Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's weird that Walker is considered "shit" before Poch came yet was voted by his peers as the best young footballer in the country at the age of 21.

As well as voted as the best right back in the entire Premier League at the same age, also voted by his peers. He has since gone on to be voted the best right back in the league twice more. Once during the 2016/17 season when we had our greatest ever Premier League season and last season when he was part of a record breaking season for arguably the greatest team the league has seen.

Poch improved him sure. That's because he's a great coach but let's not re-write history now.

Isnt it funny that Tripper is shit.....but Poch is AMAZING.
Yet Poch sold Walker and still picks Trippier as first choice RB

Isnt it funny that Tripper is shit.....but Poch is AMAZING.
Yet Poch sold Walker and still picks Trippier as first choice RB

Walker wanted to leave.

Why would Pochettino keep a player who doesn't want to be here?

I don't think Trippier is shit by the way, I've praised him for what he's good at. I just don't think he's up to the standards of a team that want to chase the title, that's all.

Because he had a five year contract and we "weakened the team and strengthened a rival"....?

Perhaps?

Not much Pochettino can do if Walker wants to leave, wants to stay in the country and Man City are offering a record breaking deal for a defender.

Trips is obviously better than what he's produced this season, he's not an elite defender but these are unusual mistakes he's making this year. Even Walker had seasons like this one where he just made infuriatingly basic errors repeatedly.

Aurier or KWP should start the next few games and hopefully Trips will respond to that and step up his game.

Because he had a five year contract and we "weakened the team and strengthened a rival"....?

Perhaps?

Contracts mean nothing but yes we should have sold him abroad
Certainly not to a rival but I would imagine that money talked and no one else could match Citehs offer

He could not advocate his sale and get him back on board like he did with Toby

I don't believe Alderweireld has ever said he wanted to leave.

The moment Walker walked into Pochettinos office in the middle of a title and FA Cup run and told him he wanted to leave was the last for Walker. There was no coming back from that.

I don't believe Alderweireld has ever said he wanted to leave.

The moment Walker walked into Pochettinos office in the middle of a title and FA Cup run and told him he wanted to leave was the last for Walker. There was no coming back from that.
Well Toby was dropped for nearly half a season while getting picked for Belgium and tweeting and saying in interviews he was fit.

Whether he wanted out or not we don’t know, but let’s not deny there was some serious issues there.
Still not resolved either and it looks like we will lose him soon, because he still hasn’t signed, but he’s turned it around and we’re getting the best of him.

Some might say it should have been the same with Walker, if they believe Walker is as good as they claim.

Well Toby was dropped for nearly half a season while getting picked for Belgium and tweeting and saying in interviews he was fit.

Whether he wanted out or not we don’t know, but let’s not deny there was some serious issues there.
Still not resolved either and it looks like we will lose him soon, because he still hasn’t signed, but he’s turned it around and we’re getting the best of him.

Some might say it should have been the same with Walker, if they believe Walker is as good as they claim.

He was - but that was after injury where Sanchez/Vertonghen formed a pretty formidable partnership. Whether Pochettino was wrong or not, our defence coped without Alderweireld but he remained professional, no stories about him wanting to leave, got on with the job and worked his way back into the team.

Walker, in the middle of our most successful season in decades, went into the managers office and told him he wanted to leave. I think there's a big difference here.

One got injured, lost his place, wouldn't sign a new deal but worked his way back into the team. The other whilst starting games and being voted the best right back in the league decided near the end of a season that he wanted to fuck off.

No one is bigger than the club.

Walkers mistakes came about before Poch rocked up, with every season they became few and far between but with some (maybe you) the tag stuck. The year he left and the season before that both he and Rose were lorded as the best FB's in the country, this can't be disputed, whether you think that they weren't is fine, but you can't deny that they weren't by media and fans alike.

His record smashes Tripps in every single metric.

This is just massively incorrect. Trippier absolutely smashes Walker in attacking metrics and has since he started playing regularly in 16/17. Absolutely smashes him. Beats his assists, chances created, key passes. Even this "terrible" season, Trippier's smashing Walker's attacking metrics (Walker averages 0.7 key passes, Trippier 1.6:

RBFOHl3.png

And this is the point. Trippier (both our fb's in any game we play) are asked to play a certain way. I urge you and everyone taking part in this debate to watch the MNF analysis that Carragher did tonight. He highlighted the way Poch wants us to play, where he places our FB's and the problems it creates. It's a high risk/high reward strategy. He highlighted the fact that "yes" it was a sloppy pass from Trippier, he also highlighted earlier occasions (and there were later ones too) where we got broke on and could have punished, but the bigger issue was the gaping chasm between Vertonghen and Davies and what Vertonghen did (as well as saying Lloris was poor).

h86gYXZ.jpg

Just look at how far back Rashford is.

COFKOp3.jpg

They highlighted that Vertonghen initially tries to read where Pogba's going pass and makes the actual pass too easy. Then they also virtual reality'd Lloris's position and he was miles too far to his left and gave Rashford too much to aim at - also pointed out that he's done this before (used Salah's goal as an example).

So let’s keep this in perspective. Trippier is a fucking long way from the only player to give a careless pass. Rose for example who has a shocking completion record and frequently gives it away when we are piled up field. Dier's the same, almost every game gives a sloppy one away that causes us problems and all our forwards/AM's do it.

I think Trippier's weaknesses are he's not the most robust defensively, can get out muscled, he hasn't got lightning pace (but few have) and he can't really dribble.

But he hasn't cost us any more goals with actual diabolical errors than many of our other players have. Most of what you and others lay at his door are mostly about the way we play and the risks we take, and we take that risk because the attacking metrics pay off.

Either way, offensively his metrics are the best for any RB in this league, and have been since he started getting regular games.

Last edited:
This is just massively incorrect. Trippier absolutely smashes Walker in attacking metrics and has since he started playing regularly in 16/17. Absolutely smashes him. Beats his assists, chances created, key passes. Even this "terrible" season, Trippier's smashing Walker's attacking metrics (Walker averages 0.7 key passes, Trippier 1.6:

RBFOHl3.png

And this is the point. Trippier (both our fb's in any game we play) are asked to play a certain way. I urge you and everyone taking part in this debate to watch the MNF analysis that Carragher did tonight. He highlighted the way Poch wants us to play, where he places our FB's and the problems it creates. It's a high risk/high reward strategy. He highlighted the fact that "yes" it was a sloppy pass from Trippier, he also highlighted earlier occasions (and there were later ones too) where we got broke on and could have punished, but the bigger issue was the gaping chasm between Vertonghen and Davies and what Vertonghen did (as well as saying Lloris was poor).

h86gYXZ.jpg

Just look at how far back Rashford is.

COFKOp3.jpg

They highlighted that Vertonghen initially tries to read where Pogba's going pass and makes the actual pass too easy. Then they also virtual reality'd Lloris's position and he was miles too far to his left and gave Rashford too much to aim at - also pointed out that he's done this before (used Salah's goal as an example).

So let’s keep this in perspective. Trippier is a fucking long way from the only player to give a careless pass. Rose for example who has a shocking completion record and frequently gives it away when we are piled up field. Dier's the same, almost every game gives a sloppy one away that causes us problems and all our forwards/AM's do it.

I think Trippier's weaknesses are he's not the most robust defensively, can get out muscled, he hasn't got lightning pace (but few have) and he can't really dribble.

But he hasn't cost us any more goals with actual diabolical errors than many of our other players have. Most of what you and others lay at his door are mostly about the way we play and the risks we take, and we take that risk because the attacking metrics pay off.

Either way, offensively his metrics are the best for any RB in this league, and have been since he started getting regular games.
READ MY FUCKING POSTS FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE: I have said WE PLAY HIGH-RISK FOOTBALL, I actually fucking wrote these exact words further up in the thread!!! I also said I LOVE THIS and wouldn't want it any other way! Christ almighty!

I have also said that we are even more exposed than we were when we had Walker because Tripps can't and doesn't track back, he remains out of the game, we are left exposed. This happens many times, more so when Traipps opts to cross because they are low %, that means we lose the ball more because that's really all he does, cross the ball, lose the ball (Hey there is the Title to Trips documentary gat the same ring to the new Barca one "Cross the ball, lose the ball").

2nd please do not give me Tripps attacking fucking stats, we are talking about him giving the fucking ball away, constantly, this season in almost every fucking game. Especially do not include his stats when he was at Burnley playing in the Championship, why would you do that, Oh I know it beefs ups the number to make it look good. His stats do not account for him not being a good footballer, not being able to pass the ball accurately and more importantly being able to pass out from the back. They don't show him getting beasted by a pacy opposition player, getting out jumped at his back post, getting played around as he's targeted.

We are a team that plays out from the back, HE DOESN'T, that alone makes him an utter liability. The stats don't show him unable to take on his opposing number. They also don't take into account that for City Walker is NOT an attacking FB, he is mostly deployed has City's deepest player, he his the guy they leave behind as he has the speed to cover their high-line, he is more an orthodox FB at City, certainly NOT a wing back. AGAIN this ain't the Kyle Walker thread it's the Trippier thread, it lit up yet again because he fucked up yet again!

Also go and read Lloris thread, JJ did that analysis on him too and whilst I agree his positioning was out, what JJ didn't cover was that Lloris had to sprint back 40yrd from the edge of his box, one Tripiers side of the pitch to get into position, I think this is a contributory factor in his error, ergo when you lose possession whilst your team has the ball and you are building an attack DON"T LOSE IT. If you do you have many players out of position facing the wrong way.

READ MY FUCKING POSTS FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE: I have said WE PLAY HIGH-RISK FOOTBALL, I actually fucking wrote these exact words further up in the thread!!! I also said I LOVE THIS and wouldn't want it any other way! Christ almighty!

I have also said that we are even more exposed than we were when we had Walker because Tripps can't and doesn't track back, he remains out of the game, we are left exposed. This happens many times, more so when Traipps opts to cross because they are low %, that means we lose the ball more because that's really all he does, cross the ball, lose the ball (Hey there is the Title to Trips documentary gat the same ring to the new Barca one "Cross the ball, lose the ball").

2nd please do not give me Tripps attacking fucking stats, we are talking about him giving the fucking ball away, constantly, this season in almost every fucking game. Especially do not include his stats when he was at Burnley playing in the Championship, why would you do that, Oh I know it beefs ups the number to make it look good. His stats do not account for him not being a good footballer, not being able to pass the ball accurately and more importantly being able to pass out from the back. They don't show him getting beasted by a pacy opposition player, getting out jumped at his back post, getting played around as he's targeted.

We are a team that plays out from the back, HE DOESN'T, that alone makes him an utter liability. The stats don't show him unable to take on his opposing number. They also don't take into account that for City Walker is NOT an attacking FB, he is mostly deployed has City's deepest player, he his the guy they leave behind as he has the speed to cover their high-line, he is more an orthodox FB at City, certainly NOT a wing back. AGAIN this ain't the Kyle Walker thread it's the Trippier thread, it lit up yet again because he fucked up yet again!

Also go and read Lloris thread, JJ did that analysis on him too and whilst I agree his positioning was out, what JJ didn't cover was that Lloris had to sprint back 40yrd from the edge of his box, one Tripiers side of the pitch to get into position, I think this is a contributory factor in his error, ergo when you lose possession whilst your team has the ball and you are building an attack DON"T LOSE IT. If you do you have many players out of position facing the wrong way.

There's so much hyperbolic bollocks in there, most of it is more of your made up nonsense opinion, presented as fact. Which is what you have a tendency of doing when you get called out on other stuff you've made up.

I'll give you his attacking stats because that's a major component of his remit. that is the fucking point. You acknowledge this is how we play, then choose to ignore it when assessing him, and then claim "by any metric Walker is better" which is utter crap.

And I've never, ever used his Burnley stats.

There's so much hyperbolic bollocks in there, most of it is more of your made up nonsense opinion, presented as fact. Which is what you have a tendency of doing when you get called out on other stuff you've made up.

I'll give you his attacking stats because that's a major component of his remit. that is the fucking point. You acknowledge this is how we play, then choose to ignore it when assessing him, and then claim "by any metric Walker is better" which is utter crap.

And I've never, ever used his Burnley stats.
I don't give a fuck about fucking Walker. I do give a fuck about Trips because he plays for Spurs and he routinely fucks us in the arse this season. He has been fuck dreadful.

I want an FB that can run with pace, pass out from the back. I want him to hold onto the ball more in the final third (not all the time) just enable us to keep the ball once in a while, give us some fucking variety and not cross so much and concede possession 95% of the time. I want an FB to be able to take on his man, commit him, get in behind him. And when we do lose the ball high up the pitch I want one that can get back and help his team out rather than be completely out the game.

There's no rocket science to this, there are no crappy assist stats padded up against Hull. Just a half decent footballer that can do all of the above, not a one trick pony.

I don't give a fuck about fucking Walker. I do give a fuck about Trips because he plays for Spurs and he routinely fucks us in the arse this season. He has been fuck dreadful.

I want an FB that can run with pace, pass out from the back. I want him to hold onto the ball more in the final third (not all the time) just enable us to keep the ball once in a while, give us some fucking variety and not cross so much and concede possession 95% of the time. I want an FB to be able to take on his man, commit him, get in behind him. And when we do lose the ball high up the pitch I want one that can get back and help his team out rather than be completely out the game.

There's no rocket science to this, there are no crappy assist stats padded up against Hull. Just a half decent footballer that can do all of the above, not a one trick pony.

Fella describes the best fb in world football as his wish list then says "is that too much to ask".

You've not really got the hang of this wish list thing, have you Guido.

Let me show how it works:

I'd like a midfielder that doesn't look like a baby elephant on PCP juggling a hand grenade.

Fella describes the best fb in world football as his wish list then says "is that too much to ask".

You've not really got the hang of this wish list thing, have you Guido.

Let me show how it works:

I'd like a midfielder that doesn't look like a baby elephant on PCP juggling a hand grenade.
There are many FB's that do exactly what I have listed. I'm not even saying they have to be World Class, these are fairly basic requirements from an FB. If your FB can't get up and down the pitch in the same game, then he isn't a very good FB. Tripps can't get up and down the pitch.

There are many FB's that do exactly what I have listed. I'm not even saying they have to be World Class, these are fairly basic requirements from an FB. If your FB can't get up and down the pitch in the same game, then he isn't a very good FB. Tripps can't get up and down the pitch.

You mean like Davies didn't get back for their goal? You like Davies right?

You mean like Davies didn't get back for their goal? You like Davies right?
He's a much better all-around option. Doesn't excel at anything. But the one thing he absolutely isn't is a calamity. In all the time he's played for us his only really had one shocker of a game, that was against Liverpool away about 3(??) seasons ago, but that was more on Poch.

He can also play CB in a three so far more tactically flexible than the one trick pony.

Back
Top Bottom