Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
It needs some refining but in general it’s good to get correct decisions I suppose

I don’t know where it leaves linesmen anymore though

"Up shit creek without a paddle" comes to mind. Last night's game was a perfect example of line officials scared to make a decision regarding offside and keeping their flags down, relying on VAR to sort out the ensuing mess.
The technology is fine but it is the manner in which it is being implemented and allowed to cause unnecessary disruption to the flow of the game. It is not a panacea for all ills but if used correctly it can be of benefit. That will take time but for the moment referees seem to be using it as a crutch rather than an aid. Should that be allowed to continue then it will destroy this beautiful game.

I'd prefer the Geordie big brother guy
I'd prefer the voice of Adolf Hitler. Then a cheesewire shoots across the pitch at neck height, so he'd better stop running or get decapitated. What's German for offside?

Too late, I googled it - Abseits Schweinhund.

Sorry for flipping my lid, I’m left wing, but I just hate it when people tell me what I ‘can’ or ‘should’ be saying

No problem. If you knew me you’d know that I’m anything but politically correct. Or a vegetable for that matter although at my age I’m probably getting there.

Oh and I also call them linesmen, even the linesmanwoman we had against Villa. :avbcringe:

I'd like to get hold of VAR, coat it with Ebola-infected broken glass and ram it up the arse of whoever invented the fucking thing. And everyone who thinks it's a good idea.

We're obviously stuck with it now, but I just wish that Sky would get rid of the joyless smug former refs who are brought in for their opinion at every VAR call, but will confirm that it was the correct decision because a player’s nose (or Luiz's perm or something) was clearly 1mm offside and there's no such thing as 'only just offside', blah, blah, blah.

They don't need to do it for every VAR decision FFS, because they will always just say 'spot on, good decision' or some such drivel.

This is what they do in American Football, some competition commitee member or former rules whatever person trying to justify some shit call. I agree with what some others have said, the are not using VAR correctly. If it's not 100% no argument then the call needs to be the original. The problem is the only way for it to improve is for us to suffer through this. I had to go through the same thing when I was younger and the NFL introduced VAR.

I personally think there is such vagueness around some of the rules that VAR couldn't possibly make handball decisions because you can make every one look intentional with the right angle and slow motion.

Offside and goalline should be a check everytime, that part of VAR I'm ok with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom