Spurs v Liverpool, 15th September, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But Everton havent finished top 4 for over 12 years and are generally quite crap.

We have finished above every single one of the top 5 over the last three seasons. There is not even a comparison to be had.
Well, I think the chances of Everton finishing in the top-four this season are reasonably similar to our chances of finishing first and both cases are pretty unlikely indeed.

Premier League Winner Betting Odds | Football

Premier League Top 4 Finish Betting Odds | Football

Last edited:
Well, I think the chances of Everton finishing in the top-four this season are reasonably similar to our chances of finishing first and both cases are pretty unlikely indeed.

Premier League Winner Betting Odds | Football

Premier League Top 4 Finish Betting Odds | Football

I dont care for betting odds, but I will say this.
Everton will not finish top 4, this year, or next, or the year after that.

As I said, we have finished above City twice, Woolwich twice, Liverpool 3 times, Utd twice and Chelsea twice over the last three seasons.

I have no idea why you are comparing us to Everton

I dont care for betting odds, but I will say this.
Everton will not finish top 4, this year, or next, or the year after that.

As I said, we have finished above City twice, Woolwich twice, Liverpool 3 times, Utd twice and Chelsea twice over the last three seasons.

I have no idea why you are comparing us to Everton
In the end it comes down to the fact that I think it is pretty unlikely that we finish first this season and I think deep down most of our players will agree with me on that one (it's perfectly fine that you have a different opinion), but they won't say it in public and there is absolute no need to do so. Of course they must try to finish as high as possible, but finishing third/fourth this seasons seems way more likely to me and it wouldn't by no means disappoint me.

In the end it comes down to the fact that I think it is pretty unlikely that we finish first this season and I think deep down most of our players will agree with me on that one (it's perfectly fine that you have a different opinion), but they won't say it in public and there is absolute no need to do so. Of course they must try to finish as high as possible, but finishing third/fourth this seasons seems way more likely to me and it wouldn't by no means disappoint me.

If they agree with you, then like you they have a loser's mentality.

Im glad I believe otherwise.....I would find it difficult to cheer on a team of loser's with zero self belief who have given up after 4 games. But enjoy the season anyway.

If they agree with you, then like you they have a loser's mentality.

Im glad I believe otherwise.....I would find it difficult to cheer on a team of loser's with zero self belief who have given up after 4 games. But enjoy the season anyway.
Thanks mate, I think we will have another very decent season, even a great season if we finish in the top-four and reach the quarter finals of the CL this time.

We have qualified for the champs league 3 times in a row - out of all the teams that have ever done that only ourselves and Liverpool have not either won the Premier League or gone on to win it within the following 2 seasons.

We should be aiming for top spot - what is a regular champions league team if not a team that has qualified 3 times in a row.

If we fail to get champions league this season does the whole process start again as "we're not a regular Champions league team".

We have a golden generation at Spurs and we should be winning stuff - talk of not doing it is just a comfort blanket for people to cling to if we don't win anything.

What I want to see from this game is a fast start, the kind of start we had in this fixture last season. The last 3 matches we've turned in an awful first half in each of them. In terms of shots on target we had 2 in the first half against Fulham, 1 against United and 0 against Watford. We need to come flying out of the traps and look to kill the game not just rest in possession at 0-0.

Liverpool have won all their matches this season by scoring early and coasting through the game on the counter attack, if we let them do that to us then we are in trouble because our defence is not yet ready to deal with Salah and Mane running into space.

We have qualified for the champs league 3 times in a row - out of all the teams that have ever done that only ourselves and Liverpool have not either won the Premier League or gone on to win it within the following 2 seasons.

We should be aiming for top spot - what is a regular champions league team if not a team that has qualified 3 times in a row.

If we fail to get champions league this season does the whole process start again as "we're not a regular Champions league team".

We have a golden generation at Spurs and we should be winning stuff - talk of not doing it is just a comfort blanket for people to cling to if we don't win anything.

Spend the whole summer demanding players because we should be going for the title, now we are just a good old top 4 and suddenly that’s a great season.

Did people really think signing Martial, DeLigt and Grealish would be the difference between 4th to champions?

Seems to me like people are a little all over the place with what they expect from the club.
Suddenly we have zero chance of a title and supposedly all the players know it.
Was everyone expecting us to sign Kante, Mane and Auguero then?

Because I don’t think the likes of Zaha and Ndombele and everyone else people were fawning over were going to fire us to glory, if we’re so far behind as things stand.

Beat Liverpool and the same people start waxing on about glory.....can’t see past one game that’s the problem.

Last edited:
Trippier---------Sanchez---------JV------------Davies

Eriksen---------Marsh/Skipp-----------Winks

Lamela--------Kane----------Moura

or

Trippier---------Sanchez---------JV------------Davies

Amos---------Marsh/Skipp---------Winks

Eriksen--------------All/Moura
Kane​

Necessity is the mother of invention, and we need to invent us a new midfield, one with a a bit of fucking vim.
Brave to play without a keeper, but it certainly would send out a strong statement.

Spend the whole summer demanding players because we should be going for the title, now we are just a good old top 4 and suddenly that’s a great season.

Did people really think signing Martial, DeLigt and Grealish would be the difference between 4th to champions?

Seems to me like people are a little all over the place with what they expect from the club.

Because I don’t think the likes of Zaha and Ndombele and everyone else people were fawning over were going to fire us to glory, if we’re so far behind as things stand.

Beat Liverpool and the same people start waxing on about glory.....can’t see past one game that’s the problem.

Exactly - when Kane put pen to paper does everyone think that he did so knowing that everyone is happy to get top four and nothing else? Course not - he believes we can win the league. We should be believing we can and if we're not then why not.

Believing we can win the league is not the same as thinking we have a God given right to win it before anyone starts harping on about arrogance and "this is our year" crap.

We are a good team, we are a settled team, we are at home - Liverpool are also a good team and should be shown respect but we must at least compete with them and take them all the way in this match.

Too many times we have lost matches like these before we have even kicked a ball as the old "well they're bigger and better than us" mindset kicks in and we lose it in our minds.

Lloris
Trippier, Toby, Sanchez, Verts, Rose
Demble Dele
Eriksen Kane Moura

Subs
Dier, Son, Lamela, Davies, Winks

Exactly - when Kane put pen to paper does everyone think that he did so knowing that everyone is happy to get top four and nothing else? Course not - he believes we can win the league. We should be believing we can and if we're not then why not.

Believing we can win the league is not the same as thinking we have a God given right to win it before anyone starts harping on about arrogance and "this is our year" crap.

We are a good team, we are a settled team, we are at home - Liverpool are also a good team and should be shown respect but we must at least compete with them and take them all the way in this match.

Too many times we have lost matches like these before we have even kicked a ball as the old "well they're bigger and better than us" mindset kicks in and we lose it in our minds.

Lloris
Trippier, Toby, Sanchez, Verts, Rose
Demble Dele
Eriksen Kane Moura

Subs
Dier, Son, Lamela, Davies, Winks

Couldn’t agree more......apparently half the team will be sold to Barca, Real, Utd, City and PSG if we don’t win anything.....but now we’ll be lucky to win a Carabou!
Weird how the same people who fear all our players and manager joining the elite are now comparing us to Everton.

Hey everyone. I accidentally bought two tickets for this Saturday match but for seniors. Now, I am reselling them at a 70% discount, as we do not classify as seniors :(. Is anyone interested or knows anyone else who might be? Or maybe you can suggest where should I post this? Many thanks in advance. Tudor

`
Hey everyone. I accidentally bought two tickets for this Saturday match but for seniors. Now, I am reselling them at a 70% discount, as we do not classify as seniors :(. Is anyone interested or knows anyone else who might be? Or maybe you can suggest where should I post this? Many thanks in advance. Tudor
did you phone the TO and explain? I would think they would let you pay the difference to upgrade.

With all stadium news , still waiting for ST packs and international farts, I am finding this season hard going. I haven't been to football match since Leicester 5-4 win ages ago so am going this weekend and hoping for a magnificent win.
COYS

Last edited:

Mate, I believe you are building yourself a case to argue against.

1) I would have liked us to sign someone to midfield. AND at the same time I was still not forecasting doom and gloom even though we did not. I do not believe that say signing N'Dombele would have increased our chances. Both things can be true at the same time.
2) I do not find it too likely that we will win the league. And I would not call season a huge dissapointment if we don't. I mean would you say that last 3 campaigns have been dissapointment?!? At the same time I without a doubt would HOPE and ROOT for us to win it. But still deep down, I find that is not likely. Yes, I believe we are capable of winning it. But there is more than our capability - few bricks have to fall into right places on top of that. And I would not be crying if they will not fall to the place they should and we'll end up in 2nd or 3rd place for example.

Such things are not down to one or two results. Most likely you just see different posters giving their view of things, that's all :) .

Mate, I believe you are building yourself a case to argue against.

1) I would have liked us to sign someone to midfield. AND at the same time I was still not forecasting doom and gloom even though we did not. I do not believe that say signing N'Dombele would have increased our chances. Both things can be true at the same time.
2) I do not find it too likely that we will win the league. And I would not call season a huge dissapointment if we don't. I mean would you say that last 3 campaigns have been dissapointment?!? At the same time I without a doubt would HOPE and ROOT for us to win it. But still deep down, I find that is not likely. Yes, I believe we are capable of winning it. But there is more than our capability - few bricks have to fall into right places on top of that. And I would not be crying if they will not fall to the place they should and we'll end up in 2nd or 3rd place for example.

Such things are not down to one or two results. Most likely you just see different posters giving their view of things, that's all :) .

We will see posters who slagged off the club the entire summer and write off the season start backtracking and claiming we are not challengers. That’s already happened.

So, the reason for their outrage at the window was that we supposedly fucked up our chances of challenging our rivals for top spot, by not signing anyone.

When you take into account the players these posters wanted: Martial, Sessengon, Ndombele, Grealish (some) and Zaha, would it not be fair to conclude that these are players that were deemed to be the difference makers?

Or did they want us to “spend big” to finish 4th?

I see nothing better than we have on that list, and said so all summer. People talk too much shit and then can’t even stand for their views.

Back
Top Bottom