Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
It’ll get better.

I bet people had issues when red cards and substitutes were first used as well.

I have been banging this drum for a long time, with the money in football why didn't FIFA/UEFA heavily subsidise a minor league to trial VAR for 5 or 6 years away from the scrutiny of the media, so many of these problems could have been ironed out.

VAR can be solved easily... Has there been a clear and obvious error? If yes overturn, if no then refs original decision should stand.

If it's still open to debate and not 100 percent conclusive, the refs results stands.

The problem is that its trying to be used in a way that is impossible - it's trying to catch anything and everything that occurs on the pitch to see if a decision can be overturned.... That is wrong.

If it's used as an extra pair of eyes to make sure that the ref hasn't made a howler then it's fine......

Simple rules

If you need a theoretical line to decide whether someone is offside then it's not clear and obvious,....... Clear and obvious is offside to the naked eye.

If a penalty is not given on the field and VAR have to make a decision on the minutest of contacts then the refs original decision should stand as its not clear and obvious.

If the ref has missed a blatant punch, headbutt or other clear red card offence then it should be used.

Clear and Obvious!

VAR can be solved easily... Has there been a clear and obvious error? If yes overturn, if no then refs original decision should stand.

If it's still open to debate and not 100 percent conclusive, the refs results stands.

The problem is that its trying to be used in a way that is impossible - it's trying to catch anything and everything that occurs on the pitch to see if a decision can be overturned.... That is wrong.

If it's used as an extra pair of eyes to make sure that the ref hasn't made a howler then it's fine......

Simple rules

If you need a theoretical line to decide whether someone is offside then it's not clear and obvious,....... Clear and obvious is offside to the naked eye.

If a penalty is not given on the field and VAR have to make a decision on the minutest of contacts then the refs original decision should stand as its not clear and obvious.

If the ref has missed a blatant punch, headbutt or other clear red card offence then it should be used.

Clear and Obvious!
That just moves the argument to defining clear and obvious, which is a human call. Keep it for offside and bin the rest.

That just moves the argument to defining clear and obvious, which is a human call. Keep it for offside and bin the rest.
No because if there is a penalty given and a replay shows that there was absolutely no contact between the defender and the forward, then that is clear and obvious and should be overturned.

See 2 of Salah's penalties last year if you want an example.

Simple rules

Clear and Obvious!

Clear and obvious that Tammy Abraham fell over last night, Clear and obvious that Sissoko penalty shouldn't of stood, clear and obvious has too broad of a meaning and the interpretation of the rules is also too broad, the dodgy penalty kicks being given now are more frequent than before VAR.

VAR was supposed to remove 'We was robbed!' from the game. It hasn't done so - and I don't think it ever will, thank God - it's the only vestige of pride some supporters (eg Geordies) have.

That said, it has the potential to reduce the number of wrong decisions that go against elite, top flight teams like us.

Edit - Wow - currently the vote is like a re-run of Brexit.

Clear and obvious that Tammy Abraham fell over last night, Clear and obvious that Sissoko penalty shouldn't of stood, clear and obvious has too broad of a meaning and the interpretation of the rules is also too broad, the dodgy penalty kicks being given now are more frequent than before VAR.
We will see what happens but I reckon Refs will now give more penalties on the basis that VAR will correct a mistake. That is what happened in rugby - give the try on the field and leave it to the video ref to see if there is any reason to overturn the decision.

superstaryid superstaryid -exactly because its not being used correctly.

The examples you state were not clear and obvious - they were open to interpretation and so whatever the ref decides on the field then should stand. Equally if the ref had not given the penalty last night then it should Not have been overturned as it wasn't clear and obvious.

The ref decision is the decision to go with.

They're complicating things - if used correctly then 99 percent of the on pitch decisions should stand. Only the absolute howlers should be overturned.

VAR was supposed to remove 'We was robbed!' from the game. It hasn't done so - and I don't think it ever will, thank God - it's the only vestige of pride some supporters (eg Geordies) have.

That said, it has the potential to reduce the number of wrong decisions that go against elite, top flight teams like us.

Edit - Wow - currently the vote is like a re-run of Brexit.

Most of the time 'we was robbed' is just a saying when people don't like the result.

You will still get that - but you can limit the examples of things like giving offsides when the player receives the ball in his own half - clear and obvious.

You can limit the penalties given when there is clear daylight between attacker and defender - clear and obvious.

You can punish a player for an off the ball incident that the ref hasn't spotted - clear and obvious.

The Abraham dive last night does not fall under clear and obvious and so the refs decision should stand, whether she gave a penalty or said no penalty.

As I said before - if VAR is used correctly, 99 percent of the the on field decisions will stand.

Last edited:
We will see what happens but I reckon Refs will now give more penalties on the basis that VAR will correct a mistake. That is what happened in rugby - give the try on the field and leave it to the video ref to see if there is any reason to overturn the decision.

I've no problem if we end up with a correct decision but the fact is we aren't , I saw the ball hit a villa players hand in our game at the weekend VAR didn't give it nor did the ref, why? , VAR should be the authority on such matters not give the ref the benefit of the doubt when he/she is clearly wrong.

I've no problem if we end up with a correct decision but the fact is we aren't , I saw the ball hit a villa players hand in our game at the weekend VAR didn't give it nor did the ref, why? , VAR should be the authority on such matters not give the ref the benefit of the doubt when he/she is clearly wrong.
Jacqui Oatley has made it her business to try and explain it all on her twitter feed. Every time she makes a clarification it becomes harder to understand.

I find the VAR concept quite solid but football has always had its flaws and I’d much prefer it stays that way than become a business like it tends to do nowadays. Imo VAR only adds another layer of this business feeling.
If they limited VAR to some really important games or only to European later stages like QF/SF maybe it was more acceptable.
In general I think the waiting of goal confirmation just spoils the fun and joy.

Have you ever watched a woman try to read a map?
tumblr_o5vxan4UIT1rlafseo1_400.gif

Back
Top Bottom