Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur 2/12/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True, but that doesn't mean that this individual person was doing it for a racist reason. There's no way we can know that without getting into his head. Maybe not without entering into his unconscious, even. There is no other evidence, that we know of, of him being racist. So you either take his word for it, or you don't.

IMO the fairer course of action, which reflects a more positive view of human beings, is to take his word for it, given what we know. I would hope that if I ever made a stupid mistake, other Spurs supporters would adopt that attitude towards me.
I'm talking about the initial presumption of racism. I've since changed my stance in light of new evidence.

But at the time, what else was there to think but associating a banana on a football pitch as racism.

Re Bananagate. A view from RAWK.

“To be fair to Spurs, they really aren't that kind of fanbase - they have one of the most ethnically diverse sets of match going supporters in the country and are themselves victims to antisemetic racial abuse far too often, so I hope they root out this crap and make a proper stand against it. Worrying if this is a sign that the increasing racial abuse that has reared its ugly head in Britain post-Brexit is creeping back into football.”

The banana incident reminds me a bit of the incident when someone threw a smoke bomb on the pitch at Villa.

Most people initially assumed he had intended to strike the lino, and he should be banned etc. Then it came out that the story was more complex. Someone let off a smoke bomb. Put it underneath someone else's seat. He wanted to get rid of it (scared of getting chucked out, reasonably) and threw it up the gangway. Then the thrower picked it up and threw it on the pitch, just to get rid of it. Unfortunately it hit the lino.

The hang 'em, flog 'em brigade said make an example out of him, he should be banned etc. Personally I think none of the three people involved did anything that bad, but unfortunately it ended in someone getting a (non-serious) injury they didn't deserve. Similarly it seems here that there was no racial intent but perhaps some people were harmed (emotionally) in a way which probably wasn't intended.

I know it's not quite the same because some harm was still intended, which means the more authoritarian elements of our support lose sympathy for the person involved.

Well let's hand out coins at the turnstilest to chuck at the opposition!
Your argument is crazy. Just because there's a slight chance let's ignore that chance?
Anyone who throws objects on the pitch gets a life ban. Nice and simple. Put up signs at the turnstiles.
I think some people are just naturally more authoritarian than others. And some people, like myself, see football as a place where the ordinary rules in society shouldn't be quite so strictly applied, so we can all let out some steam, create an atmosphere and enjoy ourselves. It's a balance and obviously there have to be some rules; I'm not saying anything goes, and definitely not racism. But if we had it the way of some posters on here, it would not be long until it would be like watching Wimbledon (tennis not AFC)- no standing, no swearing, no talking when the ball is in play.

In the interview he said his actions were sparked by a single player.

From the interview he doesnt name any players, and the account from the guy that claimed to know him said it was at Bellerin

“I apologise if I have offended anyone from both clubs, especially Tottenham. It was a mad thing I did and I never meant to offend anyone in any way. I have been charged with throwing an object. I am not charged with anything racist. The police were happy to accept it was not racist. I have made a big mistake and I am sincerely sorry for it.

“Without thinking, I picked up this banana skin and threw it on the edge of the pitch. I didn’t throw it at the players. It was just on the edge of the pitch. It is totally out of character. I didn’t think of the racist connotations.”

The FA have dropped their probe into the flash-point after police ruled the incident was not racially aggravated

Lets hope the club see sense now. Right boys, Im genuinely out of this one now

Very good. Back in the 60s, Skins were very mixed between white & black kids. The white kids loved the music & still do. It was only later that Skins became associated with right wing politics with Chelsea one of the main culprits for letting the far right get a foothold in football.

I've never bought into this inherent Racism dogma. When i was a child in the east end, coming from Irish stock my family were a natural target for bigots This was on a daily, sometimes hourly basis.
The natural level of this was that for every knuckle dragging Englishman, the were scores of others who treated us the same as everyone else.
My dad was universally known as 'Mick,' to his workmates just as a Scot would be 'Jock' etc. There was no, and still isn't, any derogatory meaning to the name.Ignorance like this will never respond to logic as it is impossible to reason a man out of a position that he hasn't reasoned himself into in the first place.
Know these people for what they are. I have always used the experience to reaffirm how far I have evolved, but then again I was brought up right.
I do draw the line however, at explaining what love is to a bloody foreigner.
:dierno:

The banana incident reminds me a bit of the incident when someone threw a smoke bomb on the pitch at Villa.

Most people initially assumed he had intended to strike the lino, and he should be banned etc. Then it came out that the story was more complex. Someone let off a smoke bomb. Put it underneath someone else's seat. He wanted to get rid of it (scared of getting chucked out, reasonably) and threw it up the gangway. Then the thrower picked it up and threw it on the pitch, just to get rid of it. Unfortunately it hit the lino.

The hang 'em, flog 'em brigade said make an example out of him, he should be banned etc. Personally I think none of the three people involved did anything that bad, but unfortunately it ended in someone getting a (non-serious) injury they didn't deserve. Similarly it seems here that there was no racial intent but perhaps some people were harmed (emotionally) in a way which probably wasn't intended.

I know it's not quite the same because some harm was still intended, which means the more authoritarian elements of our support lose sympathy for the person involved.

The bloke was stood near me. It landed near his boy who was a bit frightened by it, so he got rid of it to remove the threat. He was supported by those of us present.

I've never bought into this inherent Racism dogma. When i was a child in the east end, coming from Irish stock my family were a natural target for bigots This was on a daily, sometimes hourly basis.
The natural level of this was that for every knuckle dragging Englishman, the were scores of others who treated us the same as everyone else.
My dad was universally known as 'Mick,' to his workmates just as a Scot would be 'Jock' etc. There was no, and still isn't, any derogatory meaning to the name.Ignorance like this will never respond to logic as it is impossible to reason a man out of a position that he hasn't reasoned himself into in the first place.
Know these people for what they are. I have always used the experience to reaffirm how far I have evolved, but then again I was brought up right.
I do draw the line however, at explaining what love is to a bloody foreigner.
:dierno:

When my old fella was in the Army every Irishman was Paddy, every Scotsman was Jock, Taff, Geordie, Brum, Scouse, Nobby or Chalky etc. Noone was offended and they would have all laid down their lives for each other. Like with most things, it generally comes down to context.

When my old fella was in the Army every Irishman was Paddy, every Scotsman was Jock, Taff, Geordie, Brum, Scouse, Nobby or Chalky etc. Noone was offended and they would have all laid down their lives for each other. Like with most things, it generally comes down to context.
There are very similar stories about black/hispanic soldiers in Vietnam.

But the Army life is not comparable with civvy life I'm afraid.

One of my best pals is an ex Royal Marine and some of the stuff his boys say to one another (and their stories) makes your skin crawl. But that's the military way.

Can't be equated to the general public.

This is my first post about the banana incident. I haven't gone back and read any of the other comments about this incident because obviously you're all a bunch of pricks :crouch:

Just wanted to say that a) judging by the photos of this bloke he looks well old enough to know what the connotations of throwing a banana skin on a pitch are, and b) who the fuck takes a banana to a football match :saha:

That is all.

Errr...irony and all that...

Racist Yid Cunt..SERIOUSLY couldn't make it up!

I trust the Twitterati have pulled him up on his abberation??
The timeline seems to make some pretty hilarious reading...

As someone else pointed out here, there were PLENTY of Gooners giving it the 'BIG NOSE' yesterday...
Just cos they now buy their Hummous from Waitrose, don't stop some Gooners from still being anti-Semitic.

I guess BOTH clubs have their share of cunty fans...
Maybe it's just a London thing, eh?

Last edited:

There is a whole industry grown up around perceived 'isms.' The difference is that we celebrated what united us, this generation seem determined to use it to divide us.

Back
Top Bottom