Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
They should probably have a decision review system like in tennis or cricket. 1 or 2 per game that the managers/captains can challenge a decision. If they are wrong they lose a challenge etc.

Yes

These are early days and it can only improve over time like any new technology

It eliminates blatant cheating, cunt tackles and obvious offside

was there not some suggestion that it could be used like hawkeye in tennis and that teams could have a set number of VAR requests pergame/half and once used up then its left to the referees discretion?
1 per half, maybe?

I'm a yay, in no small part because I genuinely think it'll give Liverpool their comeuppance this season.

The problem is when the technology is used in such an overbearing way, i.e. the disallowed Wolves goal this weekend that would never have been given as a penalty if the 'handball' was in the opposition box.

Until it stops being used as a tool by some referees to find slow-motion fault with every goal then we'll be complaining about it.

It's an unavoidable advance in the game, but there will always be teething problems.

the rule was changed, in attack any ball that hits the hand is hand ball, this is not the same if you are defending. I hate VAR but this is a rule rather than VAR issue.

Easiest yes ever given.

Game tempo is high and in some instances referees just cant grasp the situation well enough.
There will be subjectivity but it will help to eliminate very clear mistakes from refereeing. How can anyone be against it, I honestly cannot see. Using VAR makes harder to be a diver, it helps to spot when some player from lesser team is intentinally trying to be agressive towards talented players - what is there not to like?

Systems and our ability to use them effectively will improve with time.

But saying right now NO to VAR is like saying "Ah, fuck, those cars are so slow and ineficient. Horses are so much better options, I will stick with this. And I mean my father was using horses as a mode of transportation, so was his father and his father ...." in 1900.

Last year was ridiculous having it in the CL but not in the PL, either every comp has to have it or none. I voted yes simply because there is no way it is going to be removed from the rest of football. So it would be silly not to have it if everyone else does.

Don't mind it.

Just needs more clarification and consistency. Offsides are cool. We can all see what's on and offside and VAR will iron out the offside goals but it's the other decisions which are still based on the opinion of someone watching a replay on a screen.

Loved it when it disallowed Sterlings goal in the 96th minute of the Champions League quarter final at the Etihad.

Disliked it when it still awarded Liverpool the penalty in the Champions League final.

I don't like it because I don't know whether to celebrate. It was however a great success on the first weekend in terms of decisions.

I thought the two decisions that went to VAR in our game at the weekend, were resolved pretty quickly.

Don’t know if it’s because they were obvious or not, but we weren’t hanging around for ages, so if that’s the way it’s gonna be then it can stick around.

Until it goes against us then it can fuck off.

I thought the two decisions that went to VAR in our game at the weekend, were resolved pretty quickly.

Don’t know if it’s because they were obvious or not, but we weren’t hanging around for ages, so if that’s the way it’s gonna be then it can stick around.

wasn't one of them for McGinns foul on KWP?
or was it his reaction to it?

The ref gave neither, if the ref had given the one where Mcginn went down VAR probably wouldn't have overruled it, it's ridiculous.

i really dont understand the gripes with VAR. Its like everyone suddenly expected a computer like accuracy on all fouls/offsides etc. its not FIFA for fucks sake.

VAR is for refs. We at home have ALWAYS had video replays, yet it never stopped fans debating decisions ad nauseam. If we couldnt agree when watching limitless slow mo replays before, then we still won't now. Makes no sense to think so.

its seems some want perfection, or nothing, but there's a whole decent space between.

The one thing it's really important to do is for linesman to put their flag up the moment the ball goes in the net if he's not 100% certain it was onside. A more switched on linesman would have done that for Sterling's goal against us.

Back
Top Bottom