Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
Without it we would have lost the 1/4 final to City in the Spursy-est way possible. With it we got Lucas Moura's hat trick.
The implementation needs to improve but I can't argue against it.

The technology will improve rapidly.
I find it difficult to make an argument against correct decisions being made.
We keep seeing examples of VAR changing big decisions the refs had already got wrong.

If you scrap the idea, it won't improve. Stick with it, fund it, and in 15 years the way VAR is used now will look like the stone age.

Wouldn’t it be quicker for each dubious decision to be sent to the House of Parliament for them to discuss

I'd prefer the voice of Adolf Hitler. Then a cheesewire shoots across the pitch at neck height, so he'd better stop running or get decapitated. What's German for offside?

Too late, I googled it - Abseits Schweinhund.

Don’t mention the VAR

I'll take it today but this new handball rule has to be killed with fire. It's not right, it's just not right, and it's not football. There was never anything wrong with old handball rule, it's been shown last season, with the bollocks "unnatural position" rubbish and now the even worse any offensive handball disallows a goal nonsense. Footballers are human beings therefore they have fucking hands and fucking arms! They're just not allowed to use them deliberately! That makes sense, a ball hitting their hands unintentionally being penalised is just ridiculous.

It should only be used in a challenge/review system as it's used in other sports like tennis, American Football and cricket.

Let the players and managers decide when to challenges decision not the refs. Maybe one per half. That Sterling offside decision the other day was ridiculous imo, how the fuck could you moan that the linesman didn't see that Sterling's shoulder was a few inches offside in real time.

I don't like how it's currently used, it seems that they look for any reason to disallow a goal which takes away so much from the enjoyment.

Let's be brutally honest. VAR is for TV audiences not for those that actually attend games. On TV it works great and pundits love it as it gives them something else to waffle on about. They don't care if goals are disallowed or offsides given etc, for them it just adds to the drama.

For us in the stadium? It sucks the passion out of it plus it just angers the crown when a goal is disallowed but we don't even get to see a replay. I meam why should we? We're just background noise after all and merely there to add 'colour' to the match.

I hate var as it's currently used but I'm hopeful that it will be tweaked and fine-tunes until eventually nobody talks about it, just accepts the decisions and we get back to the game.

Have you ever watched a woman try to read a map?
My OH can't even read Google Maps and that gives you step by step instructions
I'd call you sexist pigs, but my navigational skills leave a lot to be desired,TBH :oops:
However our weakness led to a fortuitous meeting in Barcelona last year. We took a wrong turning to get to the cable car and because of that, we met Daniel Levy, so yah boo sucks!

25 frames per second is not enough for close call offsides. If the attacking player makes a run at 20km/h then 1 frame equals around 22cm. Yet offside decisions are being given on millimeters.

Let's look at this objectively. Gone are the days where you will see the spurs goalkeeper working part time in the butchers because football doesn't pay enough. Now, the working class are cheering on the middle class and football is a multi billion pound industry. As such there is far more at stake for a hell of a lot more people than there were back when the original rules were written up. One poor decision could cost a club millions so while VAR has changed everything about the game, it's not only a game any more, its a business and as such money dictates everything.
I'm not the best at writing stuff down so that do

I don't in any particular way like to admit being wrong. I was categorically pro for a long time. And am now categorically against.

There's too many dodgy decisions still, and all VAR has done is make it abundantly clear that there's a shitload of grey area in football. We should just embrace that, along with the controversy, rather than trying to make everything perfect and 100% fair and correct.

But most of all, I cannot abide this waiting to raise the flag, until the chance is dead, if there's any doubt. Never quite knowing if a goal's a goal is just killing way too much joy.

Back
Top Bottom