that that it's not ambition we lack; but our player identification that is poor.

If one is not convinced; look at United also... Spend way more money than us or Liverpool; made a VVD-style purchase in Maguire (+ AWB) and they're barely better off for it.

We spent big on our problem area this summer and not a blip.... In fact we are worse.

He’s actually not very good. If someone was stupid enough to pay 70M for Kepa, it doesn’t make him world class either.

He was better than Mingolet and that blond prick which isn’t a big task, and we didn’t need a keeper in 2018 so not sure how them signing Allison left us behind.

Come on Sammy you know that just ain't true, he made some daft mistakes at times yes but he was 100x better then what they had before. And overall was probably the best keeper in the league not that there's a lot of competition

On the subject of where they over took us it comes down to bad scouting and transfer strategy.

They identified they had a workman like midfield that needed some more steel so got Fabinho (he took time to settle yes but his presence made others play better cause they knew he wanted a spot). And they had a fantastic front 3 but just needed some depth and got Shaqiri (who won them a fair few points when called upon)

They had a shit defense so bought Van Dijk and a keeper they could trust to compose the defense. Then got lucky that Joe Gomez and TRA came through at the same time.

I hate fucking Liverpool fans but there scouting system and transfer strategy has been fantastic, whilst in the same time we seem unable to take risks and commit to getting young talent in. And let the squad go stale, and have flogged Kane to death let Eriksen walk all over us.

Levy and ENIC have some of the blame for that but I refuse to believe that Poch didn't have some hand in this also. To many rumours of him not wanting players offered to us and he refused to change the squad up no matter who was performing.

Alisson is the best keeper in the league...

I saw that headline this morning.

Simply painful and although things can and sometimes do change dramatically and very quickly, the contrast between us and Liverpool is as clear as the longer days that are now upon us.

As I said and there were many if not all that thought Pochettino was better than Klopp. Deary me.

Not it ain't mate it's a load of bollocks.

Then I put it to you that you don't understand the words within the context they're written. That's ok though, John.... No-one expects you not to be blinkered and superficial.

I'll save you the bother of replying...

JT; now, then and forever: "Spend more".

The big difference between Klopp’s Liverpool and Poch’s Spurs was that Klopp was given the money to buy players. Klopp identified the areas that needed improvement and he bought world class players to fill those positions. Read the link below, almost every player he has signed has become a hit. They probably have the most balanced team in world football. World class goalie, world class CB, two of the best full backs in the world, three midfields who are absolute workhorses, and a dynamic world class front three. Plus the fact that their players rarely seem to be injured. They literally haven’t put a foot wrong the last 2/3 seasons. If Liverpool and Klopp play their cards right, they could be at the top for years to come.

As for us, the 16/17 was our best season under Poch. We played some great football that season but two things happened at the end of it: we moved out of White Hart Lane at the worst possible time as we just competed an unbeaten season and we didn’t capitalize on the momentum we set ourselves by making some important signing. Walker left that summer and we swapped him out for Aurier. My feelings toward him are well documented and Dembele started to lose some of his powers. We undoubtedly missed a step the summer of 2017 whereas Klopp has brought Liverpool from strength to strength. For all the talk about Man City the last few years, Liverpool might just go unbeaten and set a new points record this season.

So in summary, Liverpool’s board backed Klopp and it’s paying dividends. Spurs board did not back Poch to the extent it needed to and when it eventually gave Poch the funding he needed, it was too little too late. I have every faith in Mourinho as the guy is a winner but if he can’t do it, then boy, that sucks.

Klopp’s Transfers
Poch’s Transfers

Back
Top Bottom