Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's quite obvious that teams target him.

Of course they target him, he is instructed to play so high up the pitch because of his excellent delivery, anyone with eyes can see that there will be space behind him. If we wanted Trippier to play more conservatively then we could do that, but that would be a waste of his attributes.

People have to accept that we play high risk football, Sissoko is not "babysitting" Trippier by helping him cover the right side. Trippier is instructed to carry the ball forward and play passes in behind and deliver crosses, Sissoko is instructed to patrol around him and be ready to defend if the opponent breaks away.

Trippier just played a bad pass and with Sissoko gone there wasn't a player ready to hassle Pogba when he received the ball from Lingard. We didn't have these problems last season and that's probably because we were able to field a more balanced midfield with Dier doing most of the ugly stuff every game. Playing a 442 diamond with Winks as the deepest midfielder is always going to cause some problems when we give the ball away but it brings the best our of our strikers, that's the risk we take with this system.

Going by your logic,

Lovren is a top 4 CB in PL
Davies is a top 3 LB in PL
Winks and Henderson are the best CMs in PL

#sammylogic #sammynomics

:goonermong::goonermong::goonermong::goonermong:

Clearly they are depending on how much they’ve contributed over a consistent period of that team being top three or four though.

If Lovren has been a first choice CB while Liverpool have consistently been a top 4 team, then how isn’t he a top 4 CB?
The real question is how long have Liverpool been a top 4 side, and how much did Lovren play.

One minute top 3 isn’t enough and means little and we need silverware, then next you act like saying a player is top 3 means I said they are world class.

Why would Winks or Henderson be the best CMs in the PL when neither have consistently won the league?
You’re comparisons are just foolish

Of course they target him, he is instructed to play so high up the pitch because of his excellent delivery, anyone with eyes can see that there will be space behind him. If we wanted Trippier to play more conservatively then we could do that, but that would be a waste of his attributes.

People have to accept that we play high risk football, Sissoko is not "babysitting" Trippier by helping him cover the right side. Trippier is instructed to carry the ball forward and play passes in behind and deliver crosses, Sissoko is instructed to patrol around him and be ready to defend if the opponent breaks away.

Trippier just played a bad pass and with Sissoko gone there wasn't a player ready to hassle Pogba when he received the ball from Lingard. We didn't have these problems last season and that's probably because we were able to field a more balanced midfield with Dier doing most of the ugly stuff every game. Playing a 442 diamond with Winks as the deepest midfielder is always going to cause some problems when we give the ball away but it brings the best our of our strikers, that's the risk we take with this system.
All teams that push their FB's up the pitch are vulnerable to the space they leave behind, it goes with the territory, it's the risk vs reward.

BUT

You can negate the risks if your FB can get back, I'm not talking about getting back into his own position, few can manage this but get back to cover the player that has been pulled into that position be that a CM/DM/CB. When Tripps is pushed on high up the pitch, he can't get back, he doesn't support the defence and we are a man light this could mean a 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 or worse our oppo has been aggressive too and has numerical supremacy. This scenario is amplified when Tripps crosses, despite the myth of his crossing ability almost all of his crosses end up in the hands of the opposition, this just increases the risk for the counter even more.

We actually did have these problems last season, last season was when we started the trend to concede more shots on our goal than in previous years, yes last year we still had a less injury prone Central Midfield compared to this years and we absolutely missed Wanyama's ability on the ball but since we lost (Walker) who would dominate and wear out his opponent and keep possession better in the final third our entire shape and balance is compromised in how we attack and defend.

The way we play the risk is always there, it's just with Tripps playing the risk is amplified considerably, we are far more vulnerable. All this is about our general play, it doesn't even bring into the topic of his actual ability to defend, playout from the back and pass the ball accurately.

Maybe this where we now realise what Dier does. With the full backs right up the pitch he used to drop in between the centre halves to make a three. Winks is not that sort of player so it doesn’t happen . Consequently we are short at the back when they break.

Maybe this where we now realise what Dier does. With the full backs right up the pitch he used to drop in between the centre halves to make a three. Winks is not that sort of player so it doesn’t happen . Consequently we are short at the back when they break.
Winks as been dropping back in between the CBs recently when the FBs have pushed forwards, he just offers less defensively when he does.

Seriously fed up of seeing his name on the team sheet. I'm not saying I want him out but he needs a break.

Not sure what's going on with Aurier off the field, so maybe it's time for KWP? Can't do much worse...

I maybe Pochs biggest fanboy and I'm not afraid to admit it but I don't get this one.

He is awful in one on one situations, gets caught out over the top all the time, day dreams in the box and hasn't got recovery pace. Poch keeps playing him though.

I just don't get it.

I don't normally criticise our players but I was really frustrated today with the number of times he gave the ball away with a straight forward pass. The rest of our team seem to have more confidence on the ball in tight situations.

Another shaky display. Guy is just bang average. Never takes a player on or even attempts to go down the byline. I mean, how fucking difficult is it to drop a shoulder, knock the ball forward and cross it? Need to upgrade in this position.

This is the player I see Trippier as. Way more than average, and a competent RB who suffers from dips in form like everyone else in the squad.

Personally, Im rooting for him to re find form and confidence rather than throw him under the bus while everyone else gets a free pass for being "fatigued".

And theres people who "feel sorry" for Llorente, or turn a blind eye to the 5 set pieces Eriksen blasted at the oppositions knees yesterday.....like hes done for the last 5 years

This is the player I see Trippier as. Way more than average, and a competent RB who suffers from dips in form like everyone else in the squad.

Personally, Im rooting for him to re find form and confidence rather than throw him under the bus while everyone else gets a free pass for being "fatigued".

And theres people who "feel sorry" for Llorente, or turn a blind eye to the 5 set pieces Eriksen blasted at the oppositions knees yesterday.....like hes done for the last 5 years

He's not good enough for this team and never will be - selected YouTube highlights can make even the biggest turd look decent - you're scrapping the bottom rn. He's behind KWP and Aurier - how is that even an argument?

He's not good enough for this team and never will be - selected YouTube highlights can make even the biggest turd look decent - you're scrapping the bottom rn. He's behind KWP and Aurier - how is that even an argument?

But selected highlights that actually happened week in week out for a season and a bit.
That how he played, and thats why hes good enough.

Behind KWP and Aurier? How? How are you even saying those words, when he´s first choice?

Back
Top Bottom