Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United - F.A. Cup Semi-Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To Wembley, next week!

We have played well in semis and badly and still lose, makes no difference it seems sadly

Need to avoid sounding like entitled Gooners as I said the peers of ours villa and Everton are nowhere

Our average league position since 61 is 8th

And we won a trophy in every decade since then bar this one where our average league placings would be well above that figure. I find the notion that we should be accepting of our defeat due to the status of Villa and Everton absolutely absurd. We have one of the most talented sides in English football- few dispute that so why is there is obsession with resources. This only becomes relevant when this side breaks up, it has absolutely no bearing now or in the previous 2 seasons because are team was at least equal to the elite club.

To Wembley, next week!

We have played well in semis and badly and still lose, makes no difference it seems sadly

Need to avoid sounding like entitled Gooners as I said the peers of ours villa and Everton are nowhere

So you think Villa and Everton are our peers. The likes of you are the problem with this club. You bask in our mediocrity. You work to understand failure through the lens of average standings over the last 57 years. How can we possibly hope for anything else with this limp response to failure?

How does a Chelsea/City style takeover mean we win today though or win trophies in future?

Today was a one off game against a team we've already beaten at Wembley this season and beat at home the last three years.

Yet, today we didn't beat them. That's a mentality issue, not an owner issue.

Not winning the league? I can understand blaming our lack of spending. You can't luck your way to a league win. It's consistency over 38 games.

Not winning a trophy? That's an issue with the mentality of the players and the manager, not our lack of having a City/Chelsea style owner . You get one off games where things can fall your way. Wigan, Swansea, Portsmouth aren't better than us, nor do they have a better mentality than us, yet all 3 have won a trophy since we last did.

this team is a centimetre away from greatness. I Wish I knew how to traverse that last few millimetres.
Our goal was a thing of beauty - perfection in its efficiency and incisiveness. Better than their goals. I will console myself with that. Love you all coz your us!

Why do you keep comparing us to Villa and Everton?
We are Spurs. We have a much wider fan base, UK and worldwide, than those historical giants. A turnover that's bigger than those two clubs combined.
How can you say that our fans, that have seen less silverware than Pompey, Wigan and Leicester this century are becoming entitled?

So you think Villa and Everton are our peers. The likes of you are the problem with this club. You bask in our mediocrity. You work to understand failure through the lens of average standings over the last 57 years. How can we possibly hope for anything else with this limp response to failure?

I don’t need the insults or being called a problem, you know I don’t get involved in the handbags so you can lay off it

I am one of the most positive on here I genuinely thought we would win 2-0 today, it hurts, I just quickly look at big picture, champions league regular semi finals, we are in a spot where we are competing with the best, would love to win something to put a bow on it but let me ask you, did you prefer the times under Jol or the trophy under Ramos or George Graham?

I am loving the fact we compete every week with these rich clubs and cunts like Liverpool who dispise us being up there with them

I remember cheering when we came back to only lose 3-2 to Charlton, years in Paxton seeing a right mess, so if me enjoying where we are now is a problem then yes I am

Why do you keep comparing us to Villa and Everton?
We are Spurs. We have a much wider fan base, UK and worldwide, than those historical giants. A turnover that's bigger than those two clubs combined.
How can you say that our fans, that have seen less silverware than Pompey, Wigan and Leicester this century are becoming entitled?

You wouldn’t swap with any of Pompey Wigan or Leicester John would you? Of course not come on

You know me I don’t look for fights just understand my point of view, I know we are hurting tonight but outside of a trophy we are competing and been relatively successful to past times you know this, new stadium a couple of fresh faces we’ll get stronger, I believe and I think you do too

So glad I'm not a Man Utd. fan. if I had to watch that anti-football shit every week I'd gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons. Although we lost at least we did so trying to play proper football.

What happens next? Today hurt alot and as much as I look at our team and manager and feel as though it's the best I've seen in my lifetime (I'm 26), I want to see us hit that next level. How do we get there.

I'm drunk. It hurts. I wanted the FA cup.

You wouldn’t swap with any of Pompey Wigan or Leicester John would you? Of course not come on

You know me I don’t look for fights just understand my point of view, I know we are hurting tonight but outside of a trophy we are competing and been relatively successful to past times you know this, new stadium a couple of fresh faces we’ll get stronger, I believe and I think you do too
I take your point on Wigan , Leicester and Pompey. I was Just using them to explain our fans frustration. But I do think that saying Villa and Everton are our peers is wrongly using those clubs as a benchmark and belittling our status as a modern day big club.
We are bigger than them in every way apart from historical silverware. Our support this season shows the potential of our great football club. We have under achieved for years. If we start believing we are over achieving as your comparisons suggest, then we can only go downhill from here

The funny thing is, I couldn’t give a fuck about the FA Cup. It’s meaningless. I’m just angry at how weak we are as a club. We roll over. We bottle it. Time after time.
The players are mostly lazy and waiting for their big move. The fans are quiet, polite, and like to keep in mind that things could be worse. Insipid.

Is anyone else feeling like this could be a very ‘spursy’ end to the season?

Tough to take this one... and a very important 4 games in the league to come. The annoying jibba jabba wankers in the media are going to make it a torrid time for us after this defeat. So we have to be ready to finish strongly. Coys.

Ah, well, not the end of the world. Not the end of our club. Not the end of our project.

But what really hurt me was our players indifference. Looking at how we played after they took the lead, there was not a single moment when I felt like we could hit one back. Actually this could be said for the whole time since 1-1 goal.

United did not play exceptionally today. No.
They were beatable but we ... I don't know what the right word even is... anyways we just did not deserve to progress from this pair. And we have absolutely no external factors to blame. No major referee decision, not distracting competitions, not too brutal opponents - nothing. We fu*ked it up ourselves and it feels bad.

Is anyone else feeling like this could be a very ‘spursy’ end to the season?

Tough to take this one... and a very important 4 games in the league to come. The annoying jibba jabba wankers in the media are going to make it a torrid time for us after this defeat. So we have to be ready to finish strongly. Coys.
its deflating and tht tie earlierin the week was very telling, out of steam

Yet, today we didn't beat them. That's a mentality issue, not an owner issue.
It is owner issue. When chelsea and mancity were bought by oligarchs and sheikhs, they spent on marquee players and started from bottom wining FA and league cups and then going to winning PL and CL (chelsea's case) titles.
We do not have these marquee players to change the mentality of the team. Our owner has limited spending budget on players. Look at the salaries we pay.
How many of current Spurs players have won cups or titles before joining the club? I think NONE.
How many cups and titles did Poch win as manager before joining Spurs? I think NONE.
Don’t just press disagree button but reply if any of the post is not true.

Last edited:
In sport, as in life, there will be trying times, when things go badly, sometimes it's your fault, sometimes not - getting through those bad times, with your head held high, without criticising others or giving up, is what characterises you as a person.

Defeat will of course help shape these young sportsmen and this manager - good times will come, and when they do they will be all the sweeter, because we have earned it.

Perhaps we will win the league, perhaps we won't. But I hope we will never buy success like City or play non-football like United. Let them win the Cup in that fashion if they want, I support Spurs for a reason.

It's just a game you know - and I believe it is better to try and fail, with honour and glory, than to buy and/or cheat our way to success. People who accuse us of 'bottling' don't understand or love the glorious game, they love 'winning' things - that's not sport and it is, literally, not sporting. I don't like them and I don't ever want to be like them.

Birmingham City. Swansea City. Wigan. Some of the cup winners since the last time we won a trophy.

Stoke. Aston Villa. Hull. Southampton. Bradford. Cardiff. Sunderland. Some of the cup finalists since we last won a trophy.

I don't expect us to win the league, we don't have the squad or the finances. But you don't need to be mega rich to reach the final of a cup, plenty of lesser clubs have managed it. Which makes it even more frustrating that we seemingly can't.

I don't agree with "We can't afford to win things/get to finals", as clearly people with less can and do.

Back
Top Bottom