Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hmm not really to me, I love Paris but he said he wanted to move north to be closer to his family. All he will win in Paris is some bullshit French league and irrelevant French cup.

There ain't many teams up North in the market for a left back though and Danny has come out and said he wants to get paid what he deems himself to be worth. I can see him struggling to get his move closer to home at this moment so we shall see I guess.

If Eriksen signs, would the club still buy Celso?! I doubt it, too many mids and less defenders.

Don’t know if we would spend the money but we need him, last season chasing Grealish, it’s obvious we need another creative AM, can’t just rely on Eriksen.

Our alternative is just an injured Lamela. Dele isnt really a creator in the Eriksen mould and Kane, Son and Moura are more forward type players. Lo Celso also has the advantage he can play as a deep lying playmaker not just further forward.

If Eriksen signs, would the club still buy Celso?! I doubt it, too many mids and less defenders.

Depends, if we can move Wanyama on then Lo Celso may take his spot. It seems like he is quite versatile.

I think it's unlikely we can afford him without selling Eriksen but I suppose if we can get £30m for Rose and Wanyama combined, plus whatever we can scrape together from Janssen and Nkoudou, maybe we can just about manage it.

We have offered a new one year deal to Llorente so we may have given up on signing a new forward so that we can spend in other areas.

Don’t know if we would spend the money but we need him, last season chasing Grealish, it’s obvious we need another creative AM, can’t just rely on Eriksen.

Our alternative is just an injured Lamela. Dele isnt really a creator in the Eriksen mould and Kane, Son and Moura are more forward type players. Lo Celso also has the advantage he can play as a deep lying playmaker not just further forward.
Yes but would the club spend more than £100m in one TW? And without adding a RB ? Basically other positions of more importance.

I hope so Lo Celso can play deeper than Eriksen and partner Ndombele then we can move Eriksen forward and actually make him and Dele fight for a spot as both have been far to comfortable for a while. Then Son, Moua and Kane can all fight it out for the last two

If so...

#DatRecruitmentStrategy
This morning @ Sky:

Woolwich reach an agreement in principle with Saint Etienne for defender William Saliba, according to Sky sources. The deal will see Saliba return to Saint-Etienne on loan next season. Tottenham had been in talks for the player, but never made a formal bid.

I hope so Lo Celso can play deeper than Eriksen and partner Ndombele then we can move Eriksen forward and actually make him and Dele fight for a spot as both have been far to comfortable for a while. Then Son, Moua and Kane can all fight it out for the last two
That wasn't the question. Would the club spend over £100m in one TW without replacing the RB position?

Yes but would the club spend more than £100m in one TW? And without adding a RB ? Basically other positions of more importance.

Depends.

Foyth: could be a star, certainly better defensively than Trippier or Aurier in that role not to mention a better ball player than either, question remains can he keep his cool and can he develop his game further forward which is part of being an RB.

Aurier: if he somehow keep fit and plays like he can he is a good player that’s a big if.

KWP: technically a very good player but needs to become more physically robust.

We have 3 players going for one position, only one needs to show they are capable of the role.

In regard to the creative AM role we have Eriksen and a constantly injured Lamela so depth is very low.

As for spending if we ain’t going to spend £100 mil after 4 seasons of CL football and massive TV revenue we never will and in that situation I can’t see Poch staying much longer so I think we will because we don’t have a choice if we wish to keep Poch.

There are degrees of 'one-footedness' (excuse the made up word). Most players favour one foot, it's having the ability to throw players off or keep them at bay knowing you can and will use the other foot if necessary. Lamella is pretty predictable... I still really like him and feel he deserves his spot. He's been through a lot and always gives 100%. We need a high calibre of sub on our bench, players who have the skill and intensity to change a game. Lamella is this so I think it's worth keeping him around if possible. He has a good attitude.

All of the Academy will have a 'good attitude' and 'give 100%' but the overwhelming majority will not make it in the PL.

Comparing Messi's and Lamela's 'one footedness' doesn't work as Messi has so much more going for him e.g acceleration, 'slipperyness', speed of thought, awareness of teamates and eye for a pass.

Lamela has few of these attributes, he's simply one footed and puts himself about a bit.

Any half decent coach, captain or player will work out how to nullify him by forcing him to go right onto his weaker side, or get him booked/sent off.

After six years he's not good enough for me and should have been moved on a couple of years ago and not offered a new generous contract.

It's interesting that in all of the 'new lineups' speculated about as a result of our new signing(!), none of them feature Lamela.

A makeweight squad member at the very best.

Having said that, he's a Spurs player and I wish him an injury-free season in the hope he will 'do a Sissoko'.

Lloris/Gazzaniga

Aurier/KWP
Alderweireld/Sanchez
Vertonghen/Foyth
Davies/Sessengon

Ndombele/Sissoko
Winks/Dier
Eriksen/Lo Celso
Dele/Lamela
Son/Lucas

Kane/Llorente

We both know I could have retorted you to fucking death about the banality of Davies, Dier and Sissoko, and backed it up with stats if I could be arsed, but I couldn't.

By talking of banality, aren't you rather proving my point?

And please let it be noted, you brought Sissoko into this, not me before I have Sergeant Bazali Bazali of the fucking Sissoko police on my fucking case.

Noted, but a valid part of my 'case' though much the same... You exhibited the trait in question the way you reacted to the mention of Dier with out of context rhetoric.

And it's a bit hypocritical for someone who quoted a simple short post of mine pointing out the factual inaccuracies of your previous post with this stat filled essay

Nothing hypocritical about it at all. A) you proved straight away you had no grasp of the context in which my original (nor follow up) post(s) were made by comparing Rose to Davies, quoting minutes played and misquoting me as saying Ben was a "#1 selection" into the bargain (injury to Rose obviously gave him his 'break' as a 1st teamer for 18months - A fact I've not hidden from)... The former insertions were simply not relevant, the latter simply false. B) You know as well as I do, I don't fancifully band stats about on a regular basis, but in this case I was simply quantifying how many games each player I mentioned had started in the time period discussed. It was hardly an essay of the proportions or nature of that which I made light...

Davies is an OK LB to have in a squad, Dier is good/Ok as a CB, fucking meh/turgid as a CM, Sissoko is just fucking piss poor at most things, but as I said, teams win leagues, world cups and champions leagues or finish top 4, with all variations of shitty (relatively speaking) players in their midst that are compensated for by numerous other factors (I even gave you a couple of examples - where the fuck is the entire Leicester back 4 now? Greece winning a Euros etc etc).

Over arching point; How the fuck did they do it?

Being part of a successful team (or relatively successful even) is no more a steadfast guarantee of a player's individual quality any more than being part of a really shit team automatically means a player is shit.

Touche, but take our manager's history for perfect instance, most players that looked good under him, when sold, haven't pulled up trees afterwards... (Lovren, Lallana, Shaw, Schneiderlin... We all know the list); that doesn't mean they weren't worthy contributors within that system or can reasonably be expected to be 'swapped out' for high spec individuals across the board (unless you are Man City and a blessed few other teams in the world). I'm glad you mentioned Greece (and Leicester again... Let's throw Denmark in their too)... Isn't the pursuit here - however unlikely in a lot of teams cases - to WIN trophies? Let's not confuse the notion of 'entertaining football' or the fabled 'Tottenham Way' with a requisite that each and every player must be entertainers themselves.

On the flip-side, do you not think there is a tipping point where a system is only as good as the players attempting to execute it? We racked up our best ever defensive numbers with Dier & Ben as regular starters.... How many "relatively shitty" players can a team afford to have as regular starters before it becomes dysfunctional... 2, 3, 4....?

Ben was 23/24 when Poch dropped him again for a player you don't particularly rate in Rose.... Why is it not fair to assume he'd have improved further if his run of starts had continued? Same way that Dier may have developed further/better if he'd not been shunted around from season to season?

Finally, a closing point on Davies: If he was as bad as is made out by his detractors, then how comes we rarely leak goals down his side? ...Yet by contrast, teams would actively target Trippier for HIS weaknesses (a player you at length defended over and over again and has now been sold)?

Last edited:
Depends.

Foyth: could be a star, certainly better defensively than Trippier or Aurier in that role not to mention a better ball player than either, question remains can he keep his cool and can he develop his game further forward which is part of being an RB.

Aurier: if he somehow keep fit and plays like he can he is a good player that’s a big if.

KWP: technically a very good player but needs to become more physically robust.

We have 3 players going for one position, only one needs to show they are capable of the role.

In regard to the creative AM role we have Eriksen and a constantly injured Lamela so depth is very low.

As for spending if we ain’t going to spend £100 mil after 4 seasons of CL football and massive TV revenue we never will and in that situation I can’t see Poch staying much longer so I think we will because we don’t have a choice if we wish to keep Poch.
I hope we will be spending and adding much needed quality in the middle and forward positions.
BUT that defence you are suggesting is untried untested could be a risk.

That wasn't the question. Would the club spend over £100m in one TW without replacing the RB position?

I would say that adding more creativity is far more important than buying a RB, we still have two natural RBs plus Foyth in the squad. We had far too many games last season where we were unable to create many chances and either failed to score or only scored one goal.

Man City won the league two years running without any consistency at their LB position with Mendy, Danilo, Delph, Zinchenko and Laporte all playing there, but they had the quality in the front 6 to win with such ease that having a makeshift LB was irrelevant. If we can go back to scaring teams with our quality then we will get away with having an average player at full-back. If it's a straight choice between Lo Celso or a new RB then I choose the former.

This morning @ Sky:

Woolwich reach an agreement in principle with Saint Etienne for defender William Saliba, according to Sky sources. The deal will see Saliba return to Saint-Etienne on loan next season. Tottenham had been in talks for the player, but never made a formal bid.

Meanwhile, the mighty Xhaka is mooted to be their new team captain, the 'war' with Kosielny rages on, doubts about Holding being a viable prospect moving forward begin to gather pace and they're giddy about the prospect of being a training camp for RM's stugglers.

Eye's of win on the prize eh, Goon muppets? :freundgoal:

Back
Top Bottom