Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
VAR can be solved easily... Has there been a clear and obvious error? If yes overturn, if no then refs original decision should stand.

If it's still open to debate and not 100 percent conclusive, the refs results stands.

The problem is that its trying to be used in a way that is impossible - it's trying to catch anything and everything that occurs on the pitch to see if a decision can be overturned.... That is wrong.

If it's used as an extra pair of eyes to make sure that the ref hasn't made a howler then it's fine......

Simple rules

If you need a theoretical line to decide whether someone is offside then it's not clear and obvious,....... Clear and obvious is offside to the naked eye.

If a penalty is not given on the field and VAR have to make a decision on the minutest of contacts then the refs original decision should stand as its not clear and obvious.

If the ref has missed a blatant punch, headbutt or other clear red card offence then it should be used.

Clear and Obvious!
This is such a good post, makes things clear and simple ........it will never catch on ;)

Have you ever watched a woman try to read a map?
My OH can't even read Google Maps and that gives you step by step instructions
I'd call you sexist pigs, but my navigational skills leave a lot to be desired,TBH :oops:
However our weakness led to a fortuitous meeting in Barcelona last year. We took a wrong turning to get to the cable car and because of that, we met Daniel Levy, so yah boo sucks!

was there not some suggestion that it could be used like hawkeye in tennis and that teams could have a set number of VAR requests pergame/half and once used up then its left to the referees discretion?
1 per half, maybe?
it would be a much better approach in my opinion to do something like that. wouldn't slow down the game either too much in comparison to VAR.

My only issue with VAR is when the ref takes too long to make a decision.

You should be able to make a decision quickly. If you have to watch it more than 4-5 times from different angles, then it isn't "clear and obvious" and shouldn't be overturned. Even at the risk of getting it wrong. Let the ref watch a few times from a few different angles, but the whole thing shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, including the jog over to the tele.

or...

Put a timer on the television, once the ref gets there, he/she has 15 seconds to watch the replay, at which point the tele shuts off automatically. If it was clear and obvious, he/she shouldn't have to watch any more clips. If not, it stands.

25 frames per second is not enough for close call offsides. If the attacking player makes a run at 20km/h then 1 frame equals around 22cm. Yet offside decisions are being given on millimeters.

I'd call you sexist pigs, but my navigational skills leave a lot to be desired,TBH :oops:
However our weakness led to a fortuitous meeting in Barcelona last year. We took a wrong turning to get to the cable car and because of that, we met Daniel Levy, so yah boo sucks!
Blimey! Where was the cable car, Switzerland?

We're obviously stuck with it now, but I just wish that Sky would get rid of the joyless smug former refs who are brought in for their opinion at every VAR call, but will confirm that it was the correct decision because a player’s nose (or Luiz's perm or something) was clearly 1mm offside and there's no such thing as 'only just offside', blah, blah, blah.

They don't need to do it for every VAR decision FFS, because they will always just say 'spot on, good decision' or some such drivel.

Last edited:
25 frames per second is not enough for close call offsides. If the attacking player makes a run at 20km/h then 1 frame equals around 22cm. Yet offside decisions are being given on millimeters.
Agree - and the same applies to deciding the precise moment the ball is kicked. A fraction of a second either way can make all the difference. A non-human system, like tennis's 'Hawkeye' is the only fair way of doing it, to ensure there is no bias. Then if it's inaccurate, it's potentially wrong for both teams.
I think this maybe a while off though.

My only issue with VAR is when the ref takes too long to make a decision.

You should be able to make a decision quickly. If you have to watch it more than 4-5 times from different angles, then it isn't "clear and obvious" and shouldn't be overturned. Even at the risk of getting it wrong. Let the ref watch a few times from a few different angles, but the whole thing shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, including the jog over to the tele.

or...

Put a timer on the television, once the ref gets there, he/she has 15 seconds to watch the replay, at which point the tele shuts off automatically. If it was clear and obvious, he/she shouldn't have to watch any more clips. If not, it stands.
Good idea.
My only improvement on that concept would be as follows:
If the referee hasn't made a decision within 15 seconds he/she is electrocuted - not killed, just maimed - and a new ref is brought on. The tension and anticipation should help alleviate any boredom.

It is annoying to have goals ruled out for minuscule offside but as long as those standards apply to everyone, it’s fine. You will have some goals chalked off harshly but you will also have some scored against you ruled out harshly too.

We just have to get used to it, it certainly will apply standards more evenly than before. We are already seeing encroachment on penalties stop happening and that was something that happened on every single penalty in the history of football before VAR.

There is always going to be debate over what constitutes a clear and obvious error but the fact that the referee now has the capacity to review a decision can only be a good thing. There’s no going back.

Its not VAR per se it’s the misuse of it being used as a tool to check whether every single goal is legit or not, despite ones with zero controversy around them.

If there is no clear and obvious error, they should even be looking at it, so no needn’t to be in the refs ear after every goal.

Also how fucking long does it need for 6-7 pro refs to look at a fucking line and see if someone is in front or behind it???
We can all see it at him in seconds.....they say it’s a black n white rule now, so what about the discussion about?
Is he off or on. If it takes longer than 5 seconds to see, then benefit of doubt should be given to the goal scorer.

Our handball the other day......what the fuck? No VAR....why?

Oh and bring in all female refs and linos......ten times better.

So as it stands, VAR can fuck off

Back
Top Bottom