Norwich away - 1730KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate get Pochs dick out of your mouth. The way he coached has left so many problems and such a weak mentality of a team that it takes a bit to overcome. Poch was weak mentally and that’s made the majority of the players the same.

also Skipp isn’t any good. He’s winks but with no skill whatsoever.

Skipp will play for England. He's a level above Winks.

Last edited:
My thoughts on the game
We were shit first half against relegation fodder.
Jose switched it up at half time and we looked better in the second half. I genuinely thought we were going to nick it, even after the OG.
Aurier is bloody awful by and large, but the OG could have happened to anyone. So I can’t be too harsh about that.
In spite of my misgivings about Ndombele after he unilaterally withdrew from the Boxing Day festivities, he looked a cut above today & didn’t look gassed after his first run. The ability is unquestionable
But my God do we need protection for our defence! Literally nothing in midfield that resembles resistance in front of the back 3/4/5.
Shameful really that this has been allowed to develop and nothing has been done about it.
We will be a better team second half of the season rather than just in the second half of games, but there are genuine issues that need to be addressed as a matter of urgency because we are more soft bellied than Tanguy on Boxing Day.

Yeah, that's sort of what xG is though.

i.e. you would normally expected us to have buried those early easy chances and killed them off.
Yeah, i know what xG is and how it works, but it just provides context it doesn't have any other inherent benefit for me. Having a higher xG shouldn't make anyone feel better about being the worse of two teams, especially when it was last place Norwich.

I was at the game.
We can’t defend for shit, complete mess. Glimpses of Eriksen's former glory days.

Also that VAR decision going our way, was the most blatant yet. And I’m gutted for Norwich and embarrassed on our behalf that we needed a bs VAR decision to avoid being beaten by fukin Norwich.

Selective memory and bias aside, this was by far not the first time VAR has marginally ruled our way. But this decision was bad.

Last edited:
I was at the game.
We can’t defend for shit, complete mess. Glimpses of Eriksen's former glory days.

Also that VAR decision going our way, was the most blatant yet. And I’m gutted for Norwich and embarrassed on our behalf that we needed a bs VAR decision to avoid being beaten by fukin Norwich.

Selective memory and bias aside, this was by far not the first time VAR has marginally ruled our way. But this decision was bad.
I agree it was a terrible call, but we’ve had VAR marginally ruled against us. Cost us 3 points at Leicester. What’s your point?

I was at the game.

Why the sympathy for Norwich ?

I get it, we drew with a relegation bound side, but VAR got it right. If Son didn't have a stiffy in the run he made for the disallowed goal v Leicester, we would be 4th.

Swings and roundabouts mate.
Fook Norwich. I worry about our team and the defensively frailties.

I've just watched the goals again. I can see now why TA didn't sprint out to close down the scorer immediately, as there were two Norwich players to his right, if he rushes out to the eventual scorer he could have just played them clean through. It was a kind of VVD v Sissoko/Son at Anfield moment - unfortunately the Norwich player wasn't Sissoko. But it doesn't happen at all if Foyth wasn't such a fucking ditherer.

I don't give a fuck if Foyth's a silkier passer of the ball than Sanchez, this dithery shit happens too often, and there's something flimsy about him. Even when he made some important blocks/tackles today my heart was in my mouth as he just never looked like he was in control of the moment.

The second goal doesn't happen if Moura a few seconds earlier just makes a fucking simple pass out to Alli in acres of space - which would have set us on an attack - his energy is great but for the umpteenth time he fucks up a straightforward pass that could build something, and a few seconds later they are on the attack.

For their second, Aurier has to take a huge chunk of the blame. Sanchez has read the situation and got himself into he right place and makes the right challenge on his man, but Aurier just does not read the situation and leaves Puki all on his own through the centre. I get that he has one eye on their fella outside him, but that's a massive secondary danger to their CF being allowed to run through the centre in acres of space.

Sanchez has his faults, he lacks a bit of composure when he gets shoulder to shoulder with players and he's not exactly silky, but he's a vastly better option than Foyth.

It was a breath of fresh air to see us actually play some football through midfield today. Eriksen completed 84 passes, Ndombele 61. So much better than scant 40 odd that Sissoko and Dier average, even against shit teams at home. But I want to see Ndombele getting the ball from a 6/DM and advancing it from a bit further up, not doing so much of the water carrying for others.

I saw some people say Lo Celso didn't bring much, but he played two lovely through balls, one Alli fucked up and one he scored and was just offside - but it's exactly this composure and incisive type of passing we've been lacking for months. There was so much right about having Eriksen, Ndombele and Lo Celso out on the pitch, but that set up today was just a little bit too flimsy and light on busy cuntedness. It just needs a sight tweak back the other way, get a busy cunt in there to do the dirty graft and water carry for the likes of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Eriksen.

Sessegnon didn't contribute much tangible, but the kid needs time, the one thing he will bring if he develops on, is a combination of the good things Moura and Alli have - he has some of Moura's energy and some of Alli's ability to get into the box situations on the end of things but he is less erratic than Moura with the ball and makes more simple choices on the ball than Alli. He doesn't have either of their match experience and confidence yet, but if he can develop on, he'll be useful. Pace and composure together is something we lack up top.

Fuck knows what that format was in the first half, but it was a fucking mess, I enjoyed that second half more than any other under Mourinho so far. Norwich are a lively side who can play some decent football but we absolutely dominated them - turned a 52/48 negative first half possession turned into a 71-29 second half.

Unfortunately too much bumbling by the likes Alli and Moura (although both put in a lot of effort) really cost us today, after a lot of decent approach work and some good situations.

Their X/G for the game was 0.27 ours was 1.90.

Little tweak to that line up, a decent busy cunt in there to anchor it and provide the insurance, and we could start to look like a proper football team again.

Couple of thoughts :

Ndombele played 97 minutes of generally good progressive football, although obviously better in second half. If he can perform like this on s consistent basis we have one half of the CM partnership solved for s CM2.

But the other half of the CM2 has to be s DM as he's poor atm defensively - best option atm is Dier or Winks possibly, and with more experience Skipp.

Lo Celso was let go on loan with s low buyout clause after one season as a DM, and we now know he's just not there defensively, so unless we change to a CM3 he's either s backup to Ndombele or a creative AM. ( and even for that needs to improve his tracking back. Eriksen, thought by many to be playing without much committment, outshone him and puts into perspective that he needs to improve his output. Early days as he's hardly played so no need to comment further.

Foyth has only played 30 something professional games - really a victim of Pochs. In-house training development. Really should have been loaned out ,,2 years ago to get playing time, but at age 21 it's a bit late for that probably (unless we decide we have enough cover to loan him for 2nd half of this sesson. Wild thoughts that bringing CCV back from loan gives us some CB cover to allow us to do that ?

Aurier proved once again that he seems to lack the footballing intelligence to avoid mistakes. What more needs saying except "please close the door as you leave"

The Alderweield/Vertonghen CB partnership of a couple of years ago now looks slow and ponderous. Needs replacements in , even with Sanchez in place.

Up front both Kane and Dele looked know looked knackered. Sons red card looks very badly timed. Question is whether and when we can rest one or both. And whether Lamela or Moura offer enough to replace one of them for a game.

Yeah, i know what xG is and how it works, but it just provides context it doesn't have any other inherent benefit for me. Having a higher xG shouldn't make anyone feel better about being the worse of two teams, especially when it was last place Norwich.

The context is that the better team doesn't always win. Like it or not - luck still plays a huge part in football.

xG gives an insight into the "story of the game" which is inevitably lost / forgotten and all that remains is the scoreline. It also gives an insight into form, because if xG remains consistent then, in theory, luck should balance out.

Last edited:
Well, he doesn't get picked by this, or the previous manager, so that's my first clue. The second is that he cant get a game for England U21 either and finally, when hes come on as a sub his performances have been underwhelming.
Skipp gets a pass because he hasn’t scored 20 own goals and he isn’t Sissoko. I’m not sure what he does, but BC informs me he’s a ‘busy cunt’ which tells me he doesn’t know either.

I've just watched the goals again. I can see now why TA didn't sprint out to close down the scorer immediately, as there were two Norwich players to his right, if he rushes out to the eventual scorer he could have just played them clean through. It was a kind of VVD v Sissoko/Son at Anfield moment - unfortunately the Norwich player wasn't Sissoko. But it doesn't happen at all if Foyth wasn't such a fucking ditherer.

I don't give a fuck if Foyth's a silkier passer of the ball than Sanchez, this dithery shit happens too often, and there's something flimsy about him. Even when he made some important blocks/tackles today my heart was in my mouth as he just never looked like he was in control of the moment.

The second goal doesn't happen if Moura a few seconds earlier just makes a fucking simple pass out to Alli in acres of space - which would have set us on an attack - his energy is great but for the umpteenth time he fucks up a straightforward pass that could build something, and a few seconds later they are on the attack.

For their second, Aurier has to take a huge chunk of the blame. Sanchez has read the situation and got himself into he right place and makes the right challenge on his man, but Aurier just does not read the situation and leaves Puki all on his own through the centre. I get that he has one eye on their fella outside him, but that's a massive secondary danger to their CF being allowed to run through the centre in acres of space.

Sanchez has his faults, he lacks a bit of composure when he gets shoulder to shoulder with players and he's not exactly silky, but he's a vastly better option than Foyth.

It was a breath of fresh air to see us actually play some football through midfield today. Eriksen completed 84 passes, Ndombele 61. So much better than scant 40 odd that Sissoko and Dier average, even against shit teams at home. But I want to see Ndombele getting the ball from a 6/DM and advancing it from a bit further up, not doing so much of the water carrying for others.

I saw some people say Lo Celso didn't bring much, but he played two lovely through balls, one Alli fucked up and one he scored and was just offside - but it's exactly this composure and incisive type of passing we've been lacking for months. There was so much right about having Eriksen, Ndombele and Lo Celso out on the pitch, but that set up today was just a little bit too flimsy and light on busy cuntedness. It just needs a sight tweak back the other way, get a busy cunt in there to do the dirty graft and water carry for the likes of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Eriksen.

Sessegnon didn't contribute much tangible, but the kid needs time, the one thing he will bring if he develops on, is a combination of the good things Moura and Alli have - he has some of Moura's energy and some of Alli's ability to get into the box situations on the end of things but he is less erratic than Moura with the ball and makes more simple choices on the ball than Alli. He doesn't have either of their match experience and confidence yet, but if he can develop on, he'll be useful. Pace and composure together is something we lack up top.

Fuck knows what that format was in the first half, but it was a fucking mess, I enjoyed that second half more than any other under Mourinho so far. Norwich are a lively side who can play some decent football but we absolutely dominated them - turned a 52/48 negative first half possession turned into a 71-29 second half.

Unfortunately too much bumbling by the likes Alli and Moura (although both put in a lot of effort) really cost us today, after a lot of decent approach work and some good situations.

Their X/G for the game was 0.27 ours was 1.90.

Little tweak to that line up, a decent busy cunt in there to anchor it and provide the insurance, and we could start to look like a proper football team again.

I hope Sissoko has had a bollocking for that performance

I actually think that was one of our better performances this season. Sure we've thrashed a few teams 4-0 and 5-0, but this was one of the first times we were able to wrestle control of a game and dominate for extended periods in a tough environment.

We were just undone by an individual error and a comedy own goal.
Also Kane and Alli missed some good chances which didnt help at all.

Back
Top Bottom