Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought our midfield was an omnishambles at times today. Every single midfielder we have is deeply flawed, and Eriksen and Alli do their best work in the final third. We haven't got the type of players who can give us the right blend in midfield.

The last time I remember Dier, Dembele and Winks playing in midfield was at home to West Ham two years ago, and it was an appalling combination. And it's still an appalling combination.

Our midfield has needed surgery for as long as Poch has been here-not just this summer or the summer before that, but Poch seems to favour brutes. We need some fucking brains. Someone who can take the ball in a tight spot, and do something progressive with it.
Spot on with this assessment. And I don't think this is a bargain, all brawn and no brains, that needs to be made either.

I keep seeing people mention top class or world class midfielder is needed. But that is not true. We need competent and fundamentally sound midfielders. If we can achieve the results that we have with flawed players then how much better would we be with midfielders that can actually play? And we didn't 1 this summer we need 4 - 1 DM, 2 CMs and competition for Eriksen.

Chelsea won the league 2 seasons ago and how many midfielders have they brought in in the intervening transfer windows? Sure some have been shit but the recognition is there. And look at the effect Kovacic has had already in balancing their midfield.

So what we're all saying, without saying it, is that our midfield is missing Sissoko ...

Odd quirk of the stats ... last year Dippers had 64% possession lost 4-1 ... this year we had 60% possession and lost 2-1 .... maybe the secret is to give the ball away more?

Is it harsh though? Not talking about you or anything ..but people tend to get overexcited by academy players.

Its not like hes some tough tackler like Dier, Mousa, Wanyama and he doesnt have the passing ability of Eriksen or Lamela either. Havent seen great pace or anything like Son/Lucas. And not a goalscorer like Kane/Alli. Just dont see him as good enough for the team.

Last season he got 1 assist to his name from 1200 pl/cl minutes. Sissoko had 2 assists and a goal. in slightly more minutes. Some people haaate on Sissoko as if he screwed their mums but players who came from the academy are superstars while playing no better.
I agree that people get carried away with academy players; for instance, I think I was the first to say that I thought Luke Amos would never make it at Spurs and should not be near the first team squad. But I do understand why people do get carried away, don't you?
Winks is a young lad finding his way in the game who put in some great performances against some of the best teams in the world (actually, the best team in the world) but was derailed by an injury. Sissoko is an ex-international in the twilight of his career. The only way is down for Sissoko and he already isn't good enough. Winks can progress if he's given a chance and stays injury free.
Still, as I said, I think we needed to sign a number 8, but we didn't. Let's not slaughter Winks because of that

Anyone else a bit envious of some of the wingers a lot of the top clubs have? Neymar & Mbappe, Messi & Dembele, Mane & Salah, Bale & Asensio, Hazard & Hazard etc

Wish we had those caliber of players to surround around Harry, move Dele + Eriksen into midfield & then play a Kante/Casemiro type behind them.

It's why I was hoping we'd get both Zaha & Mahrez this summer. Genuinely feels like we're easier to defend against ever since 16/17. Feel we lack some unpredictability & dynamism in the side.

Our most important season in recent history?

Maybe an exaggeration, but I would say a very pivotal time in our history based on the past few years.
I dont want to overplay this, but to me this season will define us for years to come.

We no longer fly under the radar, and Im glad we dont. THe Club has earnt the right to be mentioned in the same category as the biggest in the the sport.

WE were / are building to something special, so to have a poor season this year would be very deflating.

Need to get back on track, secure a few solid wins, and as a consequence, dismiss the doubters.

Maybe an exaggeration, but I would say a very pivotal time in our history based on the past few years.
I dont want to overplay this, but to me this season will define us for years to come.

We no longer fly under the radar, and Im glad we dont. THe Club has earnt the right to be mentioned in the same category as the biggest in the the sport.

WE were / are building to something special, so to have a poor season this year would be very deflating.

Need to get back on track, secure a few solid wins, and as a consequence, dismiss the doubters.
I'm sure someone has posted this at the start of every season. I guess in a sense you are right, the current season is always the most important

I was really enjoying my nieces wedding until her sisters Scouse boyfriend decided he wanted to talk about football.

Looking through the match reports on line it looks like we have a worryingly exhausted squad of footballers who probably need a 4 week break

agree with you, but the trouble is Levy holds the purse strings, I don't know what Levy's thinking is, but it looks like he wants a fixed asset (NWHL) so the value of the club (shares) increase,
will spending big money on players and wages (for the 1st team) give a share price benefit ?
when we were always getting into the Uefa league I could see Levy's viewpoint of not buying big on the hope of CL football, but now we have had a few years of CL football I'm looking at it the other way spend big to keep us there.
but we all know Levy is not a gambler, we've had 2 Christmas windows when maybe if we spent some money we could have won the EPL (once with Harry, & the two horse race season), but Levy just let it go by

LLoris drinking spree has not only gained him points, but has cost Spurs points as well.Could have just asked the fa to deduct the points from our total and add them to his driving licence

Dare I say it but could have done with Sissoko this game.
Someone who grafts his balls off spoiling, winning the ball etc.

Would have been better to play Davies and Aurier in a back 4.

What with most of our team playing on Tuesday night, picking up knocks too for England & the KO time it may have been better to rest Dier, Trippier, Rose and Kane.

Wanyama and Lamela haven’t had much game time, just coming back from injure but Dier and Kane have had maybe too much.
We could have started with

Vorm
Aurier Alderwiereld Vertonghen Davies
Wanyama
Dembele Eriksen
Lamela Lucas
Son

Wanyama, Lamela and Lucas maybe would have been a bit more sharp and on it.
If they tire after 60 /70 mins you swap them and change formation.

Kane hasn’t been the same player since he had his kids.
It must take a toll on him, unless he doesn’t interact at all.
Factor that in with all the football and it’s a fucking miracle he has done so much.

He needs a little of the pressure taken off him.
But who else is there.
Lamela, Eriksen, Son and Lucas have goals in them.

If you give Kane a rest go with a mobile speedy front 3 imo.
Sissoko does help out Trippier and frees him up to get forward. Christ, who'd of thought we'd ever say we need Sissoko back. Dark days.

Vorm’s had his day. He is the definition of a goal a game keeper and there is no evidence that he has ironed out his failings.

There has to be reasons why they keep turning to him when Hugo misses games, I wish it was obvious as to why.

His flap for the first goal was annoying. And then the fuck up for the second where is the command of the area ? This so soon after the Semi Final disaster. Evidence right there in one position why the squad is not strong enough.

- Gazzaniga -

- Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose -

- Winks - Wanyama -

- Eriksen -

- Son - Kane - Lucas -
I know it’s easy to say now, but I think this is the line up we should have gone for, and should play against Brighton. If Dele is fit then he needs to play, it’s clear we missed him yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom