Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The defence doesn't seem as confident with him in goal, hardly ever keeps a clean sheet.
Would still keep him in though for next two games see how it goes, then maybe time for Gazzaniga from the league cup game.

Awful yesterday and was a penalty.

Word-up to Milner.

That is some professional irrespective of who he plays for.

Liverpool won't play better all season although they may score more.

We can and critically will.
Liverpool didn't play that well, their finishing was poor and they hardly swarmed us like they did two seasons ago at Anfield. It was more a case of we were that shit and clueless, which makes it that much more irksome.

Yep, men walking around in Liverpool scarves on full display in the home section. Embarrassing
To be fair, THE HALF AND HALF scarves being worn by SPURS fans were worse!

I can understand that away fans would easily be able to get tickets in the home end at Wembley... especially when they were SO easily available...
We'd have tried it if it were the other way around.

It's the red smoke flare I'm still surprised they akways manage to sneak in...
Man Utd fans had one at the Semi final last season...
Do they NOT CHECK pre match...?
I was virtually given a prostate examination when I was being searched!
:pochshock2::hugoshock:

By the way, I see Jan is getting a taste of his own medicine if you put these two smilies together...
:vert::sonpoint:

The defence doesn't seem as confident with him in goal, hardly ever keeps a clean sheet.
Would still keep him in though for next two games see how it goes, then maybe time for Gazzaniga from the league cup game.

The defence keeps conceding shots and chances, they keep getting turned and the spate of rash challenges outside the area is concerning. It only really matters that Vorm is poor becuase those around him are not shutting out the chances in the first place. It’s becoming reactive defending and last ditch. The anticipation is not there. Consider Ledley or Dawson to explain what I mean.

Seems if the midfield shape is wrong then the fall backs suffer and get caught high up the pitch and we can’t play out. We start going longer and we concede the ball too quickly.

Anyone with more tactical knowledge counter this view ? I am a bit Dim Tim with tactics so I might be well wrong.

Vorm’s had his day. He is the definition of a goal a game keeper and there is no evidence that he has ironed out his failings.

There has to be reasons why they keep turning to him when Hugo misses games, I wish it was obvious as to why.

His flap for the first goal was annoying. And then the fuck up for the second where is the command of the area ? This so soon after the Semi Final disaster. Evidence right there in one position why the squad is not strong enough.
Very true but it's not just the squad , the first 11 are not strong enough , this has been evident for a long time

Liverpool didn't play that well, their finishing was poor and they hardly swarmed us like they did two seasons ago at Anfield. It was more a case of we were that shit and clueless, which makes it that much more irksome.
Lucky they didn't, it would have been 10 nil if they were bang on form and on all cylinders.
Thank God for short mercies.

Vorm’s had his day. He is the definition of a goal a game keeper and there is no evidence that he has ironed out his failings.

There has to be reasons why they keep turning to him when Hugo misses games, I wish it was obvious as to why.

His flap for the first goal was annoying. And then the fuck up for the second where is the command of the area ? This so soon after the Semi Final disaster. Evidence right there in one position why the squad is not strong enough.

Vorm, like Llorente have a classic case of what I call "Fox-Sintonitis"... ie: always seemed to play well AGAINST us, so much so that we sign them... only for them to instantly turn to shit!

It's a weird conundrum!
Maybe we need to sign players that play well against OTHER teams in future, 'cos THAT'S who we need them to play well AGAINST!

Liverpool's tactics were brilliant. They weren't interested in dominating possession. They let us fanny around in areas where we could not hurt them and smothered us when we looked to work the ball through the middle third.

Last edited:
It kind of baffles me that people are looking to point out specific players who to blame for yesterday. While in truth it was just collective issue. I do not see how for example Kane could have done much when he did not have any service. Or what should have Moose done when everone around him did not press and be open to receive a pass?!?
We AS A TEAM did not even want to win it. Look how our players acted on the pitch. It was pretty painful watch. I'd say only ones who seemed to play for the win with their whole heart were Moura and Lamela. Others were much more passive.

Such a display hurts. And hurts a lot. But it hurts even more bcause -
1) It was 1st game of the weekend. Yea, like I would want to hear ANYTHING about football after such 90 minutes during this weekend anymore.
2) we have effecitvely undone EVERYTHING we managed with first games. We were 6p ahead of Manure and Scum. Now we sit on even points.
3) It came on the back of another lethargic display against Watford. I expected that players would want to put it right and bounce back with intent... buuuut it rather got worse.
4) It was not the result that rly hurt, it is more how we played. The lack of passion really showed. And this cannot be excused.

I would expect us to change a lot against Inter. I'd like to see Aurier, Davies, Wanyama, Son, Lamela all to start in places of Trippier, Rose, Dier, Eriksen and Winks. Also, it seems that Poch wanted to keep Moura momentum so bad that we now have played 2 games with 4-4-2 without CAM - yesterday it really meant that our attacking game plan was to play a long-ball ...

This game rly hurt, but we cannot write off our players for this one game. I really-really-really hope that different level of energy will be shown against Inter and then ALL of the first-teamers collectively get up to speed. Come on you Spurs! Let's turn the situation around now!!!

i would be playing gazzanigga in the league cup too cos we need to have an idea if he's good enough to play om at least a semi regular basis (one game against Palace , however well he played, aint enough) traditional role of the 3rd keeper is "someone to go in goal during shooting practice" .he's held that role at both Southampton and here under pochettino, so he's clearly some one that he trusts to do that job well. but at 26, its unlikely he is Lloris' successor. (lloris was capped at 21 and national captain by the time he was 24)

Direct speed? I don't understand.

I am still not convinced by this Lucas-Kane partnership.
The problem is Levy
He's more interested in the stadium than moving the team forward. And of course his chairman's millions. Unless we invest in new talent and direction, what can Pocchetino do?

Liverpool's tactics were brilliant. They weren't interested in dominating possession. They let us fanny around in areas where we could not hurt them and smothered us when we looked to work the ball through the middle third.
Liverpool dropped a level in the final 15 minutes and take anyone of the front 3 out and they become ordinary quite quickly. I honestly think there weakness is so fundamental that they won’t win the league under Plopp. They will ( and do ) blow out after 75 minutes and if the game is close they are knackered and prone to panic. As unlikely as it would have been we could have had 2-2 yesterday, principally due to them blowing through their arses for best part of 20 minutes.

The problem is Levy
He's more interested in the stadium than moving the team forward. And of course his chairman's millions. Unless we invest in new talent and direction, what can Pocchetino do?
Levy pisses me off, but let's not absolve Poch of all blame. His in-game management is very suspect, and his tactics and team selections are very curious at times.

We started slowly yesterday, and that's not a new thing where we are concerned. Half-time came and half-time went - no changes and again, we came out of the starting blocks like sloths. When a team is not psychologically prepared for a game, you have to ask questions of the manager.

Back
Top Bottom