Norwich away - 1730KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

just on this, Lo Celso played mostly as an 8 in a cm3 at PSG in 17/18 and that was really his best position, he was shoved into playing as a 6 because of PSG’s injury crisis - and he did an OK job. e also plays as an 8/Cm for Argentina.

He isn’t a DM at all, but I think I’d trust him more in a Cm2 than I would normally Eriksen for example. (Although Eriksen was excellent yesterday). But you’d want a proper 6 in there with him.

We keep coming back to the same issue. We have two or three potential top level 8’s who would be much better played in CM3’s which would make the job of the central 6/dm so much easier and simplified, but we have had two managers now that keep trying to shoehorn I’ll-equipped players into even more demanding double pivots - asking players that aren’t great at football (Sissoko, Dier) to transition the ball and/or players that are good/better at transitioning the ball (Ndomble, Winks, Eriksen) to be DM’s or hybrid double pivots.

If we played a 433, it would ask less of Dier or even Skipp, and get the best out of players like Ndomble, Lo Celso, Winks, Eriksen.

I think we can get by with. CM2 without a DM - but only if both of the CM2 are comfortable in both attack and defence, think Mason/Bentaleb in Poch first season as being an obvious example.

But still interesting that PSG were happy to loan out after one season with a low buy out clause.

I agree that we’re not playing particularly well but yes we’re getting points and creating plenty of chances

We could have scored at least five yesterday and Harry and especially Dele were very wasteful in front of goal but the defence is a concern and the sooner we ship Serge out the better!!

Get sissoko in!

Just another typical Spurs performance where we didn’t take our early chances and alllowed Norwich to be in a game that should’ve been killed off very early.

No doubt our D is an issue but Dele and Kane should both be taking those early chances.

But we've just handed out a massive contract to one of them that basically guarantees him playing time regardless.

Dav is our best defender by some distance, hasn't done much wrong, but when he doesn't it's noticable. Jan is finished, Foyth may need a run, but is unlikely to get it. Tanganga could be the answer, but it's truly unlikely we'll ever find out.
Not only is he our best defender by a mile let's try some context. He came into the game cold into a shit show and was rested because he has been flogged this season playing every minute of nearly all the games trying to put out fires set by the four arsonists around him. We cant get him a fit fast partner soon enough.

just on this, Lo Celso played mostly as an 8 in a cm3 at PSG in 17/18 and that was really his best position, he was shoved into playing as a 6 because of PSG’s injury crisis - and he did an OK job. e also plays as an 8/Cm for Argentina.

He isn’t a DM at all, but I think I’d trust him more in a Cm2 than I would normally Eriksen for example. (Although Eriksen was excellent yesterday). But you’d want a proper 6 in there with him.

We keep coming back to the same issue. We have two or three potential top level 8’s who would be much better played in CM3’s which would make the job of the central 6/dm so much easier and simplified, but we have had two managers now that keep trying to shoehorn I’ll-equipped players into even more demanding double pivots - asking players that aren’t great at football (Sissoko, Dier) to transition the ball and/or players that are good/better at transitioning the ball (Ndomble, Winks, Eriksen) to be DM’s or hybrid double pivots.

If we played a 433, it would ask less of Dier or even Skipp, and get the best out of players like Ndomble, Lo Celso, Winks, Eriksen.

Who would we sacrifice (remove) in your ideal formation with a CM3?

I think his debut was more influenced by a shite team.performance rather than his own individual inadequacies today..confidence and a little experience and as someonelse pointed out a bit of man mangement and he'll take games apart imho.

"Debut performance"?

That's his 3rd or 4th start.

I think we can get by with. CM2 without a DM - but only if both of the CM2 are comfortable in both attack and defence, think Mason/Bentaleb in Poch first season as being an obvious example.

But still interesting that PSG were happy to loan out after one season with a low buy out clause.

But that’s the point isn’t it, we don’t have two CM’s that are both dynamic, good defensively, and good at receiving and passing/moving the ball under pressure do we. If we are going to play Ndombele in a CM2, you really want a right grafter in there with him, like we did with Wanyama and Dembele.

Aurier was shite throughout for me

Hope we get rid

Accident waiting to happen

Must affect the rest of the defence

So were Davies and trips at times but Toby and Jan held things together but these days they can't do that. I don't have much confidence in them anymore either.

You're not worth it mate. And am not offended at all...merely.pointing out the ludicrous comment

What is ludicrous about it? I said his biggest weakness is that he's limited in terms of mobility/pace and he relies on others to provide him with good service. What is his biggest weakness then? Every player including Messi and Ronaldo have a weakness and Kane is no exception. I'm merely pointing out a truth which is why I believe many Kane fans are hell bent to deny it.

Our scouting is non existent to be honest, we just buy 10 reasonably priced players and hope one or two work out, and the whole youth system hype is horse shit too.....Jose will attract quality, he won’t fuck around with 3 year projects on 19 year old players.

I have my reservations about our scouting but that's nonsense.

Ndombele 60m
GLC 50m-ish
Sissoko 30m
Sanchez 40m
Aurier 24m
Son 22m
Lucas 24m

Yesterday was the day we could/should have finally trialled GLC / Dier / Ndombele.... Be that in a 433 or a 352.

To think we'd have been better off with Sess or CE instead (delete as prefered) for an away game was a poor decision.... I can't fathom to thinking behind a extreme polar swing; going from a conservative, 4231 with 2 workers to a 523 featuring 7 predominantly attack-minded players.

I the same way that playing shit and winning (like we did for much of 17/18 and the first half of last season and some of this) can mask an underlying problem - that surfaces sooner or later - as it has the last 12 months, sometimes you can see signs of something decent even when you don’t win.

That was the first time we’d had Ndomble, Lo Celso, Eriksen, Sessegnon starting a PL game this season. And we started off in a fucking confusing shape as well, but that second half was one of the better halves of football we’ve played this season in as much as we’ve actually dominated a team through midfield, by keeping, passing and creating chances and preventing them (Norwich didn’t have a single shot in the second half).

It’s definitely to early to suck each other off yet, and that balance still wasn’t quite right, we desperately need a proper 6 in there and a LB, but it was a refreshing change to see us play football again, and if we can keep having a 5-1 xg ratio and not allowing teams so many chances, we could start to look like a contender again, instead of the disjointed cac footed also ran we’ve looked like for months.

The balance was blatantly off.... See my post above.

The idea that this lineup wouldn't have got torn to shreds by a better team is ludicrous.... Thus a waste of an 'easy' fixture from a learning perspective.

2 points thrown away too.

From the start of the game in the premier league !..but in hindsight and memory lapse i could be wrong.
I cant recall typing 'performance' around sess other than with shite team preceeding .

Ignore "performance" - clumsy paraphrasing on my part but insignificant to my contradiction either way.

He's started vs Brighton and others.... No biggy.

Can't keep making excuses week in and out of our mickey mouse defence. Levy has to put the money up in January and no we don't need a f *cking world class defender. We need a Scott Parker like signing. I dnt give a sh*t if he did 360 turns he could defend and hold midfield. We need to cut our losses now with rose, Eriksen and serge.

I'm honestly questioning whether I'm going to see spurs win a trophy in the next 10 years or ever again in my life time. The stadium was a masive investment for the future, but I just can't see how we move forward with levy.

Back
Top Bottom