January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The cunt off is in full swing I see. Oh Well

jackson_pop_corn.gif

What the actual fuck? Nobody's ridiculed me, they just posted an opinion which doesn't agree with mine, which is absolutely fine. I'm not sure where the sucking off has occurred either. Please point me in the direction of that.

Wasn’t you just making a high horses speech about posts like this....

Who cares what someone said.....it’s a forum

Now you’re all about the off topic bullshit.
See, when YOU feel misrepresented then it’s ok for YOU to engage in some nonsense seeking clarification....

As I said, lack of self awareness

Still rather risky though isn't it? Barcelona will want a significant chunk of the fee they paid back, if it doesn't work out we will be stuck with more deadwood.

That pretty much applies to any transfer though doesn't it?

I' not saying Malcom was or is top - or even high - on my wish list either, I think what I said was, I'd rather we spent 35 on him than 25 on Moura, when they were both options we were considering - which was what was reported last year.

I still think Malcom is a decent player of his ilk, ie left-footed AM/WF playing from the right, but there are a few positions and players I'd want upgrading before his/him.

As an alternative outlook, i keep on floating the idea that Poch is being too picky with his targets in leu of his "no signings for the sake of it" mantra.... No-one seems to entertain that concept tho.

It's too far fetched imo. I would maybe buy that concept if it was a stats nerd who never played like AVB in charge but Poch is a former player who came up from the rough leagues.
He will have experienced and played with all sorts of different types of players.

Also consider how flexible he is. He can work with fresh youth academy prospects or reinvent players (Lamela) or even give new life to players in their late 20s (Lambert, Sissoko etc) which is practically unheard of (and one reason he's the best manager in the world).

Yeah he probably has some filters on that narrow the selection (no cunts, work hard) but signings like Aurier and Llorente show how varied he can be (Llorente because of age, Aurier because of terrible reputation for behaviour).

Then consider his tactical flexibility, he finds roles for everyone and anyone. Whether 4321, 352, 4141, 442 diamond, 3511 and so forth. His options are so broad.

I cannot imagine that Poch is being too picky when you consider all of that.

I'm late to the party here, and don't know quite what the debate was like over the summer
It was joyous! I would recommend reading it from start to finish. Get the refreshments & party snacks in.
Sit back in your favourite chair & let the words flow....

Wasn’t you just making a high horses speech about posts like this....

Who cares what someone said.....it’s a forum

Now you’re all about the off topic bullshit.
See, when YOU feel misrepresented then it’s ok for YOU to engage in some nonsense seeking clarification....

As I said, lack of self awareness
No mate, I just made a comment. No horses were harmed.

To be fair I have said I don't want a striker as I don't they will play enough to justify the expense of getting one in. But yes things have changed.

My dream signing would be Zaha. He is so exciting to watch and can play up top or out wide, perfect to rotate /compete .

Trouble is he would likely cost 100 million when we're building a billion pound stadium and desperately need a central midfielder or two.

Wonder if we could get a loan in to get us through.

If we all collectively say "yes Sammy, signing a striker would be a good idea" (even though I highly doubt anyone would have turned one down recently, but rather thought another position like central midfield was a higher priority) will you be happy?
:pochrolleyes:

Or, maybe people shouldn’t ridicule the idea with all their might from the off and start saying it’s more important to upgrade Trippier.

There’s tonnea of posters who would like a striker, and agree with the point I’ve been making. You probably do too.

But like many others you feel more comfortable trying to take the piss out of me, or not agreeing publically, than you would actually entering the debate and saying
“Actually it wouldn’t be that bad with a striker, RB pales in significance”

Thats fine, but it’s interesting that yesterday I was arguing with two posters about it, now we are being linked with strikers, others feel very compelled to come out of the woodwork and pick an argument with me about something else, then they will moan about it in a few pages.

Like you.
Actually what the fuck is your point?
Other than to receive a post like this one in reply?

That pretty much applies to any transfer though doesn't it?

I' not saying Malcom was or is top - or even high - on my wish list either, I think what I said was, I'd rather we spent 35 on him than 25 on Moura, when they were both options we were considering - which was what was reported last year.

I still think Malcom is a decent player of his ilk, ie left-footed AM/WF playing from the right, but there are a few positions and players I'd want upgrading before his/him.
But not all risks are the same, there is a difference between a 5 million risk ( Alli) and a 35 million risk with a 21 year old Brazilian that isn't making it at Barca. He's got a complete change of culture to get use to and a much harder and faster league. He may be a good buy I don't know, we should have tried for him before he got well known.

It's too far fetched imo. I would maybe buy that concept if it was a stats nerd who never played like AVB in charge but Poch is a former player who came up from the rough leagues.
He will have experienced and played with all sorts of different types of players.

Also consider how flexible he is. He can work with fresh youth academy prospects or reinvent players (Lamela) or even give new life to players in their late 20s (Lambert, Sissoko etc) which is practically unheard of (and one reason he's the best manager in the world).

Yeah he probably has some filters on that narrow the selection (no cunts, work hard) but signings like Aurier and Llorente show how varied he can be (Llorente because of age, Aurier because of terrible reputation for behaviour).

Then consider his tactical flexibility, he finds roles for everyone and anyone. Whether 4321, 352, 4141, 442 diamond, 3511 and so forth. His options are so broad.

I cannot imagine that Poch is being too picky when you consider all of that.
A lot of sense spoken there, sir.

Or, maybe people shouldn’t ridicule the idea with all their might from the off and start saying it’s more important to upgrade Trippier.

There’s tonnea of posters who would like a striker, and agree with the point I’ve been making. You probably do too.

But like many others you feel more comfortable trying to take the piss out of me, or not agreeing publically, than you would actually entering the debate and saying
“Actually it wouldn’t be that bad with a striker, RB pales in significance”

Thats fine, but it’s interesting that yesterday I was arguing with two posters about it, now we are being linked with strikers, others feel very compelled to come out of the woodwork and pick an argument with me about something else, then they will moan about it in a few pages.

Like you.
Actually what the fuck is your point?
Other than to receive a post like this one in reply?
Never taken the piss out of you wanting a striker, or 'disagreed publicly' about it. I mean, I did just literally ask you if saying directly that you have a fair point about wanting a striker would make you happy - that was kind of the point of my post.

Whatever. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Endlessly go on about how you were Cassandra and no-one listened to you about wanting a striker. I'd just rather hear what you think about who we should be going for as that'd be more interesting.

Never taken the piss out of you wanting a striker, or 'disagreed publicly' about it. I mean, I did just literally ask you if saying directly that you have a fair point about wanting a striker would make you happy - that was kind of the point of my post.

Whatever. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Endlessly go on about how you were Cassandra and no-one listened to you about wanting a striker. I'd just rather hear what you think about who we should be going for as that'd be more interesting.
Yet you don’t ask me that

Most people won’t care as long as it’s an attacker who is bought with the sole purpose of scoring goals.
But people claiming it’s not worth it because it’s “only” 11 games and we’ll comfortably win 6 of the PL games, go through in the FA, and “oh well Chelsea and Dortmund were tough anyway” need their heads checked.

If we signed Wilson or Werner (AS AN EXAMPLE) will they be “livid” that it wasn’t a DM. Yeah alright.

People crying for CMs when we were battering Chelsea and getting results in the Nou Camp, and beating Everton 6-2 away and sitting 2nd in the table, acting like Kane and Son missing is not going to affect us.

Beyond delusion.

Pointing to the last time Kane was out as evidence, despite the fact we now don’t have the exact central midfield they’ve been pining for anymore.

Predicting 18pts from 21 despite the fact they think we “desperately” need TWO central midfielders and a RB.

Sounds like we don’t need anyone with form like that....not even Kane. Not even Son.
Sounds like an amazing run to me.

Sammy, it's really hard to engage with you sometimes because you bury the odd very salient point in a supercilious sardonic avalanche of straw man sarcasm.

People say simple things that are easy to understand and you obfuscate it into something you feel more comfortable ridiculing.

Or you try to oversimplify more complex issues.

You don't base a transfer strategy on a player being out or away on international duty for a month. If we were to buy Wilson it would cost us 50m plus another 25-30m in wages and would be a 4-5 year contract. Llorente has played 36 minutes of league football out of 2050. That's because we have a player, Kane, who is so good and so complete as a striker that there are almost no circumstances, bar trivial ones, in which he would be deemed upgradable. Even when he's having a poor game, he scores, when he misses three sitters, he scores the fourth, his confidence never wains.

So surely you can understand the logic of people saying - if we are going to commit circa 75m+ on a forward, to get the value from that deal it needs to be someone who can also play other positions, so that we can get a lot more use/minutes from that player.

With regards to prioritising a CM over a forward, again, it's logical right now because we have Kane - who always starts when fit - we have Son - who is a really good forward and is also versatile - and as a third choice we have Llorente - who is just an older, slower version of Kane, who didn't cost 50m and is happy to sit on the bench - and then we also have other players who score goals and/or could be pushed forward in an emergency like Alli, Eriksen, and at a push Lamela and Moura.

But many of us feel our central midfield options aren't as deep or as high in quality as those forward options. We are losing Dembele, Wanyama is fucked. Dier and Sissoko do "jobs" but don't do them as well as many of us would like. Winks is embryonic in his development and playing out of position. Skipp is 18yo.

Anecdotal and data evidence suggests our forwards/AM's are amongst the best in this league. The same criteria suggests some of our defenders are too. The same criteria suggests our midfielders are definitely not. That is why many of us would prioritise that area first.

Teams can have weaknesses, but still do relatively well because the strengths compensate. In our case we have a great coach, a really good collective coached and tactical ethos most of the time, and some great players. Like ManU winning the league with Phil Jones in midfield and O'Shea at the back. We are doing well enough with the CM's we have, but many of us think we aren't far away from genuinely challenging for a title and that the area that would most improve that would be midfield, because in Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Son we have some of the best creative and creatively productive players in this league already. We don't have any midfielders that are currently "top echelon".

Sammy, it's really hard to engage with you sometimes because you bury the odd very salient point in a supercilious sardonic avalanche of straw man sarcasm
Fucking hell what is this?

National Therapy time for Sammy Day

I DONT GIVE A FUCK WHAT ANYONE THINKS ABOUT THE WAY I POST.

No one here is any better than anyone else.
Just all of you get that into your heads.

I’m a cunt.
You are all cunts too.

Back
Top Bottom