Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Risky on Erik's part, but IMO Rodri went looking for it and initiates first contact between the two; making it contentious enough for it to be deemed not "clear and obvious" enough for VAR to intervene.... On a moral level at least, absolutely the right outcome too.
i think the initial contact is nothing more than the standard shoulder to shoulder you get from any set piece, but as soon as Lamela feels/sees rodri his arm goes around his neck. Put it this way - did rodri foul lamela? if you think he did then fair enough, if he didn't then you have to look at lamelas actions separately - were his actions a foul? yes imo.

Agreed he went looking for it,but if we were on the receiving end of that we would be screaming blue murder.Well i would anyway :)

Me too probably... Fans will be fans innit. :)

I think VAR should at least allow the more rational fan to get over things a bit quicker when they don't go their way.

Fingers crossed the proverbial 'bad day for the ref' should be eradicated to some degree even if the occasional questionable outcome will inevitably remain.

Last edited:
i think the initial contact is nothing more than the standard shoulder to shoulder you get from any set piece, but as soon as Lamela feels/sees rodri his arm goes around his neck. Put it this way - did rodri foul lamela? if you think he did then fair enough, if he didn't then you have to look at lamelas actions separately - were his actions a foul? yes imo.

IF you choose to entertain the notion that Rodri subsequently 'layed down' rather than got dragged down, all that's left is the usual bit of pen box tussling which get's overlooked at corners throughout most games every week.

It woulda been a harsh pen IMO.

Way too many pundits jumping on that incident as a penalty. Rodri isn't dragged down, he collapsed to the ground intentionally. Glad it wasn't given as that kind of behaviour shouldn't be rewarded.
He has every right to go down, I would expect our players to do exactly the same thing. But 100% agree it wasn't a pen, I'd say the same thing if the situation was reversed. (Not if I was at the game I wouldn't BTW, I'd be screaming for a pen).

Ref AND VAR disagree; so on that basis alone, 100% is a wild assertion.
VAR has to call the refs decision as a clear and obvious error-Rodri was looking for it but Lamela had his arm round the guys neck and was extremely clumsy-if that was a spurs player I would be livid if it was waved away.

IF you choose to entertain the notion that Rodri subsequently 'layed down' rather than got dragged down, all that's left is the usual bit of pen box tussling which get's overlooked at corners throughout most games every week.

It woulda been a harsh pen IMO.
it does, but supposedly they were clamping down on that. we saw a spate of penalties given (last season?) for holding from corners, refs having been given a clear directive on the issue, now it seems to have reverted back to being ok.

it just adds to the inconsistency -head lock someone anywhere else on the pitch and its a foul.

i'd be fuming if it was the other way around.

VAR has to call the refs decision as a clear and obvious error-Rodri was looking for it but Lamela had his arm round the guys neck and was extremely clumsy-if that was a spurs player I would be livid if it was waved away.

...You're kinda underlining my point.

'Seen them given' is far from "100%"....

it does, but supposedly they were clamping down on that. we saw a spate of penalties given (last season?) for holding from corners, refs having been given a clear directive on the issue, now it seems to have reverted back to being ok. It just adds to the inconsistency -

We all know how these clamp-downs usually pan (or should that be 'fade') out.

Successful deception was meant to attract a retrospective ban too... Yet how many did Salah get last year?

Devils advocate asks, whether you would have retrospectively banned Rodri if the pen was given... :allitongue:

head lock someone anywhere else on the pitch and its a foul.

Fair point that.

i'd be fuming if it was the other way around.

Fair enough; me too... Seen them not awarded to us too tho'... So we're back to "clear and obvious".

Do the laws still need refining....? Sure, but I suspect we'll never reach the utopia where they don't.

Im not-I have an opinion on it and IMO its 100% a penalty-the ref missed it, he didn't see it and not give it again IMO

But you yourelf just said Rodri went looking for it.... Something that is punishable in it's own right.

Ergo not black and white or 100% (as you prefer to call it).

We all know how these clamp-downs usually pan (or should that be 'fade') out.

Successful deception was meant to attract a retrospective ban too... Yet how many did Salah get last year?

Devils advocate asks, whether you would have retrospectively banned Rodri if the pen was given... :allitongue:

Fair point that.

Fair enough; me too... Seen them not awarded to us too tho'... So we're back to "clear and obvious".

Do the laws still need refining....? Sure, but I suspect we'll never reach the utopia where they don't.
diving is a whole other can of worms. i guess the problem is, a modicum of contact (salah is quite good at gaining that) gives the diver some sort of plausible deniability. We all know its bollocks but it cannot be proven that the contact was not sufficient. Unless there is literally no contact, players will go unpunished.

am i the only person that thinks it was a penalty? Watch lamela put his arm round rodris neck as soon as he makes his run. fairly obvious foul imo.
For me if they called it a pen they wouldn't have overturned it as it wouldn't be a clear and obvious error, in the same way that I think they wouldn't have overturned Sissoko's handball in the CL final if that wasn't called.

diving is a whole other can of worms. i guess the problem is, a modicum of contact (salah is quite good at gaining that) gives the diver some sort of plausible deniability. We all know its bollocks but it cannot be proven that the contact was not sufficient. Unless there is literally no contact, players will go unpunished.

Aye, the game is littered with this shit...

More bullshit:

Ref catches you diving = yellow.
Get away with it = retrospective red.

:wall:

For me if they called it a pen they wouldn't have overturned it as it wouldn't be a clear and obvious error, in the same way that I think they wouldn't have overturned Sissoko's handball in the CL final if that wasn't called.

Should have been reviewed tho'.

VAR or not, the Sissoko thing is not a pen in the EPL this year tho'.

Back
Top Bottom