Dempsey

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

jbtxspurs said:
penpen said:
jbtxspurs said:
its too bad the they have looked like complete garbage since then. However it is great to see that Dempsey scored

Yup, that was some dire, brainless stuff.
My bad, I was giving an opinion of my National teams performance in their match tonight. After Dempsey scored his goal 35 seconds in, they couldn't do anything and said I that I was glad to see that Dempsey scored a goal (after not playing in a match for over 2 months)

Nah I understood you dude and I agree -- USMNT looked terrible.

SanDiegoYiddo said:
Blanchflower said:
Finally Dempsey heard: Yes, it's official. And all the stress melted. He had become the highest-salaried soccer player in U.S. history,

Is that true? Not Landon Donovan?
LandyCakes makes about $2m a year I think, and Deuce is now making $22m over 3 years.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/clint_dempsey/status/243397958765256705[/tweet]

:dempsey2: looks like wrong figures

Dempsey talking shit to Jamaicans tonight

trollface.gif

Also, after watching Dempsey tonight I'm not sure if he'll be ready to start this weekend. His first touch was not quite there and he still is finding the flow of the game. On the bright side he got 180 minutes during the international break so hopefully he'll be ready to go soon since I think he will bring an incredibly valuable dimension to the squad.

widescreen, for full effect:

DEMPSEY-BITCHFACE.gif

As has already been stated, he has a bit to go before he's back to full fitness. Though he stayed on for the entire match, he was completely spent after sixty minutes.

jlb1705 said:
widescreen, for full effect:

[ Image ]

As has already been stated, he has a bit to go before he's back to full fitness. Though he stayed on for the entire match, he was completely spent after sixty minutes.

I've never understood why Mexicans hate Donovan so much more than Dempsey (I guess it's because Donovan has been an assassin to them so many times). Dempsey is just such a bigger trash talker and general pain in the ass. A guy you love on your team and hate on someone else's.

jlb1705 said:

Perfect replacement for Rafa then.

I think we've found our new target for abuse when the going gets bad mid-winter...

He wasn't Bale yesterday, but then again, not many are...

For me, Gallas was worse, he put in a real 'blamers' performance, always pointing at everyone else to 'show his superior authority that comes with age', yet when it comes down to HIM to show his maturity and experience, he passes it straight to Chelsea (twice) who score (twice) ...if I didn't know any better......

I think we've found our new target for abuse when the going gets bad mid-winter...

And thats one of the problems with our support. Once the mud sticks....it sticks, and soon Dempsey should never ever be picked ever ever ever, despite the fact he could have a good game.

Walkers next.

3 worst players (by far) based on player ratings collated thus far for the Chelsea game are:

1. Gallas
2. Walker
3. Dempsey

All have a rating well below 5.

Dempsey's season rating so far (having started 6 games) is 5.98 on this forum.

The only players who have less are: Adebayor (5.95 - 4 games (all 4 sub)), Walker (5.90 - 10 games), Assou-Ekotto (5.78 - 3 games) and Livermore (5.42 - 4 games (1 sub)).

He needs to up his game, criticism of him (and Walker) is not unjustified.

He needs to up his game, criticism of him (and Walker) is not unjustified.

We need to differentiate between abuse and critique. Everytime this kind of discussion takes place, people start crossing wires.

Same with Redknapp. When people abused him, and others defended him, they were usually hit with "he has faults and its ok to point them out".

Two different things.

We can sit here and say Walker has been woeful at times this season, without abusing him.
And we can say its a fucking disgrace to abuse him, without pretending that he hasnt made some bad mistakes.

Dempsey's ball control and dribbling this season has not been up to par, I agree. Whenever he gets the ball close to the box he thinks he is Messi and will somehow come out of a wall of 4 defenders with the ball just in time to make a chip shot.

To be fair, Sig seemed to give up possession just as much, if not more. Anyone know where to get statistics on these things?

And thats one of the problems with our support. Once the mud sticks....it sticks, and soon Dempsey should never ever be picked ever ever ever, despite the fact he could have a good game.

Walkers next.
Are you saying that AVB
Dempsey's ball control and dribbling this season has not been up to par, I agree. Whenever he gets the ball close to the box he thinks he is Messi and will somehow come out of a wall of 4 defenders with the ball just in time to make a chip shot.

To be fair, Sig seemed to give up possession just as much, if not more. Anyone know where to get statistics on these things?
This is why both should be benched and Adebayor given a run behind Defoe.

Both players are, to me, game change players, but they are players that need to be used when the tactics are suitable. Yesterday proved that if you try and fit them in just as starting players then it's possible for them to pretty much go missing. I'd rather see Ade starting and then seeing someone like Dempsey coming on in the 17th minute as an impact sub to grab a key goal, than the opposite, which we are getting at the moment. Plus, quite simply, Adebayor is the better players (whether you 'merkins like that or not :baletroll:).

I'm probably just being naive but I really don't think we've seen a fair reflection of Dempsey's skills yet. After coming into the side with no preseason, he's had to take a pivotal role for his country in both of the international breaks we've had so far, and I think he's just jaded. I would say bench him for a week or so, making appearances from the bench, until he's fresh and bedded in.

I'm probably just being naive but I really don't think we've seen a fair reflection of Dempsey's skills yet. After coming into the side with no preseason, he's had to take a pivotal role for his country in both of the international breaks we've had so far, and I think he's just jaded. I would say bench him for a week or so, making appearances from the bench, until he's fresh and bedded in.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but quite a bit of his time with Fulham was as a key impact sub.....and he has been signed by us based on those performances. I'm thinking that if we expect something completely different from him we may be expecting too much.

Back
Top Bottom