Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur 2/12/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably some, but as I said, had a banana been directed soley at Aubameyang (which clearly wasnt the case) I doubt anyone here would defend him because he´s Spurs.

Everyone Ive read has said "if it turns out to be a racist incident, he deserves what he gets"..

The difference is that for some, the evidence points strongly towards a moment of madness and they believe the guy, and the police charge.
For others, the act itself is all that counts and they will never believe the guy isnt racist now and the police made a mistake.

This. Would not let it go unchallenged if i was at a match and someome yelled racist abuse/made racist gestures at any player. Or if they had specifically brought in bananas or whatever to throw at black player. You can trust me on that. Im sure someone will accuse me of protesting too much & that makes me 'suspicious'.

Probably some, but as I said, had a banana been directed soley at Aubameyang (which clearly wasnt the case) I doubt anyone here would defend him because he´s Spurs.

Everyone Ive read has said "if it turns out to be a racist incident, he deserves what he gets"..

The difference is that for some, the evidence points strongly towards a moment of madness and they believe the guy, and the police charge.
For others, the act itself is all that counts and they will never believe the guy isnt racist now and the police made a mistake.
Again this why I bought up the Alves incident, there is no need for me to explain again you already know.
I don't believe I'm wrong to think as I do, the bottom line is whether you agree or disagree with me, if the guy had not committed that act, we wouldn't be discussing this, I wouldn't be thinking the way I do.
He is the one ultimately to blame.

Does anyone have an answer to this btw?

Because I sure as hell don't if we're to follow the new guidelines.
Right,without being dragged into this...
If opposition fans hiss at us,there is only one thing they mean,surely? The could boo, they chose to hiss.And normally do it for at least a minute at a time,so have plenty of time for it to sink in what they were doing.
The fella threw what he had in his hand, a Banana skin after eating a Banana,a split second decision,without thinking,.Its could so easily have been a half a Pasty or Mars bar.

That's my take on it.

Does anyone have an answer to this btw?

Because I sure as hell don't if we're to follow the new guidelines.
If some peoples arguments follow than they will have to be given the benefit of the doubt.
E.g The hissing is just showing displeasure not the sound of a gas chamber.

On a serious note, I can genuinely see both sides here. It looks bad. Very, very bad. It’s all over the news. Pictures, videos, the lot. And if it was a fan from another club, I wouldn’t look any deeper into it and happily fling the “racist cunts” abuse at them. It’s a bloody big stick to beat them with.
But...apart from being an absolute bell end by throwing anything at all, not stopping to think that there are probably 59000 cameras in that stadium (on top of the TV cameras) & what he had picked up to throw has dreadful historical connotations to it, he seems to have been believed by the Police. 100% had they been able to prove it was racially motivated, it would have been charged as racially motivated.
A lot of people who were sat/stood around him seem to have confirmed that he picked up a discarded object and threw it. I’d like to think that if there had been a suggestion he was acting in a racist manner, those around him would have lynched him there and then. That’s always been the impression I’ve had of our fans.
In addition to this, it was said the incident was "under investigation". This means they would have viewed CCTV evidence to corroborate this as what no doubt happened, they would have been able to to see a 10yrs old boy eat it, discard it on the floor and then subsequntly seen the fan in question act in a fit of rage (just as other fans did and just as their fans did following Dier goal) pick it up and chuck it at a whole group of Woolwich players.

Had it been a racist the following some or all would have to have been prevalent:
1. Most likely the banana would have to be his and brought by him with the intent to throw (although not obviously there are mitigations around this and isn't ultimate proof of anything).
2. Highly likely it wouldn't have been consumed/eaten (again not proof of anything). It's absolutely easier to throw when uneaten and if the intent is to single out a black player then this would have been easier to do if it was whole. And finally, we've all seen pictures of actual racist incidents with the use of a banana, in all (at least with my memory) they've all been whole. (Yes this is a very minor point and proves jack shit, I get that but just pointing out some differences).
3. There are fans around him that can also corroborate his story (poster on here and maybe as part of the investigation they spoke with others and maybe the boy/Dad who's banana it was).
4. Had it have been racially motivated he might also have shouted abuse to that effect too?? Or done a monkey chant, or even mimicked those actions too??
ribng.jpg

5. It's illegal to throw anything onto the field of play, he's being done for that as he should.
6. The Club also need to reevaluate its ban in line with the offence. Had it have been racist, ban the cunt for life, but it's not, so ban him for however long the club would normally do so for chucking an object onto the pitch.

Finally, we all get why the racist reference was made, history has dictated that the association throwing a banana onto a football pitch ensures this. It look bad within that backdrop, it was made to look bad also by uploading a picture showing the black player as the intended target, that feeds the narrative, had the other pictures also have been used (with a group of other players mostly white) then the historical connotations and references might not have triggered racist behaviour.

This situation reminds me of this brilliant advert from a few years ago, it sums up exactly what has just happened, trust me it's well worth watching.

1. to express disapproval of by hissing:The audience hissed the controversial play.
  2. to silence or drive away by hissing (usually followed by away, down, etc.):They hissed down the author when he tried to speak.
  3. to utter with a hiss.
noun
  1. a hissing sound, especially one made in disapproval.
Origin of hiss
1350–1400; Middle English hissen; probably imitative; compare Old English hyscan to jeer at, rail (derivativeof husc jeering; cognate with Old Saxon, Old High German hosc )

If some peoples arguments follow than they will have to be given the benefit of the doubt.
E.g The hissing is just showing displeasure not the sound of a gas chamber.

Oh dear. You genuinely can't see that the unmeditated actions of an individual in the heat of the monent is differnt to a group of people coordinating a chant/song/hissing which needs someone to start it and large groups of others willinly join in are completely different?

Right,without being dragged into this...
If opposition fans hiss at us,there is only one thing they mean,surely? The could boo, they chose to hiss.And normally do it for at least a minute at a time,so have plenty of time for it to sink in what they were doing.
The fella threw what he had in his hand, a Banana skin after eating a Banana,a split second decision,without thinking,.Its could so easily have been a half a Pasty or Mars bar.

That's my take on it.

I’m not sure they do gas chamber hissing in a spontaneous moment of rage without thinking it’s racist, because it was the quickest noise they could make
But if we're no longer taking historical significance into account and cannot assume. Then all those around him say it wasn't an antisemitic gesture and he denies it. Exactly what our guy has done, then what?

Or is it only Spurs that are to be believed in this instance?

What a about monkey chant? A nazi salute? All can be spun into something else if those around them back it up and they deny it.

We are choosing to believe this guy, due to his explanation of his actions. But then we wouldn't for other historically racist actions if performed by anyone other than Spurs.

Seems odd to me, that.

In addition to this, it was said the incident was "under investigation". This means they would have viewed CCTV evidence to corroborate this as what no doubt happened, they would have been able to to see a 10yrs old boy eat it, discard it on the floor and then subsequntly seen the fan in question act in a fit of rage (just as other fans did and just as their fans did following Dier goal) pick it up and chuck it at a whole group of Woolwich players.

Had it been a racist the following some or all would have to have been prevalent:
1. Most likely the banana would have to be his and brought by him with the intent to throw (although not obviously there are mitigations around this and isn't ultimate proof of anything).
2. Highly likely it wouldn't have been consumed/eaten (again not proof of anything). It's absolutely easier to throw when uneaten and if the intent is to single out a black player then this would have been easier to do if it was whole. And finally, we've all seen pictures of actual racist incidents with the use of a banana, in all (at least with my memory) they've all been whole. (Yes this is a very minor point and proves jack shit, I get that but just pointing out some differences).
3. There are fans around him that can also corroborate his story (poster on here and maybe as part of the investigation they spoke with others and maybe the boy/Dad who's banana it was).
4. Had it have been racially motivated he might also have shouted abuse to that effect too?? Or done a monkey chant, or even mimicked those actions too??
ribng.jpg

5. It's illegal to throw anything onto the field of play, he's being done for that as he should.
6. The Club also need to reevaluate its ban in line with the offence. Had it have been racist, ban the cunt for life, but it's not, so ban him for however long the club would normally do so for chucking an object onto the pitch.

Finally, we all get why the racist reference was made, history has dictated that the association throwing a banana onto a football pitch ensures this. It look bad within that backdrop, it was made to look bad also by uploading a picture showing the black player as the intended target, that feeds the narrative, had the other pictures also have been used (with a group of other players mostly white) then the historical connotations and references might not have triggered racist behaviour.

This situation reminds me of this brilliant advert from a few years ago, it sums up exactly what has just happened, trust me it's well worth watching.

The guy could say that he was just scratching his armpits not making a monkey gesture.

This is such a grey area, and people here have taken such a stand that I find it very hard that we can ever call out any individual ever again unless they use explicit language.

Actions can be spun, words can't. So it'll have to literally be a slur from now on to have any sort of certainty.

If that's the case, it's dangerous territory.

Someone makes a monkey gesture and I go ''oi, cut that out''...then he goes ''what you on about, I'm scratching my armpits.''. Then his similarly minded mates back him up.

Seems we're giving people an easy out.

Oh dear. You genuinely can't see that the unmeditated actions of an individual in the heat of the monent is differnt to a group of people coordinating a chant/song/hissing which needs someone to start it and large groups of others willinly join in are completely different?
To me its very clear, I'm just saying if we're following the line of people being given the benefit of the doubt then the hissing can be construed as something else, a group just showing disapproval.

But if we're no longer taking historical significance into account and cannot assume. Then all those around him say it wasn't an antisemitic gesture and he denies it. Exactly what our guy has done, then what?

Or is it only Spurs that are to be believed in this instance?

What a about monkey chant? A nazi salute? All can be spun into something else if those around them back it up and they deny it.

We are choosing to believe this guy, due to his explanation of his actions. But then we wouldn't for other historically racist actions if performed by anyone other than Spurs.

Seems odd to me, that.
See Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor 's post above.

His post is about groups. Groups hissing is obvious. I'm talking about individuals, where it becomes a lot greyer.
Ah, ok.Fair point....But only if its a one off,and not repeatedly through the match,like what happens in reality.
Likewise, if the fella had been launching banana skins through out Sundays game, i would not be writing this.

Ah, ok.Fair point....But only if its a one off,and not repeatedly through the match,like what happens in reality.
Likewise, if the fella had been launching banana skins through out Sundays game, i would not be writing this.
This is what I mean in my example. Fella does it, gets called out, shits it as he didn't expect to, lies, mates back it, doesn't do it again. Racist gets away with it. But the guy that calls him out looks the pillock, so he'll never be standing up against it again.

Just putting up examples that test this framework.

I think if you launch one banana/skin, you won't get a chance to throw another. Not in England anyway.

The guy could say that he was just scratching his armpits not making a monkey gesture.
Yep, now you are getting it. But it was investigated, not only was he seen doing in a still photograph, he was also viewed in moving pictures, he was also heard by those around him and his intended victim Dwight Yorke chanting Oooo-Oooo noises whilst doing it. He also pleaded guilty as charged, so yeah apart from this he could have been scratching his armpits. (annoyingly the cunt was only banned from football for 5yrs!!).

Do you not see the differences in this case to the incident that has just happened?

Yep, now you are getting it. But it was investigated, not only was he seen doing in a still photograph, he was also viewed in moving pictures, he was also heard by those around him and his intended victim Dwight Yorke chanting Oooo-Oooo noises whilst doing it. He also pleaded guilty as charged, so yeah apart from this he could have been scratching his armpits. (annoyingly the cunt was only banned from football for 5yrs!!).

Do you not see the differences in this case to the incident that has just happened?
I think his point is, without the recorded evidence and just a simple confrontation from fellow fans it's easy to get away with by lying about your motives.

Not all racism at football is caught on camera. I've heard some vile things at football grounds.

Back
Top Bottom