Dempsey

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Correct me if I'm wrong, but quite a bit of his time with Fulham was as a key impact sub.....and he has been signed by us based on those performances. I'm thinking that if we expect something completely different from him we may be expecting too much.

To be honest he was more of a 90 minute workhorse for Fulham the last few seasons. Doesn't mean he couldn't adapt his game for us though.

This is why both should be benched and Adebayor given a run behind Defoe.

Both players are, to me, game change players, but they are players that need to be used when the tactics are suitable. Yesterday proved that if you try and fit them in just as starting players then it's possible for them to pretty much go missing. I'd rather see Ade starting and then seeing someone like Dempsey coming on in the 17th minute as an impact sub to grab a key goal, than the opposite, which we are getting at the moment. Plus, quite simply, Adebayor is the better players (whether you 'merkins like that or not :baletroll:).

This.

Although I've really liked JD playing a little deeper this season, think he's had some really good moments linking the play, so would have them the other way round. But I can see a case for both sides...

Either way though, it gets game time for Ade and takes a little pressure off of Deuce and Siggy.[/quote]

You are right. Ade needs more playing time, but yesterday (and despite his recent return to fitness) I would take Sig or Demps over that performance anytime.

This is why both should be benched and Adebayor given a run behind Defoe.

Both players are, to me, game change players, but they are players that need to be used when the tactics are suitable. Yesterday proved that if you try and fit them in just as starting players then it's possible for them to pretty much go missing. I'd rather see Ade starting and then seeing someone like Dempsey coming on in the 17th minute as an impact sub to grab a key goal, than the opposite, which we are getting at the moment. Plus, quite simply, Adebayor is the better players (whether you 'merkins like that or not :baletroll:).

This.

Although I've really liked JD playing a little deeper this season, think he's had some really good moments linking the play, so would have them the other way round. But I can see a case for both sides...

Either way though, it gets game time for Ade and takes a little pressure off of Deuce and Siggy.

In defence of a few of our players, I think a few are still finding it difficult to fit in to the team.

Probably going to get flamed for this, but Dempsey and Sigurdsson don't become bad players overnight.

At the beginning of the season we lost VdV, Modric and King... not to mention we are probably not going to see Parker this season. That is four key players gone. Not just key as in difficult to replace, but key to the way we played last season. We have a new manager with a slightly different system and style of playing and I think in some games we have seen that some players are still learning about when and where players will make runs.

The squad has been overhauled quite dramatically and it is still going to take some time for them to settle. It's just going to take a while to Dempsey to develop how he plays with the team around him. Some players just click (Cisse at Newcastle,... though he has dropped of this season) others take time.

Summary: He's not been great, but to early to jump on his back.
:dempsey:

My contribution: I think Dempsey is shit.

Haha, nah, not really. Honestly, AVB isn't starting Dempsey due to some astrological interpretation - he is playing him because he thinks he can do the part, and I'll wager the manager has some evidence to believe that. It's also unlikely that Dempers was expecting to be plotted out on the left (due to Bale's offspring making an untimely appearance). You could see him and Jan weren't on the same page, or him and Spurs weren't on the same page.

I find it hard to el' comprehendo' that he was running backwards because he thinks it's really awesome and shows how confident he is. He was trying to find players, trying to find the midfield. Is this because he is a shit footballer? Probably not. He can't receive the ball and burn rubber down the touch line, e.g. Gareth Bale, because he just isn't that fast. So he has to try play to his strengths (if those exist (trollface).

The next 2 months are packed with games - I rate we are going to see the team start playing together a lot better and hopefully see Dempsey and Siggy start feeling more at home.

Support SPURS or die trying :vert:

In Dempsey's defense, he was asked to play a ton of minutes for the US in important games for the team. He's a quality central player, and to imagine that his international duties had nothing to do with an admittedly sluggish performance is a bit short sighted. He (and Gylfi) will eventually get settled in the team and we will win games. I think he will score more than his share of goals this season, especially once Dembele and Bale get back in the team.
:dempsey2:

I don't think anyone on this forum is suggesting Dempsey is inherently the 4 or 5 player his ratings for Saturday suggest. I think the worst one could say is that Dempsey doesn't have what it takes to be considered undroppable in a Top Four side, which strikes me as uncontroversial. But I'd say the same is true about anyone up front in our side except maybe Adebayor, who seems to be the least likely to be recalled. So what do I know.

I'm sad JT wasn't on the pitch, else Deuce could have possibly fished at least a card out of Dean's pocket.

dg8vG.jpg

http://www.whoareyadesigns.com/product-p/dce2.htm

Too bad it's in red.

I'd still like to see Dembele in the more attacking role and backed by Sandro and Parker , Dempsey and Gylfi have been dissapoiniting. Gylfi because he lacks confidence , Dempsey because he has a bit too much of it ... IMO

Agree completely Belgian. Once Scott Parker is fit again, however long that will take he needs to be playing because he is a monster. Sandro is a monster. Dembele is a monster. Gylfi and Clint are yet to find they're scary aide for us, and if they haven't done it by then they need to be dropped. If we do progress in the EL then they will have time to bed in then. Also Dembele is my favourite Spurs player to watch since Berbatov, cheers for that Belgian

Agree completely Belgian. Once Scott Parker is fit again, however long that will take he needs to be playing because he is a monster. Sandro is a monster. Dembele is a monster. Gylfi and Clint are yet to find they're scary aide for us, and if they haven't done it by then they need to be dropped. If we do progress in the EL then they will have time to bed in then. Also Dembele is my favourite Spurs player to watch since Berbatov, cheers for that Belgian

Same here , seems we love the same style of football. The players that make everything look so easy , Dembele even has the workrate that the other one lacked.

In defence of a few of our players, I think a few are still finding it difficult to fit in to the team.

Probably going to get flamed for this, but Dempsey and Sigurdsson don't become bad players overnight.

At the beginning of the season we lost VdV, Modric and King... not to mention we are probably not going to see Parker this season. That is four key players gone. Not just key as in difficult to replace, but key to the way we played last season. We have a new manager with a slightly different system and style of playing and I think in some games we have seen that some players are still learning about when and where players will make runs.

The squad has been overhauled quite dramatically and it is still going to take some time for them to settle. It's just going to take a while to Dempsey to develop how he plays with the team around him. Some players just click (Cisse at Newcastle,... though he has dropped of this season) others take time.

Sibs busting out the Andale Mono font........

NXV1u.gif

It was mentioned by a mate of mine that Dempsey is the player we will need toward the end of the season, quite how they know that, I don't know but for the time being I can't help feeling as though there is additional pressure on him where possibly Sigurdsson is avoiding growing concern (not criticism), there is nothing wrong with having him as a sub - and Adebayor is more than capable of being the link up player.

The one thing that is apparent that I hadn't been entirely sure of previously, Dempsey doesn't play one of three attacking positions, he is no wide player, whatsoever.

Microsoft word motherfucker

Logged in to Facebook. One of the people that show up in my connections is a former staff member at my old high school.

He bears an uncanny resemblance to an aged Clint Dempsey.

ouTc0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom