Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Liverpool dropped a level in the final 15 minutes and take anyone of the front 3 out and they become ordinary quite quickly. I honestly think there weakness is so fundamental that they won’t win the league under Plopp. They will ( and do ) blow out after 75 minutes and if the game is close they are knackered and prone to panic. As unlikely as it would have been we could have had 2-2 yesterday, principally due to them blowing through their arses for best part of 20 minutes.
And we were blowing out of our arses for the first 90. Unfortunately, I think Liverpool have a better side than we do, but regardless of whether or not they win the league, the one thing you can bet your house on is that we won't be challenging for any of the big prizes this season. If we manage to tread water, we'll have done alright.

We've been neck and neck with Liverpool for 10 years, pipping them in the table positions, but not much between us.

Yesterday was reality check. Liverpool have a perfect storm of massive funds and astute purchases. I love Poch and the team, but I can see a chasm starting to open up between us after watching that game. Can we get more than a point at Anfield? wouldn't bet on it.

Worst game of Poch era. No fucking doubt. Losing is fine. But being a bunch of pussies and failing to do the basics of football is anecdotal. Rose and dier were criminally sloppy. I wouldn’t do worst than dier. At least I would try to do short passes that would not allow a thousand counters to a team that relies on them. And vertonghen as to be more careful. Firmino eye was “lucky” to not get seriously fucked up.

And we were blowing out of our arses for the first 90. Unfortunately, I think Liverpool have a better side than we do, but regardless of whether or not they win the league, the one thing you can bet your house on is that we won't be challenging for any of the big prizes this season. If we manage to tread water, we'll have done alright.
Spurs weren't blowing. To be honest they were never out of 3rd gear in the first 75 minutes. Lacklustre, non committed in the tackle, determined to slow down everything. I cannot find any positives in our play. So can’t say they were “tired. It was only when Liverpool dropped that anything sustained was achieved by our side. But Liverpool dropped because their bench is not as good as their starting team and also they worked very hard.

Prior to that 75 minute point all we showed were pockets of play, eg. A moment from Lucas. It was very similar to how Spurs would play Liverpool in the 90’s. Never really being in a game.

Spurs weren't blowing. To be honest they were never out of 3rd gear in the first 75 minutes. Lacklustre, non committed in the tackle, determined to slow down everything. I cannot find any positives in our play. So can’t say they were “tired. It was only when Liverpool dropped that anything sustained was achieved by our side. But Liverpool dropped because their bench is not as good as their starting team and also they worked very hard.

Prior to that 75 minute point all we showed were pockets of play, eg. A moment from Lucas. It was very similar to how Spurs would play Liverpool in the 90’s. Never really being in a game.
Yes, I think we are on the same wavelength here. I was being a bit glib in my previous reply. We were very lethargic (or shite, if you prefer)-what the reasons for that were, I do not know.

Please don't blame the venue, it's a bit cheap.

We had full season there beating rm, liverpool, dortmund, manure and many more.

The venue doesn't help but ultimately it's down to the team. Every team that's played us so far seem to have more energy than we do which is either alarming or tactically Poch has told them to take it easy so we don't burn out too quickly.

Personally I think the lack of form from Eriksen and Dele not playing does us so much more damage than people realise. Our off the ball movement when in possession concerns me as you can't create space if you're static. The pressing I am not that fussed about but the off ball movement needs to improve, as does our passing, ball retention and patience. The sooner we are back home, the quicker we get a spring in our step, the better

Is it harsh though? Not talking about you or anything ..but people tend to get overexcited by academy players.

Its not like hes some tough tackler like Dier, Mousa, Wanyama and he doesnt have the passing ability of Eriksen or Lamela either. Havent seen great pace or anything like Son/Lucas. And not a goalscorer like Kane/Alli. Just dont see him as good enough for the team.

Last season he got 1 assist to his name from 1200 pl/cl minutes. Sissoko had 2 assists and a goal. in slightly more minutes. Some people haaate on Sissoko as if he screwed their mums but players who came from the academy are superstars while playing no better.

If assists are what you track for a player like Winks, you are always going to be disappointed. Modric when he played for us struggled to tally up the scorecard stats. Winks isn’t Modric, but that’s the position he plays. Keeps the ball moving and if you can’t see that then, you will forever hate him.

He isn’t a tackler, but he should be in a midfield 2 or 3 of footballers, not Dier’s and broken down Dembele’s.

Did you see him against Real? Dortmund? Before his injury he was unstoppable and if he was healthy, I am confident second place was ours. His skill set is what we are crying out for in Midfield and I am hoping him and Wanyama can stay healthy to form the CM2 we need.

All of our rivals and West Spam win does it get any worse,never mind our next 4 league games (Brighton,Hudders,Cardiff and Spammers)are very winnable as long as we pull our fucking socks up and start playing to our true potential COYS

Well I slept on it and basically feel even worse today because I think yesterday's performance was a symptom of something worse. I don't like the way we are set up. The team seem stressed. Lucas stood out, and that is not because he is amazing (though credit to him) it is because others who have been here longer seem disillusioned. I don't think they believe they can take that next step as a team and I'm sure some are thinking about what's next for them elsewhere.

I can't remember the last time we made so many basic mistakes. Honestly, I don't think Liverpool should be sucked off, we were really pretty poor yesterday and gifted them a lot yet they only won by one goal in the end. I don't see this as us being beaten by a great team, champions elect, we don't have that excuse, it's about how lacking we are.

I don't want to give the impression I am melting, I'm not saying we are junk, we've buckets of talent and a great manager still, but I am disappointed that we seem to have failed to progress, and perhaps we have regressed in fact. It's a long season, I hope whatever is wrong gets sorted out quick, and we can step things up, but it doesn't look simple to me.

Yeah if we don't qualify for Champs league this season. Everything we built will start unravelling very quickly.

The wiring and safety systems were fucked, but I think the foundations are solid. So I don’t think that finishing outside the top four will make them fail. The stadium should stay intact.

If assists are what you track for a player like Winks, you are always going to be disappointed. Modric when he played for us struggled to tally up the scorecard stats. Winks isn’t Modric, but that’s the position he plays. Keeps the ball moving and if you can’t see that then, you will forever hate him.

He isn’t a tackler, but he should be in a midfield 2 or 3 of footballers, not Dier’s and broken down Dembele’s.

Did you see him against Real? Dortmund? Before his injury he was unstoppable and if he was healthy, I am confident second place was ours. His skill set is what we are crying out for in Midfield and I am hoping him and Wanyama can stay healthy to form the CM2 we need.
Ive noticed you seem to like him very much. But really we need someone way better than him. If he had played more last season instead of Dier/Dembele or others I am confident we would have missed out top 4.

Back
Top Bottom