January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe it is as much to do with Levy's style of negotiation. I certainly think it's a huge factor.

I don't follow.... Levy isn't responsible for the 'Neymar-inflation' that means decent (rather than great) players like Siggy are now suddenly 50m and Callum Wilson attracts a price-tag of 75m...

As an alternative outlook, i keep on floating the idea that Poch is being too picky with his targets in leu of his "no signings for the sake of it" mantra.... No-one seems to entertain that concept tho.

As per rough diamonds: That was thinking behind Jansen for example... Doesn't stop Levy getting flack from many for 'going cheap' in that instance.... Even though 18m is a fair whack on a 'prospect'.

We are depleted all over the pitch though. And Lloris himself isn’t exactly in scintillating form.
We are without Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Son, Kane & isn’t Moura still recovering from a heavy knock?
I hope Lloris is right, but we are threadbare. An injury to either Eriksen or Alderweireld (as you mentioned them) and I think we’d be pretty much in the shit.

Tbf, considering Davies we have 5 good/great CBs... Least area of concern i'd have thought.

What worries me is if it get's spicey at The Bridge and one of our AMs is taken out by some filthy Chav.

Yes, actually AMs play up front. Where do you think they play?
Up top isnt necesarily two strikers though...Son can be used as a striker. Havent denied that.

Ive said hes not one, and isnt used as one when Kane is on the pitch.
AM = attacking midfield
Up front = striker
Son this season = up front with kane
Son last season when Kane was injured = up front on his own

We have been playing with 2 strikers this season, that's not even debatable, son has been one of them alongside Kane .

I don't follow.... Levy isn't responsible for the 'Neymar-inflation' that means decent (rather than great) players like Siggy are now suddenly 50m and Callum Wilson attracts a price-tag of 75m...
No, he's not responsible for that kind of inflation, nor do I want to spunk that kind of money on the likes of them. I didn't like Siggy anyway, and would have felt compelled to sign myself into a psychiatric hospital had he come back.

We used to laugh at how Levy was rinsing other clubs for our deadwood, but I think he has lost his touch. I think he spends too much time trying to take things down to the wire, generally speaking, and I think a lot of people flat-out don't want to deal with him because he's a nuisance.
As an alternative outlook, i keep on floating the idea that Poch is being too picky with his targets in leu of his "no signings for the sake of it" mantra.... No-one seems to entertain that concept tho.
I don't think Poch is too picky, but I have reservations about his eye for a player.
As per rough diamonds: That was thinking behind Jansen for example... Doesn't stop Levy getting flack from many for 'going cheap' in that instance.... Even though 18m is a fair whack on a 'prospect'.
We had our pants pulled down there. I think we expected Janssen to have an immediate impact.

Last edited:

Of course he is partly responsible just like other chairmen are. They want big TV deals, huge sponsorship agreements etc all this extra money will always go on bigger wages and bigger transfer fees. Plus Levy himself is a hard negotiator when it comes to selling players and he always gets buying clubs to pay over the odds. The Gareth Bale sale changed the market. Great for Spurs financially but every transfer after that was influenced by it. Top players cost more but so do the average ones. He now wants 225 mill for Eriksen despite Eriksen only having 18 months on his deal. He probably values Kane at 400 million. Well if that's the case then it's not hard to understand that players with much less ability are being quoted at anywhere between 50-100 million.

Typical Levy wants to sell at 2019 prices but buy at 2009 prices:levystare:

AM = attacking midfield
Up front = striker
Son this season = up front with kane
Son last season when Kane was injured = up front on his own

We have been playing with 2 strikers this season, that's not even debatable, son has been one of them alongside Kane .

Ams play up front
Son doesnt play as a striker when Kane is on the pitch

He was previously the subject of much knuckle shuffling round these parts...

Is he considered beneath us now that Barca have lost enthusiasm(*)?

...So hard to keep up.

(*Funny tho... When you think they spent circa 300m on Dembele, Coutinho and Malcom and they're all subject to rumours of being near the exit within about a year.... All it takes is "big" signings eh? )

By the way ginola92
I couldn’t care less about semantics so no need to try and drown out the actual issue here which is I think we could do better than Llorente and Janssen, and you think it would be pointless because we got Son (who is away)

CM
CM
LB
RB
WF

Are probably our priorities, I'd say. Hopefully we can get a central midfielder in this window. But those are things that are important going into next season.

Maybe a CB in the build up to losing Vertonghen in 2020.

Last edited:
“I don’t want to spend ir sign anyone just to prove that I’m a better fan than you” is perhaps the most mind blowing narrative in this forum I ever saw. It’s not like we’ve been winning trophies left and right with these players. Close but not there

Just seems a strange reference is the concern in injury/depth.
Perhaps. I was simply using the two players he said we could also be without in the next 5 games and still take maximum points. I think that taking 2 more nailed on starters out would leave us in the shit, or swirling round the bowl anyway.

He was previously the subject of much knuckle shuffling round these parts...

Is he considered beneath us now that Barca have lost enthusiasm(*)?

...So hard to keep up.

(*Funny tho... When you think they spent circa 300m on Dembele, Coutinho and Malcom and they're all subject to rumours of being near the exit within about a year.... All it takes is "big" signings eh? )

Don’t see why anybody wouldn’t want to buy /loan from the likes of Barca, some Barca B players are better Premier League Top 6 clubs first team players.

If our transfer policy consists of getting PSG, Madrid, Barca rejects we could get some bloody good players and maybe at reasonable prices such as Moura.

Back
Top Bottom