Brighton at Wembley - 13th Dec.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't think we was that great again but a wins a win, could have scored a few more.

Thought Sissoko played well, he had to as Winks was awful.
Lamela did well for his first start back.
Rose wasn't great and neither was Eriksen.
Kane and Son worked tirelessly.
Dier was strong at the back put passing wasn't great.
Aurier did well going forward but still suspect defending.
Vertonghen was ok.
Lloris did well when called upon.

SkySports: 'Two fortunate goals helped Tottenham earn their third home win in a week as they laboured to a 2-0 victory over Brighton at Wembley.'

Now if that was Manchester United, this would've been changed to 'Two world class strikes helped Man Utd hammer Brighton'.

Fucking cunts.

Be interested to know what Brighton fans make of that game. Are they happy watching such turgid, negative football in the hope of a point? Is that the beautiful game that we all fell in love with at some point?
I was sat next to a Brighton fan (nice fella), he was bored shitless, after our first goal he beat me to it by saying "at least we might have a game now". He was somewhat embarrassed, whilst he can see the reason for pragmatism, as a fan he said these games have already been written off as a non result, all he wanted was to see his side giving it a good go against a top side, it's what they have all be dreaming about for for years whilst in Championship, then they get to watch that, it's not living the dream.

What I hated last night was having to endure Spurs fans booing Winks, screaming at him to "pass forward", with every sideways and backwards pass there was genuine anger. I find this fucking astonishing and again these cunts out themselves as knowing fuck all about football. Winks didn't have a great game, in the first half he made a number of poor passes (most of them forward passes that were intercepted or just poor) BUT he was playing a far, far deeper role last night, he was the deepest lying midfielder, his role was to circulate the ball, help move it across the pitch and to draw out Brighton, he did exactly this. Looked over to the touchline after another volley of abuse from our fans following a backwards pass and Poch was going mental on the touchline, waiving his arms at Spurs fans behind him urging them to get behind him, I've never seen him do this, 5-10 mins latter he took him off probably to protect him from our own fans, WHAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING CUNTS!! When a team parks the bus the option to pass forward almost disappears, don't boo your team or players boo the team parking the bus, still fuming.

Horrible game to watch, but exactly what I was expecting, we have many more of these to come. It's not our fault, it's the oppo, time fans started to take their frustration out on the team that parks the bus rather than their own side that's trying all sorts brake down these teams.

Rose is still a long, long, long way off, not complaining as he's been out for a long time but mentioning as all I see is people wanting him to start ahead of Davies, no chance at the moment Davies is miles better. (I would like to see Aurier over Tripps mind). Another very solid game from Dier, great to see Aurier taking on the oppo, it really is a massive difference and I can now see the reasoning from Poch to play both him and Rose against side(s) we expect that will park the bus, as opposed to playing them against a rival or a side that will want to take us on. Poch mentioned that this initial spell of festive period he will get time to work on the new recruits, that bodes well for Aurier and hopefully Poch can coach the defensive side of the game, specifically selling himself short when a ball is played to his oppo, he gets rolled far to easily but it is the only problem to his game I'm guessing but think he's told to be aggressive but needs to make better decisions when to drop and when to challenge.

Great to see Lamella start, thought he was good in the first half but struggled to get on the ball in 2nd, hard to tell if this was him loosing fitness or just team dynamic as a whole. Just having him available adds to our options, be that have Dele on the bench or visa versa, when you can bring on Dembele, Dele or Davies from the bench it's all positive.

Completely deserved 3 points.

I was sat next to a Brighton fan (nice fella), he was bored shitless, after our first goal he beat me to it by saying "at least we might have a game now". He was somewhat embarrassed, whilst he can see the reason for pragmatism, as a fan he said these games have already been written off as a non result, all he wanted was to see his side giving it a good go against a top side, it's what they have all be dreaming about for for years whilst in Championship, then they get to watch that, it's not living the dream.

What I hated last night was having to endure Spurs fans booing Winks, screaming at him to "pass forward", with every sideways and backwards pass there was genuine anger. I find this fucking astonishing and again these cunts out themselves as knowing fuck all about football. Winks didn't have a great game, in the first half he made a number of poor passes (most of them forward passes that were intercepted or just poor) BUT he was playing a far, far deeper role last night, he was the deepest lying midfielder, his role was to circulate the ball, help move it across the pitch and to draw out Brighton, he did exactly this. Looked over to the touchline after another volley of abuse from our fans following a backwards pass and Poch was going mental on the touchline, waiving his arms at Spurs fans behind him urging them to get behind him, I've never seen him do this, 5-10 mins latter he took him off probably to protect him from our own fans, WHAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING CUNTS!! When a team parks the bus the option to pass forward almost disappears, don't boo your team or players boo the team parking the bus, still fuming.

Horrible game to watch, but exactly what I was expecting, we have many more of these to come. It's not our fault, it's the oppo, time fans started to take their frustration out on the team that parks the bus rather than their own side that's trying all sorts brake down these teams.

Rose is still a long, long, long way off, not complaining as he's been out for a long time but mentioning as all I see is people wanting him to start ahead of Davies, no chance at the moment Davies is miles better. (I would like to see Aurier over Tripps mind). Another very solid game from Dier, great to see Aurier taking on the oppo, it really is a massive difference and I can now see the reasoning from Poch to play both him and Rose against side(s) we expect that will park the bus, as opposed to playing them against a rival or a side that will want to take us on. Poch mentioned that this initial spell of festive period he will get time to work on the new recruits, that bodes well for Aurier and hopefully Poch can coach the defensive side of the game, specifically selling himself short when a ball is played to his oppo, he gets rolled far to easily but it is the only problem to his game I'm guessing but think he's told to be aggressive but needs to make better decisions when to drop and when to challenge.

Great to see Lamella start, thought he was good in the first half but struggled to get on the ball in 2nd, hard to tell if this was him loosing fitness or just team dynamic as a whole. Just having him available adds to our options, be that have Dele on the bench or visa versa, when you can bring on Dembele, Dele or Davies from the bench it's all positive.

Where do you sit? Didn’t hear any of that near us. Shame anyway. There really wasn’t much space to play into last night.

Didn’t hear any booing at all though.
But it’s like being at the theatre where I sit :(

Where do you sit? Didn’t hear any of that near us. Shame anyway. There really wasn’t much space to play into last night.

I'm level with penalty spot, towards home end (kind of "old shelf"). More jeering than booing I suppose, but it was audible throughout the entire stadium. Been written about in some of the press too.

On the whole I've been pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere this season, I was expecting it to be far worse than it has been. Not saying it's been great but it's above my expectations (last night was shite though).

It was very noticeable on the stream, just before he got taken off he had to pass back when we were moving forward, he didn't have a forward pass on because Brighton had a fucking wall in front of him but you could hear a massed moan from the crowd...

You my good sir, nailed it.

I really hate this complaining at your own side when the oppossition parks the buss thing. Take it out on the oppossition parking the buss rather than on our guys. booing your own players is to me just weird.

You my good sir, nailed it.

I really hate this complaining at your own side when the oppossition parks the buss thing. Take it out on the oppossition parking the buss rather than on our guys. booing your own players is to me just weird.

Parking the bus and time wasting from the start, I really hope one day soon a ref has the balls to clamp down on time wasting in the first half! :dembelefingers:

Yes it's more than likely that we'll be back in 7th by the end of the weekend BUT we have a reasonable set of fixtures over xmas, a period which, under Poch, we traditionally do very well in. The Gooners have to play Liverpool and Chelsea at home.
Fingers crossed that Lamela being back, Wanyama returning, and Sanchez being eligible again will give us a boost post-Man-City regardless of Saturday's result.

Looked over to the touchline after another volley of abuse from our fans following a backwards pass and Poch was going mental on the touchline, waiving his arms at Spurs fans behind him urging them to get behind him, I've never seen him do this, 5-10 mins latter he took him off probably to protect him from our own fans, WHAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING CUNTS!!
Thanks for sharing this. On my stream, the commentary mentioned fans 'making their feelings clear' about us not passing the ball forward enough but didn't realise it was that bad.

Waving at the fans to get them off a player's back is something I'd expect to happen with Conte at Chelsea, but not us. Arseholes.
:llorishuh:

Completely agree with this, was all a bit much at times. At 1-0 60/70 mins into a game we really needed to win there were people jeering and moaning that Winks etc weren't playing killer through balls and chasing more and more goals. There were times when if he did try to play the ball against there wall of 10 players, and lost, it we'd have been struggling at the back.

He's only young and has been exceptional at times this season, to get on his back is a bit strong. That said if he starts Saturday he'll need to be on top of his game.

I'm getting a bit tired of reading how unbelievable flukey our first goal was. If Serge hadn't been fouled it would have been a great cross for Harry who was beating his marker and would have had a fairly easy header home.

Nothing spawny at all about the second

Completely agree with this, was all a bit much at times. At 1-0 60/70 mins into a game we really needed to win there were people jeering and moaning that Winks etc weren't playing killer through balls and chasing more and more goals. There were times when if he did try to play the ball against there wall of 10 players, and lost, it we'd have been struggling at the back.

He's only young and has been exceptional at times this season, to get on his back is a bit strong. That said if he starts Saturday he'll need to be on top of his game.
I get the frustration, I was frustrated, but all they fucking do is say "forward", that's it. When you ask them who to, they haven't got a clue, they are sitting in the stand and got a view of the entire fucking pitch, yet they haven't even got their head up to see who is on for this magical forward pass he should be making. They also haven't noticed that he's playing in a deep lying pivot on his own, yet are expecting a through ball to break their three lines of narrow set defence set up with the sole intention of stopping a through ball or a ball over the top.

Thanks for sharing this. On my stream, the commentary mentioned fans 'making their feelings clear' about us not passing the ball forward enough but didn't realise it was that bad.

Waving at the fans to get them off a player's back is something I'd expect to happen with Conte at Chelsea, but not us. Arseholes.
:llorishuh:

The sense of entitlement that has crept into large number so of our suporters is disappointing, combine that with a poor understanding of tactical football and having tabloid rags and talksport as your major source of influence is a recipe for disaster.

Its not just the youngsters either, which would at least be more understandable, i've heard it coming from fans who should be old enough to remember a time where things were much, much worse than they are now.

I dont want to come across as preachy, there is an argument to say that people pay their money and can support the club in anyway they see fit (equally i have the right to tell you to stop being a moany old cunt if you are ruining my matchday experience with your stream of constant negativity). But at no point last night where we losing!! it was probably the most comfortable win we will have all season. Brighton offered very little threat of their own.

Some propper flapping going on in here at 1-0 and in my mind we were MORE likely to lose the ball and conceded on the break by pushing too hard for a second than we were just keeping possession. Good game management is what makes league winners.

EDIT: Oh and to the cries of "if we play like this against City then they'll piss all over us". We weren't playing fucking City! We barely got out of first gear because there was no need to. Why knacker ourselves unnecessarily with our third game in a week and a relentless xmas period coming up?

Last edited:
Be interested to know what Brighton fans make of that game. Are they happy watching such turgid, negative football in the hope of a point? Is that the beautiful game that we all fell in love with at some point?
If they opened up they'd lose by a large margin. Can't blame them for not making it easy for us, especially when we just did the same against Real and were so proud of it ourselves

If they opened up they'd lose by a large margin. Can't blame them for not making it easy for us, especially when we just did the same against Real and were so proud of it ourselves
We did attack though mate regularly and against Dortmund at Wembley constantly, looked like we would score with every counter as we committed players to the attack.

Brighton and many of the other bus parkers we have faced at Wembley this season haven't even tried to attack, offered absolutely fuck all. Even when they have a couple of dangerous players to counter with none of these teams committed more than two men to their counter-attack, Palace from memory where the only side to do this with Townsend and Zaha, both utterly shambolic in their finishing or final ball. But all the other teams just desperately relying on their lone attacker to put his head down and get on with something on his own.

Thanks for sharing this...
It's probably 'cos they are the SAME set of tourist fans who turned up on a whim last night... and who will no doubt also be at Stamford Bridge on Saturday as part of their 7-day "London Football Travel Package"!!!!

Back
Top Bottom