Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur 2/12/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or it could be a monkey gesture, he's doing the action, the picture captures that as a possibility so why is it wrong if some people think that based purely on that pose? We all judge people on what they say and do.

Out of interest, who the fuck are you to tell these good people on here if they are racist or not?? How about they decide for themselves.

That's interesting, so you are saying that jury got it wrong. But yet part of your argument is that I should accept that fellows explanation because he got cleared by the police.

Wrong? No they did the right thing if they felt there was a lack of evidence and it couldn’t be proved.

Maybe he was innocent, I wasn’t there

Or it could be a monkey gesture, he's doing the action, the picture captures that as a possibility so why is it wrong if some people think that based purely on that pose? We all judge people on what they say and do.
You aren't judging him on what he "says and does".

Look at this cunt taking the piss out of gays!!!!!!! It's a fucking disgrace, lock him up now.
Benedict-Cumberbatch-performs-Im-a-Little-Teapot.jpg

Or is he performing a nursery rhyme "I'm a little teapot" for kids?

Cyprus has loads of Turkish Cypriots who didn't go North when the place was invaded. Notwithstanding he was quoted as being a Greek Cypriot, so I am assuming that probably means that he speaks Cypriot Greek.

This quote was a big help

'I'm not racist. I'm actually a Greek Cypriot"
Fair enough, I just read the article for the first time.

Wrong? No they did the right thing if they felt there was a lack of evidence and it couldn’t be proved.

Maybe he was innocent, I wasn’t there
But you aren't giving that guy the benefit of the doubt even though he was cleared that's my point.

You aren't judging him on what he "says and does".

Look at this cunt taking the piss out of gays!!!!!!! It's a fucking disgrace, lock him up now.
Benedict-Cumberbatch-performs-Im-a-Little-Teapot.jpg

Or is he performing a nursery rhyme "I'm a little teapot" for kids?
Or is he just doing a hand puppet, either of those might be true, it's not wrong to judge based on the action that we see, we all do it consciously and subconsciously.

Or is he just doing a hand puppet, either of those might be true, it's not wrong to judge based on the action that we see, we all do it consciously and subconsciously.
And the point is we shouldn't. We should reign it in and at least acknowledge that it's not a moving picture, there's no sound.

The thing for me is the media's role, they manipulate. They posted a photograph with a headline and that was it. My failsafe is I ask myself do I want to be manipulated, then ask if I am being manipulated. I try to approach things from this angle then take it from there. Just this approach at least gives me time to look for things whilst everyone else has already made up their minds.

(there are times I deliberately don't allow to do this, there are times I want to be a cunt and a wind up because that's the desired outcome I'm looking for see Boltonspur Boltonspur 's posts a few pages back. If I want Chelsea to look like a racist club because something has been presented in the press as such I'm posting it, retweeting it, joining in with those pointing the fingers without any evidence other than what's been presented to me in The Sun)

But you aren't giving that guy the benefit of the doubt even though he was cleared that's my point.

No because I personally find it hard to believe that several people would just make up he also said stuff about "gassing the Jews".
However, I was not on the jury, so will not say they made a mistake. They gave a verdict they though just, given the evidence. Thats the law, and thats democratic.

Your comparisons are always flawed.

I have not said that I the guy who threw the banana deserves the benefit of the doubt because he was aquitted in court. Or just because the charges were lowered and the race element taken out.

I made my opinion based on the the actual fact, that the banana skin was'nt thrown until there were six Woolwich players in a group, gloating at the away end causing immense anger. Then on top of that, eye witness accounts, the guys own account, and the police charges being dramatically reduced all strengthen my initial hunch.

You keep comparing different situations and assuming that every opinion has to be identical just because they all involve racism.

Last edited:
No because I personally find it hard to believe that several people would just make up he also said stuff about "gassing the Jews".
However, I was not on the jury, so will not say they made a mistake. They gave a verdict they though just, given the evidence. Thats the law, and thats democratic.

Your comparisons are always flawed.

I have not said that I the guy who threw the banana deserves the benefit of the doubt because he was aquitted in court. Or just because the charges were lowered and the race element taken out.

I made my opinion based on the the actual fact, that the banana skin was'nt thrown until there were six Woolwich players in a group, gloating at the away end causing immense anger. Then on top of that, I witness accounts, they guys own account, and the police charges being dramatically reduced all strengthen my initial hunch.

You keep comparing different situations and assuming that every opinion has to be identical just because they all involve racism.
You find it hard to believe but the Jury have cleared him yet you still think he was guilty. Which therefore means that the jury got their decision wrong in your view doesn't matter if you say the jury made a mistake or not.

You keep mentioning the gloating as if that excuses the guy throwing the banana skin, it doesn't. Furthermore just as your opinion doesn't tally with the jury, my opinion doesn't have to tally with the police.

I'm just trying to find some consistency with the way you judge situations and so far I've failed to see any.

I don't mind it actually, it's good that they are so passionate about the NLD. I hope our players do the same when we beat them.

I prefer our players caring during the game. And then couldn't give a shit about them otherwise. The whole "North London is Red" tweeting by Woolwich players just strikes me of this:

article-2645961-1E66260C00000578-361_634x414.jpg

This is the highlight of their season

You find it hard to believe but the Jury have cleared him yet you still think he was guilty. Which therefore means that the jury got their decision wrong in your view doesn't matter if you say the jury made a mistake or not.

It doesnt mean they got it wrong, it means they made a decision based on the evidence presented. If you have doubts, you cant convict.
I wasnt on the jury....from the small article in the Manchester Evening News, I find it odd that people would make up the racist comments he was supposed to be shouting.

But I wasnt on the Jury. I dont know what evidence came forward in light of that.
I have already said I could be wrong and he could be innocent. I make a judgement on what is presented, but dont use a blanket rule that anyone and everyone accused of racism is guilty.

You keep mentioning the gloating as if that excuses the guy throwing the banana skin, it doesn't. Furthermore just as your opinion doesn't tally with the jury, my opinion doesn't have to tally with the police.

I'm just trying to find some consistency with the way you judge situations and so far I've failed to see any.

The gloating was the reason people got angry enough to throw things. It doesnt excuse throwing anything, but it is still the reason. Had they celebrated with their own fans, it wouldnt have happened.
It was also not the case that the guy specifically picked a banana to make a statement. As opposed to hissing gas chamber noises. The banana was just there, and it if was a can of coke, he would have thrown that too.

Your view doesnt have to tally with the police. But its weird that it tallied just fine with the Alves incident, to the point where you used the police decision as some kind of proof of guilt.

You are looking for consistency in how I judge situations. There is a reason you have failed to see any, because every situation you have presented has been different, so Ive judged them differently. Ive judged them by their own specific account.

I dont judge the guy who threw the banana skin on the Alves incident. And I dont judge the Alves incident on 300 Chelsea fans imitating the gas chamber.

In a murder trial, does the prosecution bring ten irrelevant murder cases to the table to show that this guy must have done this one?

Last edited:
On historical grounds.

As has been said, this is the first time (from what I've researched) a banana/skin thrown towards black player/s has been deemed not racist.

When I saw it the Alves incident flashed through my head. Roberto Carlos. Roma. Etc.
True, but that doesn't mean that this individual person was doing it for a racist reason. There's no way we can know that without getting into his head. Maybe not without entering into his unconscious, even. There is no other evidence, that we know of, of him being racist. So you either take his word for it, or you don't.

IMO the fairer course of action, which reflects a more positive view of human beings, is to take his word for it, given what we know. I would hope that if I ever made a stupid mistake, other Spurs supporters would adopt that attitude towards me.

Back
Top Bottom