Norwich away - 1730KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm honestly questioning whether I'm going to see spurs win a trophy in the next 10 years or ever again in my life time. The stadium was a masive investment for the future, but I just can't see how we move forward with levy.
We might very well win a domestic cup under José, but the league or CL will be very very difficult.

Yesterday was the day we could/should have finally trialled GLC / Dier / Ndombele.... Be that in a 433 or a 352.

To think we'd have been better off with Sess or CE instead (delete as prefered) for an away game was a poor decision.... I can't fathom to thinking behind a extreme polar swing; going from a conservative, 4231 with 2 workers to a 523 featuring 7 predominantly attack-minded players.

I don’t disagree, I’ve said the same, the balance wasn’t right, but we still managed to limit them to less chances/quality chances than in previous "2 worker" formats - that was the lowest x/g anyone has had against us since Mourinho took over and the lowest shots in a game against us all season. We got punished for a mistake and scored a goal for them, that's pretty rare.

They are the bottom side, but they've actually played pretty well in many games and not got a result - a couple of days ago they outplayed Wolves and - the team that outplayed us with our "2 workers".

I would have liked to see Alli rested for this one - he's had the most football of the bunch (Sessegnon, Nd, GLC, Eriksen) and Skipp/Dier played in a 433. But we've played much worse than that and won this season.

And personally I welcomed seeing us getting back to playing football, not whacking the ball over our non existent midfield. Which I don't think as even as "worker" as it should be anyway.

The second goal doesn't happen if Moura a few seconds earlier just makes a fucking simple pass out to Alli in acres of space - which would have set us on an attack - his energy is great but for the umpteenth time he fucks up a straightforward pass that could build something, and a few seconds later they are on the attack.

Bingo

I don’t disagree, I’ve said the same, the balance wasn’t right, but we still managed to limit them to less chances/quality chances than in previous "2 worker" formats - that was the lowest x/g anyone has had against us since Mourinho took over and the lowest shots in a game against us all season. We got punished for a mistake and scored a goal for them, that's pretty rare.

They are the bottom side, but they've actually played pretty well in many games and not got a result - a couple of days ago they outplayed Wolves and - the team that outplayed us with our "2 workers".

I would have liked to see Alli rested for this one - he's had the most football of the bunch (Sessegnon, Nd, GLC, Eriksen) and Skipp/Dier played in a 433. But we've played much worse than that and won this season.

And personally I welcomed seeing us getting back to playing football, not whacking the ball over our non existent midfield. Which I don't think as even as "worker" as it should be anyway.

"Worker"..... You know the futile discussion I'm trying to avoid having with you. : o/

We're generally in agreement as you say, but my original point was fair one.... Merely putting TN & GLC in the mix may be part of the answer but, that alone, is the solution to nothing.

Naive from Jose imo.... And surreal to see a manager with his reputation put out a team so lop-sidely balanced in terms of attacking personnel.

3 points aside, like I say we could have learned something today.... Sadly we came away with neither.

Resting Dav rather than Jan was silly too.

I'm honestly questioning whether I'm going to see spurs win a trophy in the next 10 years or ever again in my life time. The stadium was a masive investment for the future, but I just can't see how we move forward with levy.
Just 2 signings away from going on a run like Liverpool.
Hope everyone remembers how shite they were before making their signing of the decade - VVD.
Our attack is fine similarly, just need some inspiring quality in defence/DM

There’s just 250 odd million there and we still await most of that to still work out, like I say our scouting is non existent....

LOL.... Banter, surely....

The part I underlined and disagreed with:

"we just buy 10 reasonably priced players and hope one or two work out"

You just made that up.... The list i posted is the core of our recent activity (transfer record broken on a number of occasions) and not a load of cheap punts.

Last edited:
Hope everyone remembers how shite they were before making their signing of the decade - VVD.
We are sadly a lot more than 2 signings away mate tbh. Serious work needed in the transfer market and more difficult than that seems to be how the fuck we get rid of 8 of our underperforming or physically fucked players who add nothing.

But he’s made a start by appointing José imv

Two signings do not make a team.

Klopp lucked out with Allison and VVD. TAA and Roberton mature at the same time into worldie wing backs. Firmino, Salah and Mane chip in with 50 goals a season (Origi waiting in the wings)

Henderson becomes a captain. Strength in depth with Oxlade, Lallana, Shaquiri, Fabinho, Keita etc in midfield. Even OAP Milner turns it on when required.

All the stars have aligned for Klopp.

Two signings for us will not transform this team. There are major structural/personnel/tactical/motivational problems

LOL.... Banter, surely....

The part I underlined and disagreed with:

"we just buy 10 reasonably priced players and hope one or two work out"

You just made that up.... The list i posted is the core of our recent activity (transfer record broken on a number of occasions) and not a load of cheap punts.
Sure, you hand picked the best of them and I still say most of them have to still bare fruit.
Yes we broke “our” transfer record twice in that list, but we broke it buying a CH at 40m when the CH market was/is 80+m, and as for 65m on N’Dombele as a CM he has still got massive potential and could well become a dominant force for us (as long as he decides he wants to play that is) but again it’s the modest side of the market for that position, go out and buy a proven WC midfielder and you’d be lucky to have 65m change from 200m....

So as it stands he’s still a punt that we hope works out, as is Lo Celso, Sanchez, Lucas etc etc etc, Son has been the only one on that list that has become a regular quality player.

Liverpool have shown the best transfer business in the league in recent years and that’s why they are now back to back CL & EPL champions, well scouted players complimented by big transfer fees in key positions.

Sure, you hand picked the best of them and I still say most of them have to still bare fruit.
Yes we broke “our” transfer record twice in that list, but we broke it buying a CH at 40m when the CH market was/is 80+m, and as for 65m on N’Dombele as a CM he has still got massive potential and could well become a dominant force for us (as long as he decides he wants to play that is) but again it’s the modest side of the market for that position, go out and buy a proven WC midfielder and you’d be lucky to have 65m change from 200m....

So as it stands he’s still a punt that we hope works out, as is Lo Celso, Sanchez, Lucas etc etc etc, Son has been the only one on that list that has become a regular quality player.

Liverpool have shown the best transfer business in the league in recent years and that’s why they are now back to back CL & EPL champions, well scouted players complimented by big transfer fees in key positions.

For a 3rd time I remind you of the actual comment I disagreed with....

I've cherry picked nothing; they're simply the plentiful examples that disprove said comment.

As capable of good “moments” as he is, I’d probably, ultimately, convert him into cash and exchanged him for a player who can move and play football at the same time.

In the mean time I guess he plays as one of the lateral forwards, or as one of the 8’s, or sits on the bench. Or he becomes a kind of back up false 9 for Kane?
Hasn’t he just scored 4 in 8 or so? Can we then forgive the downsides?

Two signings do not make a team.

Klopp lucked out with Allison and VVD. TAA and Roberton mature at the same time into worldie wing backs. Firmino, Salah and Mane chip in with 50 goals a season (Origi waiting in the wings)

Henderson becomes a captain. Strength in depth with Oxlade, Lallana, Shaquiri, Fabinho, Keita etc in midfield. Even OAP Milner turns it on when required.

All the stars have aligned for Klopp.

Two signings for us will not transform this team. There are major structural/personnel/tactical/motivational problems
but two signings effectively turned a team that finished that scraped 4th into european cup winners. hell, Van Dijk for half a season turned them into finalists. on a massive 700k net

but two signings effectively turned a team that finished that scraped 4th into european cup winners. hell, Van Dijk for half a season turned them into finalists. on a massive 700k net

It just didn't - for all the reasons I outlined in my reply. A lot more than 2 new signings caused their success.

You may as well say it was down to Shaquiri being signed or Oxlade returning from injury.

Hear you... vvd and Alison ... but that was a wad

Second half I would agree first half was a joke however we created nothing and was lucky not to be 2-0 down.

Second half team and formation is how we should approach the rest of the season just swap Ali for Lo Celso at CAM, a new RB and a proper DM next to Ndombele for the outgoing Eriksen
I'm afraid we are going to have to face the fact that we will be without a DM or RB until next season. Watching all the newspapers, gossip columns and all other information I can glean, we'll be doing the usual in January. Watching other teams pick off the potential talent whilst Levy puts a new set of moth balls in his wallet.

Back
Top Bottom