Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United - F.A. Cup Semi-Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reflecting on how I felt at the the start of the season, at the very least we look to have top four nailed and that was a worry playing at Wembley and not at the Lane this year. Shame we couldn't do in there when it really counted in the cup. That's the only real positive for me, although how much of that is down to Chelsea and Woolwich falling like they have is another matter. That's the only real silver lining along with our impressive performances in the CL, although that being said I don't want us to turn in to Woolwich and the top four being a trophy either and just only going so far in that competition every year. It's depressing not getting any silverware though either way.

The worry is that next time we get to the semi final, it is likely that again we will face a top 6 club but will not have the advantage of having played at Wembley all season.

The worry is that next time we get to the semi final, it is likely that again we will face a top 6 club but will not have the advantage of having played at Wembley all season.

Our opponents don't have the advantage of playing at Wembley all season though..

Our opponents don't have the advantage of playing at Wembley all season though..
Unless it's Chelsea when they're there!

Tbh I don't think it makes a huge difference. A lot of things are different on the day, most notably the amount of fans in the ground. Someone told me before the game that teams play a "neutral" match at their home ground often tend to lose, citing Bayern in the CL vs Chelsea, and some other games I can't remember... maybe France in euros when they lost to Portugal?, Roma vs Liverpool in the 80s, some others too.

Why are you asking me? Ask the deluded fans.
:pocheyes:
Why rip into your own fans for showing belief in their team? I simply don't get this, unless it's 2012 when it's absolutely clear we aren't contenders. Did you not cheer Dele's goal in the Semi-Final because it wasn't at the final whistle, because if you did cheer it that would have made you delusional wouldn't it?

Why rip into your own fans for showing belief in their team? I simply don't get this, unless it's 2012 when it's absolutely clear we aren't contenders. Did you not cheer Dele's goal in the Semi-Final because it wasn't at the final whistle, because if you did cheer it that would have made you delusional wouldn't it?
I think you misunderstood my point, this is what I meant:
Early in the season, some fans thought we could win the PL which is possible But it is not realistic expectation.
We lost to manu last weekend, those same fans are now saying we lost to manu because they spent £750m, they are higher than us in the table and they are the better team.
We could have won the SF but motivation and mental strength is whats questionable and I believe that comes from the management down to the players. Second half in Wembley was very tough to watch.

I think you misunderstood my point, this is what I meant:
Early in the season, some fans thought we could win the PL which is possible But it is not realistic expectation.
We lost to manu last weekend, those same fans are now saying we lost to manu because they spent £750m, they are higher than us in the table and they are the better team.
We could have won the SF but motivation and mental strength is whats questionable and I believe that comes from the management down to the players. Second half in Wembley was very tough to watch.
We have been the only team to challenge for a title (even though it wasn't taken to the death) for two years on the trot, so it's only right for supporters to have belief in their side to compete again. The caveat to that was playing at Wembley, hard to quantify some chose to ignore it's impact, some thought there must be an impact but couldn't translate this into anything tangible. You say winning the the league wasn't realistic, why because we are playing at Wembley or because we have the 6th highest revenue and therefore the 6th highest wages, or both? (Man U has the highest revenue, is it unrealistic that City have then won the League?)

So you say Man U are the better team, then you say we could have won but lost the semi because we lacked mental strength in the 2nd half. But if they are the better team is it right to call you deluded to think we should have beaten Utd even though they are the better team?
:gallashmm:

Only point I'm trying to make mate is Spurs fans calling other Spurs fans deluded for having a bit of belief in this side is a bit harsh.

Back
Top Bottom