Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The ONLY time that's happened since he's been there!!! And when City can call upon Danilo (a £30m FB) to be the player to replace him, it speaks volumes to Walkers quality that he's kept him out of the team since he signed for them, behave.

Anyway, this doesn't have anything to do with Walker. It's about Tripps The Calamity Kid, who fucking striked again!

That's not the only bad game he's had for City. That was just the last straw for Guardiola. He was atrocious in both games against Lyon too. Even last year, the first points they dropped were the game Walker got sent off in.

Lets not pretend Walker doesn't do stupid things and has throughout his career, because he's not very bright.

And no, this isn't about Walker, but the point is, if the so called best RB in this league is getting dropped for his mistakes, why do we expect our RB to not make them?

And Danilo really isn't great. I wouldn't swap him for Aurier.

I think the real value of Walker for Pep and/or anyone else is you can play a dangerously high defensive line and have his amazing recovery runs as insurance.

We play a very high line, and more often than not, play two slow full-backs. It doesn't make sense.

That's fine, I get that, and have said the same when asked why did he buy Walker, but it's always about compromise. High line, quick athlete with no brain and poor offensive play, verses slightly slower athlete, high line and better offensive output. When you weigh this up, I really don't think there's anything in it.

For the record I said pre-game I'd play KWP yesterday. We may as well start playing him, because even if we had the resources, I don't there's a world class Rb out there who's going to be a quantum upgrade in both directions.

Doesnt make Walker a superior footballer though.
Just makes him faster
It absolutely makes him better. It's the fundamental difference, you see he can use his pace to get behind the oppo (Tripps can't do that) and whilst he does this if the attack breaks down if he can also use it to get back and cover too (Tripps can't do that). Just this simple thing changes the dynamic of the team, it commits and turns the oppo. when attacking. And when he's getting back there aren't the holes in our defence when Tripps is absent (he doesn't have to cover his position but the position of the CM/DM/CB that's pulled out. Our covering player just has to slow the attack up and show it wide, Walker will be back to slot in behind. Holes filled, no space for oppo to exploit.

All done because he has pace. "he uses his pace to get himself out of trouble" vs "he has no pace, we're in trouble".

That's fine, I get that, and have said the same when asked why did he buy Walker, but it's always about compromise. High line, quick athlete with no brain and poor offensive play, verses slightly slower athlete, high line and better offensive output. When you weigh this up, I really don't think there's anything in it.
Look, I am not a big fan of either. I have said Walker is too dim for a Guardiola team. But I have fucking had it with Trippier. Too many cons, not enough pros.
For the record I said pre-game I'd play KWP yesterday.
I am all for giving him a shot, really disappointed we haven't seen more of him.

We haven't been linked with him, but out of curiosity, how do you rate Wan-Bissaka?

Are you comparing Tripps to a Lego Man?
There's a resemblance no?
:sonhmm:
il_570xN.1542599360_dbtr.jpg

It absolutely makes him better. It's the fundamental difference, you see he can use his pace to get behind the oppo (Tripps can't do that) and whilst he does this if the attack breaks down if he can also use it to get back and cover too (Tripps can't do that). Just this simple thing changes the dynamic of the team, it commits and turns the oppo. when attacking. And when he's getting back there aren't the holes in our defence when Tripps is absent (he doesn't have to cover his position but the position of the CM/DM/CB that's pulled out. Our covering player just has to slow the attack up and show it wide, Walker will be back to slot in behind. Holes filled, no space for oppo to exploit.

All done because he has pace. "he uses his pace to get himself out of trouble" vs "he has no pace, we're in trouble".

Walker making the same mistakes as Trippier, and worse, but being born fast doesnt make him a superior footballer.

It makes him a faster runner.
Walker with Trippiers pace would be in the champo. Trippier is top 3 PL

Walker making the same mistakes as Trippier, and worse, but being born fast doesnt make him a superior footballer.

Fact is Walker doesn’t have Trippiers pace, Trippier does unfortunately.

Technically speaking Trippier is a better footballer but that’s irrelevant. Players that lack pace have to make up for it their heads with positional sense and game reading. Trippier isn’t doing that.

Sissoko doesn’t see more of the ball than Trippier, he doesn’t play more incisive passes than trippier, he doesn’t create more chances than trippier, he doesn’t assist more than Trippier, he doesn’t tackle more than Trippier, he doesn’t intercept more than Trippier.

Yes. I’m saying Sissoko definitely does not cut it. He’s the worst player I’ve seenin a Spurs shirt for a very long time. He’s defunct. A dead parrot.

Yes I get the sketch but doesn’t Cleese eventually call him an ‘ex parrot’?
If you hadn’t nailed him to the crossbar he would be lying on his back etc

I believe that Sissoko makes a far more positive impact on a game than Trippier
That’s the bottom line

You clearly don’t

But he's not, got Tripps pace. He's got Walkers pace, that's the difference if we are being simplistic (I think he's a better footballer too).

He's played in the PL at the top end of the table for a decade now (247 PL appearances) and he's was sold for a World record fee for a defender before VVD went to Liverpool. He's playing in the most expensively assembled team in the history of the game. Has won the PL and League Cup whilst getting to CL quarter-final (an underachievement for City) and has 44 England caps to his name.

Tripps has 93 PL appearances and 16 England caps.

They are the same age.

But he's not, got Tripps pace. He's got Walkers pace, that's the difference if we are being simplistic (I think he's a better footballer too).

It doesnt mean he has better vision, makes less mistakes or assists more though......you know, the things that would make him a superior footballer.
I know he has Walkers pace. Thats why I said hes a faster runner.

He's played in the PL at the top end of the table for a decade now (247 PL appearances) and he's was sold for a World record fee for a defender before VVD went to Liverpool.
His competition was Hutton and Corluka, and he was shite until Poch turned up. He went for a record fee to Man City. They paid 60M for Mahrez and 50M for Stones, so what.

He's playing in the most expensively assembled team in the history of the game.
And has been dropped and his manager calling out his mistakes in public

Has won the PL and League Cup whilst getting to CL quarter-final (an underachievement for City) and has 44 England caps to his name.
City would have won it without Walker, we got the CL quarters too.......with Hutton and Corluka, and Walker lost his England place. To Trippier.

Tripps has 93 PL appearances and 16 England caps.
And Walker has 247 PL appearances, so 44 caps isnt that much of a relative difference.
His competition was Clyne for years

There is always a trade-off when you push a fullback high but a brilliant FB, with pace and athleticism, will get back, not usually to cover his own position, but get back to cover the position of either the CB or DM/CM that's been pulled out to cover the space left behind. Tripps absolutely doesn't do this, it's why there are holes in our defence and are readily exploited and one of the main reasons (not sole reason) why were are conceding more shots on our goal than before. All our other FB's cover and are able to contribute. His crossing really isn't very good, it's a narrative with no substance to back it up, a bit like Eriksen's ability to score from a free kick.

Combine this with the fact when he is back in a defensive position any way he's just a poor defender both with and without the ball. With the ball, he can't play out from a press, not exactly the right personnel for a team that errr, plays out from the back. Without the ball he's all over the shop.
Good points.... I’m not a big fan of any of our current fullbacks at the minute, but just saying that the current injuries we have coupled with continuous Centre half chopping and changing isn’t doing any of the fullbacks any favors.

It doesnt mean he has better vision, makes less mistakes or assists more though......you know, the things that would make him a superior footballer.
I know he has Walkers pace. Thats why I said hes a faster runner.

His competition was Hutton and Corluka, and he was shite until Poch turned up. He went for a record fee to Man City. They paid 60M for Mahrez and 50M for Stones, so what.

And has been dropped and his manager calling out his mistakes in public

City would have won it without Walker, we got the CL quarters too.......with Hutton and Corluka, and Walker lost his England place. To Trippier.

And Walker has 247 PL appearances, so 44 caps isnt that much of a relative difference.
His competition was Clyne for years
But you said it yourself "his pace gets him out of trouble" that means he's NOT in trouble beacuse of his pace got him out of it. Trips has no pace, that puts us in trouble because of it. I'm not even breaking out the reasons why I think he's a better footballer, I'm using your words, your definitions. Talking only about pace. (don't want to bang on because it's the Tripps thread, not Walker thread).

Assists do not prove a lot, it's a shite stat. How many of Trips assists come against sides other than Hull and Watford? Aurier and KWP have more assists per game ratio than Tripps. I'm talking purely what pace (and athleticism) does in that role and what it doesn't.

But City didn't win it without him though, they won it with him playing almost every game.

Tripps is the Championship player 212 Championship appearances backs this up.

Every player has a bad game, he got dropped, big deal. Would you be happy if Poch called out Tripps publicly for giving the ball away (that's what Walker did right?)?

But you said it yourself "his pace gets him out of trouble" that means he's NOT in trouble beacuse of his pace got him out of it.

It doesnt eliminate the fact he makes equally if not worse mistakes than Trippier though. So he is not a great defender, he's a fast one.

He's an average player, who can run fast.

It doesnt eliminate the fact he makes equally if not worse mistakes than Trippier though. So he is not a great defender, he's a fast one.

He's an average player, who can run fast.
Walkers mistakes came about before Poch rocked up, with every season they became few and far between but with some (maybe you) the tag stuck. The year he left and the season before that both he and Rose were lorded as the best FB's in the country, this can't be disputed, whether you think that they weren't is fine, but you can't deny that they weren't by media and fans alike.

His record smashes Tripps in every single metric.

If the two are average players one lighting fast the other not, I want the lightning-fast one. He is better because of it. A 'keeper with fast reactions is better than one that doesn't have fast reactions.

Tripps season has been terrible, this too is factual, I'm not calling him out solely on his fuck up last night, I'm calling him out for multiple fuck-ups this season and I'm consistent with my critique since he signed with us.

Walkers mistakes came about before Poch rocked up, with every season they became few and far between but with some (maybe you) the tag stuck. The year he left and the season before that both he and Rose were lorded as the best FB's in the country, this can't be disputed, whether you think that they weren't is fine, but you can't deny that they weren't by media and fans alike.

His record smashes Tripps in every single metric.

If the two are average players one lighting fast the other not, I want the lightning-fast one. He is better because of it. A 'keeper with fast reactions is better than one that doesn't have fast reactions.

Tripps season has been terrible, this too is factual, I'm not calling him out solely on his fuck up last night, I'm calling him out for multiple fuck-ups this season and I'm consistent with my critique since he signed with us.

Trippiers limitations dont make Walkers better though....for me Trippier is a far better footballer, and attacker.
They are par defensively, talent wise, I think Walker makes worse mistakes, but is fast.

Nothing more to add on this one

It's weird that Walker is considered "shit" before Poch came yet was voted by his peers as the best young footballer in the country at the age of 21.

As well as voted as the best right back in the entire Premier League at the same age, also voted by his peers. He has since gone on to be voted the best right back in the league twice more. Once during the 2016/17 season when we had our greatest ever Premier League season and last season when he was part of a record breaking season for arguably the greatest team the league has seen.

Poch improved him sure. That's because he's a great coach but let's not re-write history now.

Back
Top Bottom